It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:56 am 

Having never run into a live DRC member, I'd welcome NPC versions of them, especially if they appear at set times.

I don't really like having to check the forums for updates on the game and its story, and I don't like the inevitable waiting for bolded versions after that. It's just not a good story vector.

The supposed "back and forth" interactive aspect of the story doesn't seem to be working, so NPCs are a much better delivery mechanism for story. Especially considering that the "best" thing we've seen so far is the Anti-DRC movement, and people didn't like Nick's womanizing character, etc. While the story may be less interactive, we're not benefiting from its supposed interactivity right now, so I'd rather they spent their time producing a better-written, better-planned, higher-quality story.

And who is to say that the story won't be interactive, just not via real-time, in-game interactions? The DRC could set up a suggestion box, or have real people assume the role of the characters from time to time, and then use that feedback to create different static content.

Even without that, though, all of this is intended to lead to a more coherent story and more of the content I care about, so this is win-win-win-win-win-win for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:12 am 
Obduction Backer

That issue could be solved with having the DRC showing up more often. Thankfully Cate has been popping up more often which I hope is a sign of things to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:15 am 

Tweek wrote:
Making the DRC NPC's would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mistake. Uru's feeling a little rigid as it is to me (and I can understand issues being faced so I deal with it) but having the DRC NPC's would just put me off.

Not only that it would stagnate the story, it's through the interactions that the people step up to the plate and progress the story.

One thing does not have to exclude the other. I think that Uru will need a few more computer-controlled NPCs, but that doesn't mean they have to get rid of the actors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:53 am 
Excellent job on the chatlog.

This:

Greydragon wrote:
(05/02 17:47:54) Greydragon: I am trying to say.. people who play non-stop might find themself in less and people who don't know when to come in might come in more during certain times.. - wow thats spills alot..

immediately made me think that the Cavern would only be open at certain times...maybe access to more servers at the cost of 24/7 availability. I hope I'm wrong about that, since I and many others are at the opposite end of many time zones they might pick...I guess we'll see. It is something of a luxury that four or five of us get to wander around the Cavern and Ages all on our own...but it's one I've come to depend on a bit. If MOUL is only running when I'm at work (when I go back to work) then that's kind of going to cripple me...

*forced shutdown of speculation bone* We shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:00 am 
Stephy wrote:
Quote:
Thend: Playing less by choice, or design?
(05/02 17:49:37) Greydragon: no time limits.. just your own time limits..

Based on the quote above, I don't believe that Cyan/Gametap will do on online and offline approach.

As for what will happen with mo:ul......I'm not going to even try to speculate!

I haven't played Myst 5, and was curious as to what the 'cannon' is that is constantly being referred to. Is there someone who could answer this for me?

Read "canon." :)

If you weren't calling attention to the typo, the issue is this: Myst V contains a great deal of information concerning the bahro, Yeesha and other things. The position on whether this information is accurate in Uru IC terms has undergone some mutation over time...first it wasn't, then some of it was, and I've seen some people recently stating that all of it was. The correct answer will have a considerable effect on some of our views of "the matter of D'ni," so we're naturally interested in knowing one way or another. I've actually emailed RAWA to ask, but haven't had an answer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Amazing job with the condensed log - well done and thank you ;)

As for the change - hmm...

Obviously I have no idea, but the thing that springs to mind immediately is to do with roleplaying.

My stab at this speculative madness is that Cyan will clamp down on roleplaying groups such as the ADM - those that are most extreme. The number of people who dislike the conflict caused by the actions of this group is large. Very large. I know that if Cyan were to dissolve them, I'd be having a better time.

That's probably just my wishful thinking, though :P. What I'm fairly sure it won't be is a server-on / server-off type scheme ("no time limits"), or anything similar.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:46 am 

Guys, read GD's log again. he specifically says "NO TIME LIMITS" stop fretting about the servers only being available at certain times. thats not going to happen as that would affect international players which has has already ruled out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:20 am 

Ugh... The suspense is killing me.

I personally have the strongest impression that this is going to be bad news.

Of course, that may just be flashbacks....

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:37 am 

My vote goes to the idea that content releases will be more scheduled. Something like the DRC (or even Cyan/Gametap) posting actual release dates for future content. Along with that I think the releases will be larger and more widely spaced.

I expect to get the same amount of content we see now (because Cyan hasn't hired many more people), but in lager chunks and with advance notice. This lets the more casual players among us play the game when they know something new is available rather than wandering around the cavern being bored and complaining about the lack of content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 am 

I totally agree with you Timothy

1-
I think Cyan will annouce that they plan
to release new content in bigger chunks, in an episodic and scheduled fashion rather than spreading and stretching the content during the all month.

- This will ease fans high expectations, we'll know what to expect.
- It will be easier to plan our game time
- it will be easier for Cyan to developp the storyline more coherently
- It will be easier to market the game

2-
Also Cyan may put a hold to these Fans side-storylines like the ADM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:31 pm 

I don't mind that content is spread out over a month, for me it adds to the realism. Where's the story if everything comes in one large chunk?

If this little announcement means that the DRC comes to talk to the explorers at more fixed times I would welcome it a lot. Somehow they always seem to log on when I log off. And there are people out there that has never seen an official character at all. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:00 pm 

Tweek wrote:
That issue could be solved with having the DRC showing up more often. Thankfully Cate has been popping up more often which I hope is a sign of things to come.

Actually I think that is the problem. Greydragon said this change is to make the best out of the resources they have. They probably can't have the DRC show up more often because that pulls someone away from working on content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes I know, a lot of the issues stems with man power at bl00 HQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:37 pm 

Maybe they will schedule the DRC appearences and we will all get our own bahro butler who will greet us as soon as we first link in with our itinerary for the day. That way we will know as soon as we get to our relto what is happening that day.
Maybe not. I always wanted a butler. :lol:
No matter what they do, the change is gonna be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:53 pm 

Lynnutte wrote:
Maybe they will schedule the DRC appearences and we will all get our own bahro butler

Yeah- that! :lol:

I want a bahro butler too!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next