It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:46 pm 

We have been away from the characters too long. We need to get back into the swing of joining the story again.

Like JWPlatt said with his Murder Mystery comments, we need to get invovled on a roll playing level with these characters.

Flash back to the arranged sit-ins around the great stairs and the breaking through the pub barriers.

None of the was done though play only actions, that was all playied out though rollplay interaction with Douglas.

Get to know them personnly, make friends with them, chat (very easily done with Douglas due to getting to know him through his diary).

One thing I think should be done is getting to know Victor more (he seems easier to manipulate :P ) at seeing if we can get fish is DRC site password out of him :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:03 pm 

Why are we protesting about forums?

Forums are easy. I could make a forum and have it hosted on a public server in about two minutes, there are a few others here who could also. Forums are _easy_.

Why not protest for age writing materials (OOC : Age Creation tools / API)

---

I had an idea for a great little app that would let you send and recieve KImail on a computer or cell phone when your away from Uru (sorta like having your KI work in real life, like its supposed to IC) Send and Recieve mail from buddies In-Cavern, check the buddylist (whos gonna be on when I get home?) ect

Problem is, making this app is against the terms of service, and without an API, involves large amounts of reverse-engineering of the Uru Client.

--

For us to truely be able to do anything besides sit-ins, we need some method of expression, that goes beyond talking or kicking cones. Those tools are the building blocks of Uru, and are probably more important than any new age or storyline ever could be.

Thats what I mean when I say do something. We can make all the forums we want (we even have GD's direct approval for them) We need to protest to get those tools released!

Imagine what could be done with them.

Don't like the DRC interfering with the City but still wanna be a part of a political type story? Start excavating your own areas! (OOC : Building your own) Explorers could form their own AEC - Age Exploration Club, and work together on new ages to release to the community at large. Then, instead of *hearing about* decisions the DRC made, you could *actively decide / vote / participate* in the decisions your own AEC made.

If we got more neighborhood controls, perhaps owners could pick which books they had on display in the book room, from the assortment of DRC ages or their own (a neighborhood could write its own age and display it there)

Or you and friend could be talking about that latest, still "unsafe" age. Since you are on the AEC assigned to restore it, the "still unsafe" book is sitting in your relto bookshelf, and the two of you can explore the age before its finished. (And if you hit bugs or whatever, its ok. Because IC its not finished restoring yet, lucky you had your relto book, right?)

Sure, we can protest the forums, and thats a noble cause. You'll probably get them back, too. But in the long run, that hasnt achieved much. If we keep letting the DRC decide whats going on, they really will run the cavern.

Its time for us to demand a position in the restoration!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Leonor wrote:
What time did Greydragon come in? I'm afraid I went to bed too early yesterday.

I find this quite impressive:

Quote:
(02/07 00:31:22) Greydragon: Do we have an over arching story for the next 5 years?
(02/07 00:31:24) Greydragon: yes
(02/07 00:31:37) Greydragon: Do we have a smaller story for a year
(02/07 00:31:40) Greydragon: yes

Am I the only person here who actually likes Cate?

Well the timestamps on the messages should tell you, those are GMT so he came at about 7 PM.

And I'm on the Pro-Cate side still.. she's actually motivating the DRC to DO STUFF.. I'm not going to be participating in the sit-in on Thursday because I don't support their ideology, but I do plan to be in the city then and I will help spread the word about it, because I do support their willingness to try to make an impact on things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Kedra wrote:
We're about exploration!

I agree. Absolutely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:04 pm 

I don't like or dislike anyone at the DRC, I just want them to stay out of my way and let ME decided what ages I explore and stop treating the explorers like little children.

open ages(as soon as they are done by cyan) and let the explorers decide if they think they are safe or not. Anyone with a brain can decide if they feel comfortable in a certain area.
It doesn't take a degree to know if you don't feel safe somewhere. I don't have a degree, but I can tell you that some of the places I've lived weren't safe and were below building code. I can also look at most structures and tell how safe or unsafe it is.

(ooc)
(if cyan wants us to move the story along then they need to open areas that the DRC deems unsafe and alow the explorers to choose to agree or disagree with the DRC or cate. If a explorer disagrees with the DRC then they will explore that area.
Stopping the explorers from going into an area and saying that the DRC deems them unsafe and making it impossible to get there stops even a small part of the story or any story that can be built.

