It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Discussion on Dr. Watson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay, it's pretty clear that there's going to be something going on with Dr. Watson in either Deception or the Season Finale. Reteltee said that he hopes that Watson will come, and J.D. said that he thinks the answers are in Watson's journal.

I read through Watson's journal (for those of you who want, I found an online version of it here). Here's what's pretty obvious from reading it - After he thought that Phil Henderson was dead, Watson tried to leave the cavern (through the system created to the surface described in Book of Ti'ana). He eventually found the Great Shaft, and made his way all the way up the the rest station where he left his journal.

As most people have assumed, it seems that he decided to take Yeesha's journey. This is based on the following passages:

Dr. Watson wrote:
I keep running it over in my head. I've been so committed to this project for so long, maybe I've been deluding myself about the truth. What if we've been wrong all along? What if Jeff [Zandi]'s been right?

Dr. Watson wrote:
from entry on 1.17.04

But now I understand that I need more than a dead story from a pile of bones. I need a storyteller who lives.
I have come to a conclusion. A conclusion that goes against who I was, but fills me with life and hope. I will take a leap of faith. I will take a new journey - the journey that Phil encouraged me to take for myself - a journey that is out of my control.
I will follow Yeesha's mysterious beckoning.

Clearly, these passages imply that Watson returned to the surface to take Yeesha's journey.

Here's what I think all this means:

It has been said that "war's a'brewin'" down in the D'ni caverns. It seems to me that it will be a war of interests - is the purpose of, for lack of an IC term, the Uru experience really about exploring ages, or is it about returning the Bahro pillars? Restoration vs. Bahro. It seems like this is setting up to be a battle of Dr. Watson vs. Cate in a battle royale over the DRC.

Other thoughts on how Watson will impact future episodes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:31 pm 

I think it is about bringing the explorers together within the guild structure to balance the power of the DRC and show the bahro we are not all minions of the DRC...

By the way since we are allowed to have the KI #'s of the DRC- anyone know what Dr Watson's is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:02 pm 

Jenine wrote:
By the way since we are allowed to have the KI #'s of the DRC- anyone know what Dr Watson's is?

I don't know that he has one yet. He hasn't been in the cavern since MOUL started. Didn't the DRC have to get new KI#s with MOUL or did they keep their old ones? If someone has Watson's old KI, maybe you could share it with us :D.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 pm 

By the way- if Dr Watson does show up the DRC better have a 1000 person stadium seating venue ready for the crowd!!! Football stadium might be better... Did the D'ni even play football? Jalak will not do- it's not big enough for the crowd although he could stand in the center with his pillar all the way at the top. What do you think the crowd capacity would be in there. The maintainers better get on it!!!

Hey maybe we can use Minkata- it might be big enough but no stadium seating!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm 

Jenine wrote:
By the way- if Dr Watson does show up the DRC better have a 1000 person stadium seating venue ready for the crowd!!! Football stadium might be better... Did the D'ni even play football? Jalak will not do- it's not big enough for the crowd although he could stand in the center with his pillar all the way at the top. What do you think the crowd capacity would be in there. The maintainers better get on it!!!

Hey maybe we can use Minkata- it might be big enough but no stadium seating!

:lol:

I think you over estimate the community. Most of the players would go "Watson who?"

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:17 pm 

I am afraid I respectfully disagree, i think that most would certainly and do certainly know of Dr Watson......and be intrigued by any news of his wherebouts, I certainly am :) I NIEVER underestimate the URU community. with many good reasons past, and present. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:29 pm 

I respectfully disagree. When phend showed up people had no idea. When they were told it was Phil, still no idea. There are some that know these characters, but since Watson hasn't been a part of MOUL except for the journal in Descent, people just aren't going to know. That's my opinion. Of course since the max population of all the public areas is 100, unless he shows up in a hood, interaction will be limited anyway.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:23 pm 

I just have NO clue on what is going on. I mean I know what has happened but I have no idea where it is going, how it is going to go, and when its gone. We have a Bahro war with Sharper taking out a good bahro by accident. Phil returns all babbling nonsense about colors and he is coming. Engberg leaves and takes the Watson route. And then there's all Eschers' stuff still not taken care of. And where the heck is Yeesha?

I think I'm more confused than ever....nothing is making any sense at all. Please, someone throw me journal so I can read it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
I respectfully disagree. When phend showed up people had no idea. When they were told it was Phil, still no idea. There are some that know these characters, but since Watson hasn't been a part of MOUL except for the journal in Descent, people just aren't going to know. That's my opinion. Of course since the max population of all the public areas is 100, unless he shows up in a hood, interaction will be limited anyway.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully agree with Frisky Badger. The majority of the community are not die-hard Myst fans and haven't even played Path of the Shell yet, so the chance that they would remember Watson or even care about the reemergence of a character they've haven't seen is slim. I'm sure they'd care once he's integrated back into the story, but initially they're not going to know who he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 am 

In a way, for this very reason it's kind of bad that new explorers don't always follow the path from the beginning as we all did... Probably many of the newer ones haven't stopped to read all the journals unless they are part of the puzzle... You know what I mean? My son is new at all of this and I told him to read every book, study everything he finds, explore every corner, but people who have never been before may not even know to look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:57 am 

I totally agree bpgisme. I don't want to stop new players from getting at content, but everything makes so much more sense if you play the original Journey first. When I first played Uru, it was before MOUL launched and you didn't get the neighborhood book until after you finished the Journey. The one downside to that is it's harder for new players to get help.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:54 am 

I beg to differ! I consider myself a new explorer (since March) and (gasp) never really played Myst or Riven although my best friend played on my computer... long story.

When I started playing Uru I became so engrossed I scoured the forums, dug through hundreds of web pages and asked lots of questions- including here. I think I have a solid grasp on most of the game.... or maybe not, but I sure know how to find the answers if need be.

I'm still ready to sell tickets for the "return of him" who ever that turns out to be... maybe Jalak will be big enough- Minkata might be overkill.... anyone want to set up a hot dog stand? Na- cookies might be better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:33 am 
Obduction Backer

And I respectfully agree with Jenine. I did play Myst,Riven and Exile and I've played URU ABM - but no Path of the Shell, Complete Chronicles, Revelation or Myst 5. (So I have little idea of who Esher is other than the occasional explorer name-dropping comment.) But I too have explored and continue to explore the forums and websites (so rich with material!) and do not feel like a "newbie" in cavern. I certainly know who Dr. Watson is.

D'Mala KI# 180078
Tapestry KI# 718641

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 pm 

My point was and is, respectfully, and again from my own personal persepective, it is constantly amazing to me how deep and thoughtful and intuitive and interested the community here in URU is, and i therefore relax and enjoy my explorations knowing that just about anyone from anywhere we meet here will be intrigued and interested and enjoying it in their own way......so I don't worry about who will know what in detail, but enjoy the time spent with nice and interesting people all around. Dr Watson is one of the excellent threads to be interested in and I and many of us are. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]