It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 pm 

Greydragon wrote:
(05/02 17:47:54) Greydragon: I am trying to say.. people who play non-stop might find themself in less and people who don't know when to come in might come in more during certain times.. - wow thats spills alot..

I don't read this to mean restrictions on cavern access at all ...

I think that the suggestions of more scheduled events/appearances/updates and/or the introduction of NPCs are close to the mark.

Certainly I take it to suggest there will be some way in which players know that they can log on at a chosen time and will be able to 'progress', attend events or otherwise know that they can achieve something 'useful'. Whether that is a time scheduled by Cyan (events) or can be at a time scheduled by the player (NPCs) remains to be seen!

Maybe both, who knows ... :D

Being an international player who also tries his best to earn a living, it's hard enough to find the opportunity to catch a 'scheduled' portal appearance, never mind an unscheduled appearance by one of the DRC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have run into one of them, and for those few explorers who have become active parts of the Uru lore by their interactions with the DRC to date, it must be a great buzz. I hope we haven't seen the last of those opportunities, but I think there will be less in the way of 'impromptu' or intermittent events of the kind which we have seen so far.

(EDIT: corrected tags)

Last edited by C'ristan on Thu May 03, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:53 pm 

Islander wrote:
Amazing job with the condensed log - well done and thank you ;)

As for the change - hmm...

Obviously I have no idea, but the thing that springs to mind immediately is to do with roleplaying.

My stab at this speculative madness is that Cyan will clamp down on roleplaying groups such as the ADM - those that are most extreme. The number of people who dislike the conflict caused by the actions of this group is large. Very large. I know that if Cyan were to dissolve them, I'd be having a better time.

That's probably just my wishful thinking, though :P. What I'm fairly sure it won't be is a server-on / server-off type scheme ("no time limits"), or anything similar.

Those darn evil ADMers watch out they eat babies and steel your girlfriends. If this kills the ADM so be it. But they haven't been that bad.

This is going to be interesting to see what happens. This can make things a lot more exciting. Can't wait for the news

Love to all
Vicki Vale (formerly Austin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:04 pm 

kinda wish GD hadnt said anything so we wouldnt have this suspense and speculations flying around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:10 pm 

Vormaen wrote:
I think I know what this is. Sounds almost like getting rid of Cyan actors and replacing them with NPC's, like in WOW, that way NO one misses events, all can revel in the story, and missions can more easily be given out. In an MMO sense. In the long run, longtime and constant players will miss out on the realtime interaction with Cyan actors, people will not "become famous" as has been happening of late (good or bad) so that avoids the bashing and whatnot. Scary to say the least. But Cyan at this point has no choice. Uru needs to grow RAPIDLY, and with the current line of hardcore adventurers, it remains a solid but small group.

The plain fact is Uru may never rival the numbers that WOW gets, but with it's originality it should be getting a lot more attention. WOW is so repetative, and yet people play that crap like it were some digital crack. Uru is very original and very engaging, and yet people still have no idea how to approach it. Time for a change. I'm afraid either way you look at it, this "statement" is going to have as much effect on the community as the statement of Uru's first closure did..............Big and with a bang......good or bad it's going to rock the foundations.

People choose to play online games for one purpose, for fun. Right now URU needs to be more fun for more people, not just a small but solid group of hardcore people. When URU becomes more fun, more people will join. MMO's like WoW are more of an anomaly than the norm. Generally I believe most MMO's out there range in population from 100,000 to 500,000 users - for subscription based games. The only number I have ever seen 'hyped' on the forums for MOUL has been 10,000 and I'd call that hype mostly innacurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I think it's clear that they plan to announce the content in advance which will allow the explorers to better plan their time in the cavern. That's a good thing; I just hope they do it as IC as possible, i.e., thru something like the D'ni Network http://www.dninetwork.net/

I'm sure this won't affect our ability to continue organizing meetings and social events in the cavern, but I am concerned that it might be something that reduces our ability to actually affect the storyline.

(Congratulations on your recent nuptials, Vicki.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 pm 

I'm thinking the DRC as we've known it is going away. They already seem to be largely MIA and GD said that this statement will reflect changes already underway. Furthermore I think we will see less direct involvement of RAWA and Rand and other Cyan luminaries directly in-game or on the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm 
Cyan Employee

Vormaen wrote:
I think I know what this is. Sounds almost like getting rid of Cyan actors and replacing them with NPC's.

Nope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:46 pm 

greydragon wrote:
Vormaen wrote:
I think I know what this is. Sounds almost like getting rid of Cyan actors and replacing them with NPC's.

Nope

:idea: Maybe they will be replaced by robots. :P

I know of one who is already posting in here.
Artic_Wagon = nanoukmetal- toot toot = Oscar >>>from Syberia 2

Last edited by Artic_Wagon on Thu May 03, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:

greydragon wrote:
Vormaen wrote:

Nope

haha! a man of few words :lol:

Post subject:

greydragon wrote:
Vormaen wrote:

Nope

yaaaay!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm 
Cyan Employee

bpgisme wrote:
flashbacks....

-Bonnie

Ya they are just flashbacks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

This should be a very interesting announcement, indeed. If it makes our Uru experience more predictable and methodical, I'll welcome the change. With previous Myst titles, and with Uru ABM, our time in the Cavern and Ages was quite mission-based, meaning that we'd log in with a purpose in mind; we'd know, for example, that during our last visit we'd found all but two journey cloths in Teledahn, for example, and we'd link in with that task in mind. And we fully expected that once we'd found those last cloths, we'd find ourselves in the Bahro cave, getting a lecture from Yeesha, and with that, the reassurance that we'd reached a benchmark and were on track in a much larger, over-arching story.

With that in mind, I'm not at all surprised to hear that Cyan will be issuing a statement of some kind. There has been so much discussion among both old and new explorers, expressing confusion and disappointment over the current state of things. I was one of many who was expecting a great flood of new story material with the onset of Live, and was anticipating that new story as eagerly as I was looking forward to any new Ages. As it is, things really aren't that much different from Prologue and UU; and the few new areas we've seen merely introduce more mysteries, even after we've "solved" them.

On a related note, I've become a keen fan of Sam & Max. I like the idea of episodic content releases, using regular characters and environments. I could really see the contrast between Sam & Max and Uru in that regard; as related above, I can jump back into an unfinished Sam & Max episode recalling exactly where I left off, and eager to resume the story. In Uru, on the other hand, new "episodes" have consisted of, for example, new pods that seem to be rife with story possibilities, but where the only payoff is a new rotating stone in our Relto; pods with buttons that make animal noises, but to no obvious effect; and so forth. I link into the City during the evening, find that there's nothing much going on except for small-talk among a few explorers, and link out... and while I enjoy fraternizing with my fellow explorers, it would be so much more exciting to link in with a real mission and a purpose in mind, and to know that I was contributing to the story in some way.

Anyway, I still love Uru, and am constantly amazed at what Cyan can do. I look forward to this "State of the Cavern" address.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:51 pm 
Good to know he's watching (and probably chuckling quietly). Hi, GD. :)

As one of the vanishingly small minority who's been almost scarily happy with MOUL the way it's been, and looking forward to more of the same, it's hard for me to see any possible radical change as being an improvement...but that means that if it is, I shall be very pleasantly surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:53 pm 

afternoon GD!!

any closer to being able to tell us when the annoucement will be made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:00 pm 

Firesign wrote:
greydragon wrote:
Vormaen wrote:

Nope

yaaaay!!!! :D

YAY!

*leaves out cookies for GD*

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next