Like was said in a few posts. Give us the tools and we will move the story. Standing around does nothing for us)(/ooc)

OOC: ummm not sure if someone from cyan is watching, but I'm sure your webguy/gal can do this with PHP. create a ooc tag just like the other tags when posting. example like this [ooc] [/ooc] it would be helpfull it does the same thing as qoute tag does. I'd think it should be like the spoiler tag. simply because you can either decide to read the ooc statement or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:08 pm 

goofy wrote:
create a ooc tag just like the other tags when posting. example like this [ooc] [/ooc] it would be helpfull it does the same thing as qoute tag does. I'd think it should be like the spoiler tag. simply because you can either decide to read the ooc statement or not.

You can already do this with the spoiler tags.
[spoiler=OOC]See? Just use "spoiler=OOC" in the opening spoiler tag.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:20 pm 

*Jahuti has two cents burning a hole in his pocket*

Well, lessee, there are those that advocate "doing something", and others pointing out that our actions are necessarily limited to those that are allowed, which is to say very constrained. The only other thing that we can do is talk, which is sort of like saying that we can affect reality by just talking about it.

So we politic with Cyan about this or that. They choose to listen or not, and perhaps do nothing because there is no mechanism to actually do the intended thing, or it is too expensive in hours or money. Politicing wioth the DRC is kinda like politicing with Mickey and Goofy.

Ages and areas will be ready when they are ready, so demanding that they be made available is pretty stupid. Demanding a visit from Yeesha, for example will result in our being told that "we don't know where she is and we don't much care".

Back in UU days, when there was no new content, we had a similar problem and got similar answers. With one exception: Ya see, we had just gotten the new UserKI, termed the Christmas KI because of when it was introduced. It allowed such things as jumping to astonishing heights, allowing one to get over any barrier adn to find invisible floors like the one in the Library. A number of people wondered what else could be done with this wonderful new toy, and started hacking away on it, myself being one.
At first, this was thought to be a wonderful idea, and test shards were set up to test these things safely, in order not to disturb the vault of a working shard. Well, sir, I added a command that was the opposite of the jump which allowed one to sink oneself into the floor one to five feet. This allowed "stair-sliding" and gave an easy way to get down from those invisible overhead "floors". This was the now infamous "UserKI 1.2".

Well, certain factions started a hue and cry about hacking and copyright violation, and how it was going to bring down all of Until Uru. Factions formed, hatred was engendered and a whole story came into being, the results of which are still felt today. Certain people won't even acknowledge my existence still. That little "hack" got me banned from Until Uru for months, and there were, at the ending, still two shards that would not allow me to log in.

Now, I had an effect on the storyline for sure, and it will live on in infamy in the annals of Until Uru. So this is a warning: You might, through supreme and original effort, have a profound effect on the story, but it also is dangerous to have too much influence. You might completely destroy Cyan's story and it might result in the closure of Live. Hard to do, but it could happen.

When seeking to influence the story, be careful. Be very careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:44 pm 
Cyan Employee

I should watch this post.. I'll have to read it later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

greydragon wrote:
I should watch this post.. I'll have to read it later today.

*cheers* Yaaaaaaaay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 pm 

A rather large number of people who were present during Jahuti's hacking episode, including UU shard owners, admins and ordinary exporers like myself, would vigorously dispute his version of history and the conclusions he draws from it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:07 am 

Certainly, Mr Wiggins, I left out many details. The point was not a recounting of history, but that my actions turned out to be inadvisable because of their destructive effects.

If you want to start a thread (in Off Topic) recounting your version of history, then please do.
Otherwise, those events should be left dead and buried. We have more important things to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:15 am 

Jahuti wrote:
The point was... ...that my actions turned out to be inadvisable because of their destructive effects.

On that we definitely agree. :)

Jahuti wrote:
If you want to start a thread (in Off Topic) recounting your version of history, then please do.

I'd really rather not. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 am 
Obduction Backer

It will be interesting to see what happens.

In a different perspective, I'm not into group gatherings to protest something or advocate something, though if I'm passing through, I might join one for the fun.

I'm into exploring, and I'm into having gameplay advance the story. If i solve a puzzle I want something to happen - both in terms of new ages to explore and to story. And I want to meet all kinds of interesting people, which I know will happen. I meet interesting new people every time I am in the cavern!