It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:42 am 

Sounds like there will be bigger content chunks and the times for them will be announced.

/shrug

Alright. I like the bit about more story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:49 am 
Obduction Backer

tkwiggins wrote:
Thanks to GD for the info and kudos to SeanS for the log -- that's gotta be the best organized, easiest-to-read chatlog I've seen! Really well done. :D

I agree!

Thanks for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I get the feeling that they'll be scheduling live events for certain times, rather than just having DRC members showing up willy-nilly.

KI#76914
Moderator for the Official Gametap Forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:15 am 

I second that, mac. Looks like giving times when the DRC will be in-cavern. That will be huge for we players who are largely active at USA nighttime. But I wonder how they will keep from being mobbed when they are there?

Gee, I hope there is a way for us to get some of our own story threads going, to supplement what Cyan can do...well, we'll see.

It would also be nice for friends to know when they are coming in next...a way to post your next regular cavern time by using the KI...that would help you play with the people you like, etc.

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:39 am 

This condensed log was great - thanks! I tried reading a full chatlog and with all the talk it was really hard to make sense of. Now we just have to wait. Aarrrggghh! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 am 

I think I know what this is. Sounds almost like getting rid of Cyan actors and replacing them with NPC's, like in WOW, that way NO one misses events, all can revel in the story, and missions can more easily be given out. In an MMO sense. In the long run, longtime and constant players will miss out on the realtime interaction with Cyan actors, people will not "become famous" as has been happening of late (good or bad) so that avoids the bashing and whatnot. Scary to say the least. But Cyan at this point has no choice. Uru needs to grow RAPIDLY, and with the current line of hardcore adventurers, it remains a solid but small group.

The plain fact is Uru may never rival the numbers that WOW gets, but with it's originality it should be getting a lot more attention. WOW is so repetative, and yet people play that crap like it were some digital crack. Uru is very original and very engaging, and yet people still have no idea how to approach it. Time for a change. I'm afraid either way you look at it, this "statement" is going to have as much effect on the community as the statement of Uru's first closure did..............Big and with a bang......good or bad it's going to rock the foundations.

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:12 am 

It's sounding to me like three different possibilities.

One, scheduled times for each DRC member during the week. So that we know when to be on, and where abouts they should be. This would increase communication alot, but would also mean we'd need to be patient when asking questions.

Another, is that NPC idea, which isn't all that uncommon to think of, as there've been AI's already who respond to certain phrases and give information. That would mean every player can talk to someone in charge, and feel like they're getting the information they need.

Finally, the possibility I like the best.. the chance to take on jobs. If we had a list of roles we could interview for, and were then given a task schedule for the week or month to work on, we'd know a bit more of what we're expected to do. This would also mean we'd feel like we were helping to restore things. The problem with this is that some people don't want to be told, and therefore would always hate the idea of becomming a DRC approved Explorer. Still, having a job to do sounds fun, because you can always choose to be a traitor to it, or become overly zealous, or whatever, so long as you know what's expected of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:48 am 
Obduction Backer

A big thank you for that nicely posted log.
I'm kind of worried now though. What if they decide to get rid of first person view or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:02 am 
Obduction Backer

My two cents....

Myst Online will from now on be episode based rather than realtime.

Enabling Cyan to plan better, have people in on a more regular basis and not disappoint them when they go online and nothing has changed. More important: Myst Online can be marketed and branded easier. I wouldn't be surprised if this idea initially came from Gametap. They have experience with the Sam and Max episodes (which in Holland I can't get :( ) which probably (very likely) work great.

I consider this "a not too bad idea". I like the realtime thought but also find it unlikely it will work out with the low staff situation at Cyan. They have to get more people online first and have to market the game better to do that. I believe this could do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:16 am 

Jennifer_P wrote:
I'm kind of worried now though. What if they decide to get rid of first person view or something?

Heh, that's quite unlikely. Whatever the change is, GD said it will affect the story. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
I was thinking the same thing, however as it stands, we're getting episodic "content" right now... each month, something new - an age (or pieces of), a bit of story, a sparklie etc. Some story elements change realtime etc, but I wouldn't consider that stepping outside the perceived "episode" too much.

Unless Cyan decides to slow down their releases into more coherent pieces of the story. /shrug. It might allow Cyan to better organize themselves, their story. :?:

Post subject: International players
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:43 am 

Quote:
05/02 17:16:46) darkstar: can i just confirm that the status of international players is not going to be affected
(05/02 17:17:04) Greydragon: International won't be affected

How should I interpret this, can't wait until it is Friday! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:48 am 

I suspect this means the game won't be online all the time. They release episodes and people join in, play the material they want during that period, then it goes offline, which gives them time to work on new content.

I think I actually suggested that more or less, so if I win the bet I should get an extra sparkly. :P

(Sorry for repeating what others also guessed, I didn't read all the replies, just the first post)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:27 am 

Quote:
Thend: Playing less by choice, or design?
(05/02 17:49:37) Greydragon: no time limits.. just your own time limits..

Based on the quote above, I don't believe that Cyan/Gametap will do on online and offline approach.

As for what will happen with mo:ul......I'm not going to even try to speculate!

I haven't played Myst 5, and was curious as to what the 'cannon' is that is constantly being referred to. Is there someone who could answer this for me?

Stephy KI #03327876
Dani'ka KI #0433161
Paul VQ KI #05456188

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Making the DRC NPC's would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mistake. Uru's feeling a little rigid as it is to me (and I can understand issues being faced so I deal with it) but having the DRC NPC's would just put me off.

Not only that it would stagnate the story, it's through the interactions that the people step up to the plate and progress the story.

Course they could not be doing that we won't know till the annoucement.

It has me a little concerned with where they are going with this though.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next