It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:04 am 

is myst online really gonna be more popular then world of warcraf?more ppl? i like my games really popular with a lotta ppl playen it,if anyone knows...thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe eventually, but seeing as how we just launched to the public this month, I don't think we're going to have 6 million players by Christmas...

It'd be nice, but I don't think it'll happen overnight :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:12 am 

Wow, it sure would be nice to have 6 million Uru players. ("Wow" as in the interjection, not the game)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:16 am 
Obduction Backer

I doubt Uru Live will ever surpass WoW, although it's nice to think about..

as far as only wanting to play really popular games though.. consider Robert Frost:

"Two roads diverged in the wood and I- I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."

Don't define what you play by how popular it is, play by how much you enjoy it.

Millions may be playing WoW but you're not going to see all of them, you stand a much greater chance of making friends in a smaller community like Uru. Plus really all you need to build a community with a bunch of people to meet is 10,000+, which I'm sure Uru can achieve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:27 am 

I think that close to 10,000 signed up for the beta alone. We've got nearly that many on this forum. I'm sure that we will quickly pass this mark once the details with launch are worked out.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:44 am 

Well, I have trouble thinking of URU Live as a "game." I mean, there is no competition, no winning and losing, etc. It is a wonderfully community-oriented adventure. New content will keep us all enthralled. But it is not for folks who like to slash and burn, gather new weapons and goods, climb to different levels of power, hack the program, etc.

But once you step into the URU Live and its people, I think it is extremely addictive in its own right. It is an indulgence, selfish, and a wonderful personal and valuable experience of a much higher order than if you walked down to the local pub, hmm?

The sales-pitch comparisons to WOW are rather lame and misdirected. They should be flooding sites like JustAdventure.com with promo posts and ads. Their marketing needs focus and reality, I think.

I also think that a value-based reissue of URU the CD game, offering URU LIVE (as it was originally packaged) would zoom sales and zoom subscribers here. That is what first drew me to URU.

All of that is not my stake, however. I love the game and the people. Anyone who was involved with URU then URU Live in 2003 will tell you that it changed their lives. URU Live is a "game" that you play with your heart, and when you are done there is no guilt, no thought of wasted time.

Must be time for bed -- I'm getting sentimental. Night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
Maybe eventually, but seeing as how we just launched to the public this month, I don't think we're going to have 6 million players by Christmas...

It'd be nice, but I don't think it'll happen overnight :).

Sez you...... :D People also said that UruLive will never come back...... :wink:

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:28 pm 

I agree there should be a box version.

I had a friend who was going to buy a $10 copy of the Complete Chronicles, and came to me to ask if it was worth it. I said yes, but that $10 would buy you a month of the MMO version.

If I hadn't been there, he might have bought CC, which is kinda boring unless you're into D'ni history, just because the storyline doesn't have any mystery almost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:40 pm 

lego_addict wrote:
I agree there should be a box version.

Containing what? The current state of things? That much is essentially reflected in Complete Chronicles (in fact, that contains a lot more at this point). Or should there be boxes every other month? That would be a huge amount of testing and publishing overhead.

I don't see what good a boxed version would do.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:36 pm 

A boxed version would include a free month of Live via Gametap, for the people who wouldn't normally use Gametap or who don't download content. As surprising as it is, there are a lot of people out there who play games offline and only use AOL or otherwise just check email. There is absolutely an audience, especially for the over-40 set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:39 pm 

I was particularely thinking of the installer. It's a bit big for the internet. Some people with slower connections might want to buy a box and then get a free month of GT or something like that.

It would give URU good publicity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

having something on the shelf as an impulse buy is always a good thing :)

its a lot easier to say to your friend. Hey go play UrU live its £10 off the shelf in the PC section in game (or some other retailer). Than saying. Hey go play uru. First you need to go to www.gametap.com then you need to make an account then you need to download gametap and then download the 300MB + client which might take you and hour or two depending on what your connection is.

dont ya think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:00 pm 

Romer Openfield wrote:
A boxed version would include a free month of Live via Gametap, for the people who wouldn't normally use Gametap or who don't download content. As surprising as it is, there are a lot of people out there who play games offline and only use AOL or otherwise just check email. There is absolutely an audience, especially for the over-40 set.

You're suggesting, though, that those people would be playing offline. In that case, how would they solve multiplayer puzzles?

Samsbase wrote:
having something on the shelf as an impulse buy is always a good thing :)

its a lot easier to say to your friend. Hey go play UrU live its £10 off the shelf in the PC section in game (or some other retailer). Than saying. Hey go play uru. First you need to go to www.gametap.com then you need to make an account then you need to download gametap and then download the 300MB + client which might take you and hour or two depending on what your connection is.

dont ya think ?

Oh, but it's "it's £10 off the shelf in the PC sections at your game retailer. you drive there, locate it, buy it, drive back home, install it, run it." vs. "it's a 300 MB free download at GameTap.com. you go there, download, install, run."

You could start off as a visitor, so you wouldn't have to actually create an account, or any kind of payment.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:41 pm 

It seems to me that a boxed version would save download times for the initial setup. It is a pretty large file. Also, once setup, it would put a lot less stress on the servers for people playing their initial levels. The boxed versions could contain basic versions of all the initial levels. Updates would only need to download differences that are newer than what is on the person's machine. I know that Myst Online requires broadband, but there are different speeds. Efficient use of the bandwidth could be good. When a level is revised, there could be a flag. That way, levels like the cleft could be played mostly offline, without lag. That way, certain ages, that aren't updated often, would not affect the overall game as a whole. The system that they have works fairly well. I'm not sure if it still works like this, but when I first played, there was a lot of drive activity, as I played each level -- as well as a long initial update period. I assume that a certain amount of the age was loaded, and the rest loaded as I went. This didn't affect play that much, but network bandwidth could be saved by having a boxed game.

Now, as for WoW, I think that if MOL is to compete, it needs to refine all its interfaces. (mouse, keyboard, & possibly even a game controller) WoW has refined controls that have been evolving, ever since the early days of the SoundBlaster AWE32. The current controls are just right for basic control of your character, but there are things to be desired. I think keyboard movement could be improved. (independent sliding would be nice) I know that not that many people use the keyboard. I also know the Myst Online isn't a high action shooter game. However anything that makes movement and control more smooth will take people's mind off of the interface, and increase the enjoyment of the game. The less often one thinks to him/herself, "I wish I could do this", the more he/she is having a good time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvtTVxkecY

Note, that I'm not neccessarily saying that competition with another game is neccessarily the goal or that it is even neccessary. We are doing a great job of being what we are. I'm just saying that if we ever wanted to be the greatest game on planet Earth, then we might want to think about refining a few things. For now, I'm completely happy. I hope that this endeavor gets support, so that we might one day be able to start thinking about ruling the game world. Consider this: If we become one of the most popular games on the planet through content alone, then we will have no problem becoming #1, if everything else is refined to perfection.

Just some opinions

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:43 pm 

Yep, Myst Online is more popular than WoW. It has better graphics too ;) WoW isn't one of the best MMOs out there. Oh, and it helps things when the Myst series is the series which made the most money from sales!