It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie to Uru
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 pm 

Even though I have had a beta account since January this is the first time I have been able to actually play the game. Right now I'm playing through the ages of what was the offline portion of the game in the origional "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst." I'm just not sure where to begin really. This is so much different from the average MMO (and that is a very, very good thing). Is it recommended to go through the single player portion first or to just jump right into the cavern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

There really is no "recommended" way to play the game. That's the fun part of Uru, it's really all up to you.

Some people prefer going through the original ABM ages alone, in which case you're proceeding probably the best way for that.

However others are now preferring to tackle these ages with others, bringing friends along with them. This changes the whole dynamic of the game and provides for a very different experience. If you want to do that though, you have to get into the multiplayer side of it.

So really.. the choice is yours. Enjoy and welcome back!

Post subject: Welcome aboard...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 pm 

Welcome aboard RB,

Just jump in an follow your own path... :)

But for a little guidance you might check out Zarf's Newcomer Guide:

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/uru/newfaq.html

c'ya in the caverns... enjoy the ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:36 pm 

Thanks guys. I may do a little of both :) I may mix it up and do a little of both. Just trying to get the feel for the world again. First time playing a Myst game since Ages Beyond Myst was first released. Then before that all I had ever played was just Myst and Riven. And, of course, I have read all three books :) Anyway, thanks again guys. See you in the cavern.

PS: Guess I should have picked a better forum name. Didn't realize when i signed up that you cannot edit the display name. LOL Oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:03 pm 

Welcome to the Cavern, rb! :D

You can explore according to your mood:

Alone...
Bring a friend or two to your Age...
Join a massive group...
Anything in between...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm 

And that's another thing that I am trying to figure out. How exactly grouping works with this game. I haven't noticed any options in the game that allow you to group with others or invite someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

rbwillis wrote:
And that's another thing that I am trying to figure out. How exactly grouping works with this game. I haven't noticed any options in the game that allow you to group with others or invite someone.

The options are there.

You can group with people by forming or joining a neighborhood (Bevin) of your choice.

There are also two ways of inviting people to your ages. First: Simply share your Relto book with them and have them link through your books.
or Second: Send them an invite using your KI (see the game manual on the website for details on that). They can then link to your ages from the Nexus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm 

And that was what was confusing me. I was thinking the Neighborhoods were like clans or guilds in other MMO's. So it's more or less like how you would form a party or group to accomplish a task then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

The role of neighborhoods is still being worked out, by players.

Many people are forming guild or clan-like neighborhoods, as social groups. Others are forming neighborhoods for particular interests or activities.

You can also meet *at* a particular neighborhood -- using it for a gathering spot, without any need to join it. That's a way to get together with people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:40 pm 

Welcome to Uru Live, RB. You have lots of options.

A good place to start is the Beginner's Bevin. Every hour there's a Restoration Engineer who gives you a basic outline of history and some other aspects of the D'ni world.

If you have questions you can go to the Guild of Greeters Bevin. In the afternoon and evening (U.S. time) there's usually a Greeter standing by to answer questions and offer hints, if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:48 pm 

rbwillis wrote:
I was thinking the Neighborhoods were like clans or guilds in other MMO's. So it's more or less like how you would form a party or group to accomplish a task then...

Your neighbors may often be willing to pitch in on an expedition, which can be convenient, but you are free to form or join task-groups with other people, as well. Complete strangers, even. Just pop into the City or any random hood and announce that you need some people to help you. You will generally get a number of offers from people you don't know. Your ties to your neighbors may be very tight or very loose, depending on the hood.

Some of the earliest hoods formed around the popular fan forums on the Web, such as Uru Obsession, or around special interest groups, like the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship. Other hoods are based on a particular philosophical/political motivation (such as one's views on Yeesha), a particular style of play (the In Cavern hoods), a service or mission (Guild of Greeters, Puzzle Test Dummies), or any other reason people can invent for gathering together. It's creative chaos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:18 pm 

I've experienced the game solo and with others. I can say that it is a lot more fun with more than one person. When doing the original journey, I've always felt...alone...lonely. The only other person around being Yeesha. And I could never get a conversation going with her. She's the one doing all the talking. (Though she does say some...interesting things...)

The best way to make the most of your Uru experience is to hook up with other explorers. It is much more satisfying than running around Kadish, dancing on his corpse in the vault while singing 'Move Your Dead Bones', and no one else is around to hear you.

I look forward to exploring more ages with new friends I'll be meeting in the cavern. If you ever want to meet up with me (I'm always willing to meet new people), my KI# is 00449231.

See you in the cavern. ^_^

KI #00449231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:42 pm 

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I get it now. I've been reading newbie FAQ's as well. My problem is I was thinking like the average MMO would play. I can't think in those terms. I have to play it more like a Myst game (and yes I realize that sounds more like a "duh" moment :)) See you guys in the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:50 pm 

rbwillis wrote:
And that was what was confusing me. I was thinking the Neighborhoods were like clans or guilds in other MMO's. So it's more or less like how you would form a party or group to accomplish a task then...

Nope. A neighborhood is exactly what it sounds like- a neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are bigger and more active than others, such as the Uru Obsession 'Hood, and other hoods, such as the Beginner's Bevin, are for a more specific use.

But yeah, subscribing to a neighborhood is exactly the same as moving into a new suburb. New neighbors, new activities, new friends... It all depends on what you want.

You can, of course, go ask one of your neighbors for help with anything you need, and some 'hoods occasionally have parties in other Ages, but really, neighborhoods are extremely multipurpose and are essentially sub-communities within Uru.

If you're looking to make lots of friends, joining a large 'hood is a great way to do this. It's far easier to get connected when you're in a big, friendly 'hood environment. Some people don't like this, and so create or join little neighborhoods to gain some privacy. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Good luck! Just send me a KI-mail any time if you have any questions or just want help. :wink:

-Kal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 pm 

I like being a member of a small neighborhood (the DLF bevin). You can ask members of other neighborhoods to send you invitations to their bevins, and that way you can visit these other neighborhoods whenever you want from the nexus.

KI# 45434