It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:13 am 

So, let's start with the most obvious discussion topic. Bahro. How do they link? As we know from the Art, linking is done with special ink, special characters, and special paper. It seems like the act of writing a description book is like creating a circuit board, you need the board, you need the material for the circuitry, and you need the specific patterns in order to connect all your little bits. So perhaps the Bahro incorporate the elements of the ink and paper within their anatomy, using their mind to arrange them to link. This could also lead to an explanation of our Relto books coming with us, they've been created to act as if they're part of our body when connected, and thus like the Bahro, our link will come along.

Next, Reltos. Relto pages seem to be a simplified form of the Art, quite literally art in this case, and activating them seems to be like turning small switches on and off. The end result is that our Relto, apparently connected to us like a part of our person, creates a personalized instance, slightly changing for each page activated, but overall remaining tied to our unique energy signature. It appears that along with acting as part of us, they also update themselves because of this, so that whatever we experience and insert in our Relto, stays connected, despite our use of various instances when we activate pages.

This also explains our linking within Relto, to Relto. We're not literally linking to the same place, but to an instance of it, almost entirely the same.

As for instances of other locations, more creative work on Yeesha's part, while also a good game mechanic to cut back on server loads, is that these locations are other locations of the tree of possibilities, determined by chance, created so that the biggest different between instances of an age, is that we're present in one. So while Yeesha and the Bahro may be enabling these unusual things, it all seems to link back to us as the reason for it occurring.

These ideas can also explain how Yeesha can be seen to link within an age infront of our eyes. It's not the same Yeesha, very close to being the same, with the same objectives, but from another spot on the tree of possibilities. This opens up the interesting idea that Yeesha might conciously be controlling herself on every branch of the tree of possibilities, explaining why she has such control over all things.

I've kept it related to the theories behind linking so far, but an interesting tidbit I'd like to bring up. Did you know that one of the ways to spell Jesus correctly would be Yeshua? I find this an interesting idea to present to those who are anti-Yeesha as Grower, as it feels to me like Cyan might be hinting at something.

Anyways, feel free to discuss, or ignore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:32 am 

As has been stated in the past, the D'ni usually incorporate things into their Ages which can be used to create linking books; the Bahro may be the offshoot of one of the attempts (Escher's Age, IIRC.)

With regard to Reltos, Yeesha essentially puts out that our relto book, through the judicious use of M4D SK33LZ, essentially allows what pages are present or aren't present as well as turned on or turned off, to select the relto we are presented when we link using it. An elaboration on it as well:

Suppose you have a television set in your relto, the simple act of having a television in your relto now brings into question which relto you appear in: The one with your television set (which would mean that your hip pocket escape pod is actually mangling the reality of an Age or Yeesha is deft enough to write a linking book to take into account objects within the age) or the relto in which there isn't a television set (which is defined solely by the relto book).

Another thing that may be interesting to try: Invite someone to your relto and modify which relto pages you have engaged before you link in. I'm not about to do it, because I value the people on my buddy list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Another thing that may be interesting to try: Invite someone to your relto and modify which relto pages you have engaged before you link in.

A similar experiment was perfromend in UU: guests were standing on the wooden dock at Relto, the owner turned off the dock page and linked away and back. Everything remained unchanged - it seemed that changes took place only when nobody stayed at Relto.

This experiment should be repeated as there are differences between the old and the present engines of Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:01 am 

That's consistent with what I've seen recently in Live.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Norfren wrote:
Quote:
Another thing that may be interesting to try: Invite someone to your relto and modify which relto pages you have engaged before you link in.

A similar experiment was perfromend in UU: guests were standing on the wooden dock at Relto, the owner turned off the dock page and linked away and back. Everything remained unchanged - it seemed that changes took place only when nobody stayed at Relto.

This experiment should be repeated as there are differences between the old and the present engines of Uru.

I tried exactly that about a month ago in my Relto with a friend. Same results as reported above. It's a little anticlimactic (I was hoping for something interesting to happen), but from a game design perspective, Cyan did the right thing and programmed the game perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 pm 

relto pages dont modify the island while someone is there.

however, pillars appear with visitors present. :)

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

pixilpink wrote:
relto pages dont modify the island while someone is there.

however, pillars appear with visitors present. :)

Oh! Then please stand in the empty space where one would appear, then make it happen. If you survive, let us know what it looks like!

If nothing else, you get to call a ResEng to get you unstuck, right? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

What about spark candles? We're coming up on May 1 -- someone should try the experiment.