It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 pm 

Is there anyone who can give me the D'ni words of places and names spelled phonicially so that I can pronounce them correctly? I think I heard Mr. Miller in his interview say "Dun ee" for D'ni . Is Dereno pronounced Dur en o ? How about Delin the garden age ,is it pronounced Dell n or D lean ?
The reason I ask is that I have heard many pronunciations of all the place names and king names . I know you can't do them all but the ones we use the most would be much appreciated, thank you.
Here are a few examples of spelling phonetically House=howse
sky=ski ski=skee blue=bloo read=red knight=nite knife=nife fright=frite so ...testonot as I say it is ...test o not but if you say it like I have heard it said it is... tess a not Negilahn =Neg a lee on

Last edited by Sonseeahray on Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:18 pm 

I don't think it really matters technically the KI is pronounced "key" where as hundreds of explorers pronounce it "K-high".

Most the names which are central to the story can either be pronounced one way or have been spoken in game by some form of NPC. With things like D'ni which have multiple pronounceations (sp?) I go with the orginal "Dunny" but that just for irony reasons (that D'ni has no Dunny's)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 pm 

Sonseeahray, here are a couple of links that have some good info on them about pronouncing the D'ni letters. For the most part, D'ni words are transliterated into English phonetically... so what you see is how it sounds when you follow the pronunciation of the individual D'ni letters. Of course... there is some wiggle room and there's no telling if the D'ni words were transliterated correctly in the first place.

There is probably a lot of differences in opinion, but the way I pronounce some of the "big" names are:

Delin - Dehl-ihn

Dereno - Dehr-ehn-oh

D'ni - Duh-nee (with the accent on the "nee". Rand seems to put it on the "duh" more often than not)

Gahreesen - Gah-ree-sehn

Tsogal - Tsoh-gahl

Kadish Tolesa - Kay-dihsh Toh-leh-sah (lots of different ones for this)

Eder Kemo - Eh-dur Kehm-oh

Eder Gira - Eh-dur Gihr-ah

D'ni Font Chart

D'ni Linguistic Fellowship

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 pm 

Actually, I believe it's:

EH-dur KEE-moh
EH-dur GEAR-ah

NEH-gih-lahn
PAY-ih-FEH-rehn
TEH-tso-NOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Pretty sure it's pronounced "Duck - knee."

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:22 pm 

I guess I should have also included in my post the disclaimer that I am from Texas. D'ni spoken with a Texas accent is bound to sound a little weird!

Happy explorin', y'all!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:37 pm 

D'ni is a tricky one. In the original Myst, it was called Dunny. Upon realizing that "dunny" was an Australian term for a toilet, the spelling was changed to D'ni. It looks cooler that way too.

So you could pronounce it "dunny", and Rand Miller (probably due to habit) seems to do so. However, according to transliterations and all that fun stuff that was developed from Riven and onward, it's some consider it more proper to barely pronounce the "D" and emphasize that "ni".

On a side note, I like the way Cyan gave us the D'ni spellings for the pod ages in a roundabout way. Clever.