It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starting a New Faction?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey all, I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see what people think, and if enough like the idea, maybe we can see about starting it up.

After reading through a bunch of different posts about the player-made groups, ie the ADM and RR, I was thinking it might be useful to have a sort of "peacekeeping" group. And NO, I do not mean some sort of gestapo/secret police to go around and shoot opposing groups! What I'm referring to would be a group of people dedicated to peacefully resoving conflicts between explorers and the DRC, and other such conflicts. My hope is that a group like this would negate the need for protests, like the GZ Calibration Strike. Perhaps the group could schedule talks with leaders from the different factions, sitting them down face to face with the peace group acting as a meeting moderator.

Opinions? Suggestions? Flames? I'll take them all! :D

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

LOL! The Mediator's Guild? :wink:

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or the United D'ni Nations! :lol:

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

The best hand in keeping the peace is to help the Guild of Greeters make sure that every new explorer has had a proper welcome. Our first priority in the cavern is to make sure that every question is answered to the best of our ability. A smile goes a long way in keeping cool.
Cheers,
knottyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:01 am 

How about The Faction of Non-Aligned Explorers.

wait...

".kenen gor"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

knottyboy wrote:
The best hand in keeping the peace is to help the Guild of Greeters make sure that every new explorer has had a proper welcome. Our first priority in the cavern is to make sure that every question is answered to the best of our ability. A smile goes a long way in keeping cool.
Cheers,
knottyboy

knottyboy,
It's true that the new players need to be welcomed and shown around the cavern, but that's not my focus. I'm thinking more about the "old timers" who are unhappy with the DRC, or another group or explorer. I just thought that a mediating group could resolve conflicts without the use of protests or somewhat annoying recruiting efforts. It's important that we preserve the gamin experience for all players, which means we should all try to work together without causing a major disruption in the game.

At least, that's my opinion.

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am 
Obduction Backer

keithhemari wrote:

wait...

No, I'm not saying we shouldn't be aligned, per say. Just that this group should be "aligned" with the idea that the gaming experience should be more important than player differences, and should try to help resolve conflicts by mediating meetings between opposing groups.

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:12 am 

protoomega wrote:
keithhemari wrote:

wait...

No, I'm not saying we shouldn't be aligned, per say. Just that this group should be "aligned" with the idea that the gaming experience should be more important than player differences, and should try to help resolve conflicts by mediating meetings between opposing groups.

I was joking... :roll:

A Guild of Mediators would be a good idea, in theory. Practically, it may be difficult to put into service, since very few people are really impartial. But I agree. Also, it would be difficult to put into In-Character terms, since most groups who would be going off-track from game play would be doing something In Character and therefore would not respond to game play issues.

In the end, it could work, but it would depend on the different groups wanting it to work.

".kenen gor"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 am 

In theory, this is to be the purpose of a currently dormant branch of the Guild of Outcasts.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

keithhemari wrote:
protoomega wrote:
keithhemari wrote:

wait...

I was joking... :roll:

A Guild of Mediators would be a good idea, in theory. Practically, it may be difficult to put into service, since very few people are really impartial. But I agree. Also, it would be difficult to put into In-Character terms, since most groups who would be going off-track from game play would be doing something In Character and therefore would not respond to game play issues.

In the end, it could work, but it would depend on the different groups wanting it to work.

Ok, I thought you were joking, but I figured it was better not to make assumptions. (you know what they say about "assume"!) I have to believe that people play this game because they love it, and that they want it to succeed. So hopefully, that desire would help make this idea work.

Kolian wrote:

In theory, this is to be the purpose of a currently dormant branch of the Guild of Outcasts.

Really? Why is it dormant? Is there something I could do to help make it active, or perhaps the Guild of Outcasts could help start up a Guild of Mediators?

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:28 am 

I think the only issue is that we don't have enough members to do it. And of course, a person like myself is probably not suited for the job.

We have a forum on the Uru Assembly of Guilds. If you're interested, you could make post about it there. Otherwise, you can PM Ragdrazi (he has an account on these forums as well as DRC Site under that name) about it; he's the Guild's founder.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 am 

This would, of course, be a wonderful idea if anyone in the cavern could reliably expect to get any response from the DRC -- either by e-mail, KI-mail, PM, forum post, asking a character in the cavern, or by talking to actual employees of Cyan. I did all of these in a attempt to deliver a lengthy letter to the entire DRC asking for clarification, on a point a largish group of explorers had issue with, and we were finally rewarded with a single throw-away line by Cate about 2 months later after somebody asked her about it in the cavern.

The whole reason the is an RR and ADM is because nobody can get the DRC to answer questions.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 am 
Obduction Backer

crimson_bard wrote:
This would, of course, be a wonderful idea if anyone in the cavern could reliably expect to get any response from the DRC -- either by e-mail, KI-mail, PM, forum post, asking a character in the cavern, or by talking to actual employees of Cyan. I did all of these in a attempt to deliver a lengthy letter to the entire DRC asking for clarification, on a point a largish group of explorers had issue with, and we were finally rewarded with a single throw-away line by Cate about 2 months later after somebody asked her about it in the cavern.

The whole reason the is an RR and ADM is because nobody can get the DRC to answer questions.

Good luck.

Perhaps the DRC would be more active if they didn't feel threatened by a group? Remember the reactions to Cate when she first appeared? I can't say I blame her for not wanting to come to the cavern, she had some very vocal opposition! The DRC has also had trouble since the beginning, perhaps that is why they are reluctant to speak to the new groups like the ADM and the RR. If they could be assured that they wouldn't be shouted down or attacked every time they made an appearance, maybe they would be more likely to attend a meeting.

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Protoomega, if you want to start such a group IC, go for it. Be aware that there are no player conflicts to resolve (if by player, you mean real-life people sitting in front of computers), but you can try to resolve IC character conflicts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Lobo wrote:
Protoomega, if you want to start such a group IC, go for it. Be aware that there are no player conflicts to resolve (if by player, you mean real-life people sitting in front of computers), but you can try to resolve IC character conflicts.

Lol, I should have been clearer. *Smacks self* When I said player, I meant in an IC way. I can't do much to help with conflicts outside the computer, but I'd like to do what I can in the game, for the characters.

*Edit* I've thought about it, and I think I want to go for it! I want to create this guild, however, I'm going to need some other members. If you're interested, respond on here, or PM me, please!

Thanks!
Protoomega/Nex Sparda

KI#00149165