It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the interest of spawning arguments..err ..discussion, I'm going to make a radical statement: Uru is friendly to the casual player.

Whoa whoa whoa, before you get the pitchforks and flamethrowers out, give me a moment to make my case. Let me compare two different stories of friends of mine.

First off is the Myst fanatic. He checks the forums obsessively, logs into the Cavern every day. He gets frustrated on a regular basis, waiting for Nick White to show up, wanting to know exactly what Rils and Sharper were up to. He spends far more time waiting for something to happen in the game than he does actually engaging the game on any particular level. And, while he keeps checking the forums every hour or so, he's getting more and more jaded about the game, the Uru experience and Cyan.

Lots of fun, eh?

Well, next is my other friend. She's a college student and has a job besides. She's busy and only makes it into Cavern once or twice a month (yeah, she's actually been in MOUL maybe 6 ot 7 times total). She checks the forums every once in a while as well, but just the 'story so far' threads that have cropped up.

How does she keep up, you might ask? She'll wander into a few hoods, ask what's been happening lately. From there, she gets a good idea of the news (aka story) and then goes to explore what has been added. Maybe she chats a little.

And you know what? She enjoys the game thoroughly.

The general claim is that you have to be a Myst fanatic who is willing to spend a large chunk of your time focused on the game in order to really enjoy the game. But that doesn't generally hold up in my experience. Of the people I know, those who swing in once a week, or once a month, seem to be having a lot more fun than the 'typical' dedicated player.

Okay, now you can get out your pitchforks and flamethrowers. ;)

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:29 pm 

Quote:
The general claim is that you have to be a Myst fanatic who is willing to spend a large chunk of your time focused on the game in order to really enjoy the game.

You don't have to be a myst fanatic to do that.You just have to keep your intrest in it.I can't play the game (yet :) ) but i'm still active in the community.I'm not a fantic,i just love the game and i keep my intrest on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:58 pm 

It's true for almost every game that the more you play, the sooner you run out of content and get bored. Myst Online is no exception. The difference here is that Myst Online is more about the story behind everything rather than the actual game part.

Especially players who prefer the latter will run out of content very quickly, as Myst Online doesn't provide much for them yet, which Cyan will hopefully address soon. (Personally, I'd rather have a single puzzle age than a dozen pods)

In any other game, you'd simply start another character to see other aspects of the game to tide you over until new content becomes available. Unfortunately that is hardly a viable option here. (At least players with full Gametap access can go back and play the older Myst games while they wait, but that's a whole different subject ;))

Anyway, I suppose I've gotten carried off topic a little. I agree with your assessment on "casuals" vs. "fanatics". However you can't split the whole community into two camps. There are many subtle shades. And even with such a relatively small community, it's no wonder that Cyan can't cater to everyone's tastes.

Hopefully the game will continue to grow and further generations of explorers won't have the issue of running out of things to do too quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:15 pm 

Very nice post and very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Flo wrote:
However you can't split the whole community into two camps. There are many subtle shades.

Oh I agree, there are lots of gray areas. I just used the dichotomy to highlight the differences.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:48 pm 

It's so true! For all that I'm nigh-constantly on the forum, I don't manage to get into Uru more than once a week, but - I don't feel excluded because of that.

It's very friendly to me and I don't feel a huge pressure to keep up with the Jones, as it were, as I would with a game like WoW.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:05 pm 

Sosiqui wrote:
It's so true! For all that I'm nigh-constantly on the forum, I don't manage to get into Uru more than once a week, but - I don't feel excluded because of that.

It's very friendly to me and I don't feel a huge pressure to keep up with the Jones, as it were, as I would with a game like WoW.

For now you can get your information from the forums, but what if that changes? There seems to be an undercurrent in the Cavern currently to start limiting the spread of information to the Cavern. If that were to happen then the forums would no longer be a viable source of information for those who can't get to the Cavern on a regular basis and you WOULD start feeling more and more excluded and more and more information did not reach you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well My comment on this is that I AM completely Obsessed with all things Myst! :lol: and I have enjoyed Uru from the beginning even in UU when there was NO new content at all. Of all the games I have played, and that is MANY I have spent more time with Uru than all the other games put together!

I am not as concerned about the storyline as some, but do like to keep up as much as possible, getting most of that info in the forums and from friends, but I love exploring the ages new and old alike. the idea of something new to see even if it is just "eye candy" is very exciting for me. . . . . :shock: OMG. . . . . I think I need to get a life LOL :lol:

My point is that Uru is going to be something different for each of us and for those of us who love it even if it gets a bit slow we are finally home :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 pm 

Here, here Blade! I totally agree. I log on two or three times a week max. and am experiencing none of the boredom and frustration of some of those who are "living" in the Cavern waiting for new content. I am thoroughly content to let the game unfold as it will.

