It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 am 
Obduction Backer

silmefea wrote:
I think that the sounds IC are so fragile, the atmosphere so calm and peaceful, that many explorers are loathe to shatter the silence with words, choosing instead to IM each other.

With the upmost respect, this sounds like trying to find an IC reason for something that is most definitely OOC. There's no way a group of explorers would stand around IMing each other. Whisper, maybe, but whisper's do no damage at all (if everyone in the worlds wispered at the same time, the sum of the energy created by all the wispering would barely light a 40W bulb. Now you know :P.)

I am certain that when DRC members type, we are supposed to take it as speach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:48 am 

Islander wrote:
silmefea wrote:
I think that the sounds IC are so fragile, the atmosphere so calm and peaceful, that many explorers are loathe to shatter the silence with words, choosing instead to IM each other.

With the upmost respect, this sounds like trying to find an IC reason for something that is most definitely OOC. There's no way a group of explorers would stand around IMing each other. Whisper, maybe, but whisper's do no damage at all (if everyone in the worlds wispered at the same time, the sum of the energy created by all the wispering would barely light a 40W bulb. Now you know :P.)

I am certain that when DRC members type, we are supposed to take it as speach.

Having gone spelunking, I can verify that the sound of a whisper from one person will carry and echo. The whispers of so many would be rather loud, methinks.

Still, I would like a clarification on this subject. Are we supposed to pretend we are talking or are we actually typing IC? I really prefer to stay IC as much as possible and pretending we are talking does not help the atmosphere, IMO. I think am going to post this question elsewhere.

Edit: see above mentioned post & poll here: http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5582

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:18 am 
Obduction Backer

I really dislike the voicechat. To me, it's far more OOC than pretending you're talking when you're really typing. The difference in sound volume for different people's voices, not being able to tell which person a voice is coming from, the horrible static, the background noises... no thanks. Not to mention I'd hate having to actually speak through a microphone.

I'll just keep doing here what I do in every game that I RP in: normally typed text in public channels = speaking out loud.
Any official clarification to the contrary isn't going to change that for me either. I'd rather not be forced to use voicechat when I want to be actually speaking out loud IC, thanks.

PMing someone and using the buddy channel and such, though, that I would sooner say is text messaging others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Same here: to me, text messaging via the KI is "speaking" and voice chat is "annoying". :P

Voice chat is a nice thing to use in a small group where everyone is using it, but doesn't really work otherwise. It looks very odd when someone is using voice chat and the rest are using text messages; half of the conversation won't show up in the logs, and it's hard to understand who is speaking. Not to mention when I'm listening to music and suddenly the voice of some unknown person booms through the speakers, drawing attention from anyone else in the house (or piercing my ears if I'm using headphones ;)) and forcing me to either turn the music off or mute the sounds in Uru.

Remember, before using voice chat, ask if other people are ok with it. And please please please don't try and force someone to use voice chat just because you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 pm 

Good post Ian,

I like voice chat for "meetings" in neighborhoods and such, where a small group can get together and really talk. It is easier than typing alll the time, but, having said that, there is a time and a place for only typing, and I think the PUBLIC city is one of those places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:07 pm 

Sorry, I'm a veteran LARPer (don't look at me like that!) and really like the idea of actually speaking when I talk. I'll admit the voicechat needs work, but it is pretty cool.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7