It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Greeter Frustration
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

First I wish to apologize to those of you in the Guild of Greeters hood early this morning. My behavior was uncalled for. I broke my own first rule of greeting, when you're on edge just let it go and say nothing.

An explorer in the cavern was repeatedly emoting that they were sad. Over and over <sad> emote, I finally private messaged them to see if there was anything wrong. The person informed me that they didn't have anything to say and this was the reason for them being sad. The <sad> emotes kept coming. After some time another explorer told them to take a pill jokingly and the 'sad' explorer replied with 'shut it' and 'shut up'.

I said out loud, “Enough [avie's name]”.
“If you're looking for attention please find it somewhere else.”

I created a lull in the conversation after that and made those around me uncomfortable. There was no reason to chastise this player in front of everyone. This would have been handled better one on one as I had tried to do before or by saying nothing at all.

I apologize to this explorer and once again to those in the hood who were listening.

Sincerely,
knottyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Err, from what I read, it's was the <sad> player who is more the wrong, for seeking attention and then saying "shut it" and "shut up". This other avatar shouldn't have said what he did, but it wasn't exactly unprovoked.

Regardless, why didn't you contact a ResEng? It would work a lot better than disciplining yourself.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:40 pm 

or you could just ignore the player. there is a /ignore feature and as far as I know its working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:19 pm 

@ knottyboy

Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

Helping people inside the game and in the forums is not an easy job. Some players do not understand the behing the scene implications since they will not even lift their small finger to help others and beleive they are so important that we should all fall on our knees when they need other fellow 's attention.

If you see all of this as a learning process and consider some of the above suggestions, it will make life much more easy on the long run.

Artic salutes you and long life to Greeter knottyboy.
Triple hourahs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 pm 

I'm sure nobody holds it against you, Knottyboy, and we all lose it sometimes. As a greeter, you have more responsibility for watching your behavior, setting an example, and all that stuff, but you've always seemed to do an admirable job. This apology is another sign of that sense of responsibility, IMO. Don't beat yerself up about it. :)

KI#02115581

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:27 pm 

Learn from it, that's all I can say.

I'm not really a person for speeches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Been there, done that, Knottyboy.

Restraint can run thin at times... especially when you feel like you're dealing with someone who seems a little unreasonable at the time.

i.e. - Let's go to the City and Relto-spam as many explorers as possible!

:roll:

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Tue May 01, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I will chime in and agree with everyone with half a brain that there was no transgression whatsoever on Knotty's part.

*deleted

______________-

Edited by Whitch2 - 5/1/07

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 am 

It is ok, knottyboy. We are all not perfect. Don't beat yourself up for a perfectly natural reaction. The fact that you feel remorseful is enough to show that you obviously are a caring person and sounds like you are a good greeter. Everything in life is a learning experience and this is just another....

hugs!

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:37 am 
Obduction Backer

knottyboy....since early on, when I first met you in cavern....I've found you to be an extremely helpful and polite person. I see no need for you to apologize for speaking up when someone was acting inappropriately. Thought I do see that your apology just shows the character of the person you are....:)

Keep up the good work

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:16 am 

You have been very generous to me right here on this forum. Don't let one little incident get you down... We all loose our cool from time to time!

I for one appreciate your helpfulness. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:02 am 

I've never met you in the cavern knottyboy, but I hope to soon. The maturity expressed in your apology speaks volumes for the kind of community that's fostered here. We all screw up but not everyone has the guts to say they're sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:23 am 
Obduction Backer

And I agree with the general consensus also. Good that you thought about it and how it happened, but I think the sad emoter's response needed that person to see they were in the wrong.
I also think you're being a bit hard on yourself.
But, at the same time, I can understand that too - I've often been the same way about myself - but clearly your thinking out what transpired and concern with others who were there really shows your priorities are in the right place and that alone suggests that what you said wasn't out of line at all. It sounds to me that if an apology is something that should be made, perhaps it should have come from the one whose 'shut up' comments sparked what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 am 

Jeepers knotty, I'm ashamed to know you. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 pm 

I have also met Knottyboy in the Cavern, very nice, very helpful. Would like to say I am the same way. But there are times when your patience can only take so much...

Hun, you do a great job. As the others have said, don't beat yourself up over it. *hug*