It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:08 am 

:shock:

...I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

~Joey Callamuhzooper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:48 am 
Obduction Backer

The Cyan has finessed us but once again. This is reminiscent of the DRCL. Everybody, self included, just got in to a tizzy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:22 am 

semplerfi wrote:
The Cyan has finessed us but once again.

Emotional whiplash! Emotional whiplash! This is worse than watching anime, and I always thought the Japanese were the world champions at this. Somebody call a lawyer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:38 am 

BrettM wrote:
semplerfi wrote:
The Cyan has finessed us but once again.

Emotional whiplash! Emotional whiplash! This is worse than watching anime, and I always thought the Japanese were the world champions at this. Somebody call a lawyer. :lol:

Don't forget the sheeple!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:23 am 

Vicki if your reading this i hope you saw my post on the UO forums...not to sound critical...if you had help or didn't in regards to your speaches, they didn't come accross as the well thought out statements of a "movements" spokeperson...now having said that should you decide to try to continue this find someone in one of the forums that can better help you on public speaking, 'cause darling' whoever helped you had you sounding like a stereotypical high school cheerleader with no tact, common sense and intelligence. I know from what I have seen before your first mishap and this latest bombed effort that you ARE an intelligent and sensitive woman. Please stay with us and if you do decide to keep with the ADM I would suggest a name change. AND for your own sanity...create a new avie that's not involved in all the drama so you can get a break from the role of Sydney Austin.

hope I didn't offend you or anyone else (the road is paved with good intentions and all that),

K'Tania

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:31 am 

I would like to ask that this thread be closed or ended. This has gone on long enough. Cyan is the creator of URU and the architect of the storyline. I for one do not come to the city and to URU to be forced to be part of side plots that will, no matter how well done, be integrated in the real story, and therefore are a distraciton and source of contention. The entire rest of the Web is wide open to personl expression, and creative contributions and I mean no criticism of anyone personally as I have not been in the cavern for much of the past weeks due to work load and other challenges on the surface. I am glad to hear the DRC and Cate curbed Nick White who was way over the bounds of good taste so that was a great comfort. Let us move on and enjoy the wonders around us and to come. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:53 am 

CrisGer wrote:
I would like to ask that this thread be closed or ended. This has gone on long enough. Cyan is the creator of URU and the architect of the storyline. I for one do not come to the city and to URU to be forced to be part of side plots that will, no matter how well done, be integrated in the real story, and therefore are a distraciton and source of contention.

This wasn't some side plot though. Cyan was feeding this baby so to me that integrates it into the main overreaching storyline that Cyan has envisioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I read the first and last pages of this thread, and skipped the middle since it was getting very repetitive.

Thinking back to 2003 there was a vigorous debate going on regarding "Follow Yeesha" and "Follow DRC". I was one who disagreed with the idea of "taking sides" although it was for different reasons than this thread discusses. My objection back then was that people with limited time to play would be deprived of content by following one or the other storyline.

I never foresaw this kind of contention. The bad behavior exhibited by Sydney just ruins things for everyone. Judging fromt he chatlog there were a number of people who left disappointed that they could not get their questions asked due to Sydney's monopolizing the conversation. This is NOT storyline, it's harassment and IMHO Cyan needs to come up with a solution.

I participate in a lot of technical webcasts in which all parties are connected together by a conference-call telephone. The conference moderator starts out by "Muting" all the phones in the conference, and then acknowledges individuals who "raise their hand" using the computer.

Perhaps Cyan could come up with a way to "Mute" all of the KIs in a room, allowing only communication with the moderator who could then control any troll-like behavior among those attending.

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Last edited by walt_scrivens on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:34 pm 

walt, this is exactly the confrontation Cate wanted. She had to be able publically denounce the ADM in front of a large body of explorers and at the same time she told us that Sharper would return to the investigation of Negilahn. In my opinion, the initial meeting was meant to be chaotic and disruptive, the ADM would have gone farther in thier aims if they hadn't met all of Cate's expectation of being no more then a disruptive, militant rabble, which made it all the easier for her to put them in thier place. Later, in the Canadian Bevin, she had a nice, orderly talk with explorers and much information was obtained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:10 pm 

Walt I think that is a super good idea, we could also institute a "traditoin" where someone is appointed or offers to be the mod in a group discusssion but i am very put off by people mobbing a DRC or other in game character with questoin after question without giving them a chance to reply. I think and have posted before, we need to practice and model decorum and patience otherwise the interaction with the DRC and essential in game characters will become iimpossible and a mockery. Imagine what would happen if Yeesha appeared in a hood! lol

I think we need to go back to square one with initiating community supported practices of courtesy and respect, and it may take repeated modelling and mentoring with new explorers of all ages, for i have seen this disresepct in many forms, people interrupting in the midsts of a ResEng presentation, people mobbing speakers, and the examples of pooor deportment seen in the topic of this thread and others.

I know we are all growing and learning, and this is a great community with vast good will, intelligence, keen insight and lightening fast reflexes mentally and game wise on the part of everyone.

So I would urge that we all consider what we can do to support and imrpove the in game communications and interactions. If only waiting each of us if someone else has posted a question on the KI to a significant figure to allow them a chance to reply.

And above all, please let us practice respect and courtesy. So much is possible with such an atmosphere of kindess. So much is already being done and look at what we are part of, it is so special as are all of us. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

***Disclaimer: The following post is not meant to be given in a confrontational tone, but rather a calm, contemplative tone. Thank you.***

The chat logs that Sydney posted have made me feel sick about this whole thing. The fact that she and Jazz and Nick were plotting all of this conflict....to have Sydney resurrect her Movement, and for Jazz to pretend to be unaware of it, and then to pretend to be against it, and then to eventually join it....and all of the talk about trying to get so-and-so to join their cause....it just seems like a bad way to create "story", because it's so ARTIFICIAL.