I am a "fanatic", but I suppose I play "casual". I've been playing Uru in some form or another since 2003 and am a major Myst fanatic. I check the forums every day, don't post much (but that's just my personality) and am always generally aware of what is going on in Cavern. But I don't see the point (and never have in UU or Prologue either) in standing around playing a waiting game.

Basically I don't want to get bored and frustrated, so I don't do stuff that will lead me down that road. It's sad to me that some people (some even long time fans) are having a negative experience. Maybe they should find something else to do with their lives (Don't flame me! I mean something ADDITIONAL in a positive way, NOT in a negative "go away" type way).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:17 pm 

Thanakar wrote:
For now you can get your information from the forums, but what if that changes? There seems to be an undercurrent in the Cavern currently to start limiting the spread of information to the Cavern. If that were to happen then the forums would no longer be a viable source of information for those who can't get to the Cavern on a regular basis and you WOULD start feeling more and more excluded and more and more information did not reach you.

IMO that would kill the game. Anyone who can't stay in-cavern all day just waiting for something to happen will miss out the majority of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:20 pm 

The totality of my experience with introducing new characters to the game absolutelky and totally convinces me that Myst Online is NOT friendly to the casual player.

The control system is too awkward, the game is no longer as pretty as it was, and the whole starting experience is too removed and abstracted to attracty. Anyone who I have tried to introduce and stayed has only stayed because I guided them through.

My posit is that the game is postively hostile to such players. All kudos to your friend but I will be amazed if it is representative of the general experience for a casual player, doubly so one not being guided through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

subumbra wrote:
I am a "fanatic", but I suppose I play "casual".

Maybe that’s the right perspective, so let me ask: How many "fanatic" players have become casual ones?

(Zardoz raises his hand.)

While I may still post a lot, I find myself playing less often. That’s not bad, but there is a threshold below which I could see even a fanatic such as myself falling away and becoming a former player. When Myst V came out, I purposefully paced myself so I wouldn’t finish it in one or two marathon sessions, and found the experience to be wonderful. I got to ponder puzzles and information tidbits, instead of smashing my brain against them for hours on end. I enjoyed the time away from the game, when I was thinking about those things, almost as much as the time I spent in the game (well, that’s an exaggeration, but not completely!).

With Uru, though, I just don’t find myself thinking about it much outside the game - not yet, at least. As soon as something as big as Ercana or Ahnonay comes out, all the gripes will recede in our memories (although no doubt new ones will surface), and fanatics and casuals alike will flood the cavern. But the stretches in-between are the challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I fall into the "fanatic" to "casual" player myself but for entirely different reasons.

I could afford to be a fanatical player for the single player games because there was a finite bound to the time I was devoting. With the Online version, there are too many forces in my Surface Life tugging at me for me to immerse myself in MOUL as much as I would like. While I find the slow development of story frustrating as an avid fan, I like it for the fact I don't feel left behind when I can't be in the cavern for several days.

Because of that, I find I read the forums much more obsessively than if I were able to be In Cavern more. I hope the movement to In Cavern data transmission doesn't become the standard for this very reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:13 pm 

I think that there is one very important thing to remember here. There are exceptions to every rule. Based on the original post in this thread, I would have to fall in to the URU Fanatic category. I visit the forums daily multiple times, though I tend to stay from the spoilers as I prefer to 'discover' new things on my own if possible. I generally try to log in to URU Live once a day, but sometimes miss a day, and generally not less than 5 days a week. I do not get bored and am satisfied with the current and upcoming content. As far as the pod ages, I believe that we just don't have the full picture yet and as time goes by we will surely see that there is a lot more than meets the eye at present time. The same goes for the two new garden ages. Having played Myst from the very first game, I have learned patience is a must and that has carried through to and helped me in URU Live. I understand what you are saying and yes there are many who fall into both categories you mentioned. However there are many others that don't.

KI #02487810

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:57 pm 

Excellent post, Blade. Basically you have the ability to get so much more out of this game than just playing through content. The community is a huge part of this and it sounds like your friend has figured out what she wants out of her experience in the cavern and is thoroughly enjoying herself which I think is the whole object of this.....Kudos to her!

It is also ok to be a Myst fanatic too - again, this game has the ability to provide so much more to the player, whether he or she is a casual player or someone who really enjoys getting into the real nitty gritty of everything that is going on - it just depends on what you want out of it. Even if I have to miss playing for a time, I can always jump right back in whether it is reading the forums or just going Bevin-hopping and asking. Someone is always willing to help you catch up. Actually I am not worried about a slow storyline - real life moves about the same when you get down to it.... There are so many things to find to do within the community that you can keep busy if you really want to - it is all a matter of choice...

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....