I guess I just don't like thinking of events in Uru as "story", because personally, I like to approach it completely IC. If others feel differently, that's their business, but given that I like approaching Uru IC, I don't see things that happen as "story"--I see them as Events. Of course, OOC, the stuff the DRC does is stuff being done by Cyan, but since Cyan is the creator of Uru, that's kind of required....they can't help but approach Uru OOC, since they created the Characters of Watson, Cate, Nick, etc.

On the other hand, we Explorers have the opportunity to lose ourselves in the beauty of Uru, and feel like it's actually happening--in other words, to approach Uru completely IC. Again, if people prefer OOC, that's their choice, but I've always felt that IC will be more rewarding in the end, if people would just give it a chance, because Immersion (the essence of IC) has always been a goal of the Myst games.

So with that in mind, when people try to create "story" the way Sydney and Jazz and Nick did, it just seems so Artificial....it doesn't seem Real. It makes them seem like Actors writing a Script (didn't someone earlier refer to those chat logs as Stage Directions?). And I don't want to go to the cavern to see fellow explorers being Actors, playing things out by a Script. Cyan HAS to do that, since their presence in the cavern consists of entirely fictional characters. But we don't have to do it that way. And to me, when we DO do things that way, we rob ourselves of something special that Uru has to offer--Realism.

Wow, I really didn't intend to make this a rant about IC/OOC, but I guess that's just how I feel....sorry if I went off-topic.

I have to admit that Sydney & Co. shoudn't be condemned for wanting to make things happen in Uru. After all, Cyan said that we're supposed to. It takes some guts to put yourself out there and try to influence the world around you, and with all of the people saying "only Cyan should make things happen, and Explorers should just enjoy what they give us", we may need more people like Sydney who are willing to try influencing the world of Uru.

I just feel that Artifically creating "story" just to make things interesting is a bad approach. I feel that the Assembly of Guilds (or something similar thereto, whether "officially sanctioned" Guilds or not), the D'ni Zoological Society, Spoken Word Night, the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship, etc., are better ways to "make things happen" in Uru.

And if you want to start some sort of protest against the DRC, I suppose that's just fine--but it makes a lot more sense (to me), and it would probably go over a lot better, if you really do feel that the DRC is falling short somehow (the Restoration Realists come to mind), rather than you think that starting such a protest will make things interesting.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I just wanted to speak my mind. I'm also open to Changing my Mind if anyone feels they have other viewpoints that could persuade me :) My goal is to figure out how best to deal with all of this, not to blindly preach my own stubborn views ;)

</muchmorethan2cents>

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:11 pm 

So with that in mind, when people try to create "story" the way Sydney and Jazz and Nick did, it just seems so Artificial....it doesn't seem Real. It makes them seem like Actors writing a Script (didn't someone earlier refer to those chat logs as Stage Directions?). And I don't want to go to the cavern to see fellow explorers being Actors, playing things out by a Script. Cyan HAS to do that, since their presence in the cavern consists of entirely fictional characters. But we don't have to do it that way. And to me, when we DO do things that way, we rob ourselves of something special that Uru has to offer--Realism.

Nick White is played by a Cyan employee, this wasn't some explorer created story and wasn't artifical. This was a story created by Cyan and some explorers were recruited to bring it along. What is wasn't was good story, many of us are fed up with contentious story lines and what something else to sink our teeth into. As to Uru, Uru is a story, always has been, always will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
And I don't want to go to the cavern to see fellow explorers being Actors, playing things out by a Script. Cyan HAS to do that,
If everything works, we're all actors in the same script. The explorers might be doing improv with the occasional nudge, but it's the same play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just want to comment that I'm quite sure that this was a fan-created story, not a Cyan-created story. In the OOC forum on the ADM web-boards, Vicki clearly stated that she created Sydney & the ADM in an attempt to get a story-line going.

Yes, the chat-log w/Sydney, Jazz, & Nick White shows that Nick was involved with this OOC. But therein lies the problem. Nick White is an IC character, and the person who plays/controls him from Cyan was acting OOC.

Personally, I think that's why Cate said Nick was "on probation from the DRC for a couple weeks". The person who plays/controls Nick got "too involved" with the explorers OOC.

With all that said, I have to say that although I started this thread (though not the subject matter), I agree with CrisGer that we need to move on. Concentrate on something else. Look towards the future, and new sources of story & content.

The Assembly of Guilds is certainly something to keep an eye on. Whether you're for or against formal Guilds in Uru, let's all make our voices heard, so Cyan will know what we want.

And if anyone wants to forge a new story-line, that's fine. Just make sure you've taken in the whole scope of things--past, present, and future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:39 pm 

Quote:
do you all want to know the truth of what happened read these logs and leave me alone.

Seriously, reading these logs Syd, Jazz and Nick were doing the IC/OOC thing more than I ever could have come up with - it's almost a beautiful thing to behold.

I guess my only question is does Jazz, IC or OCC, actually believe in the Restoration Realists? Or was it just something she put together to balance the ADM story? Or both?
You can see how some people who joined the RR thinking it was formed because the people behind it really believed in bringing across a different perspective than the ADM, well, some people may think they were duped... ;)

But not me. I still think the principles behind the RR are a good way to go about things when you add up all we actually know about the history of the cavern (much as we use what we know when working out what to do in any Myst story).

I'm a little curious. I wonder how many people there are in Uru, and how many people have involved themselves into the ADM/RR story? If anyone has these stats, then lets get all the facts out in the open so we can see how worthy this story was of our outrage/amusement/hope. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next