It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Old Sparklies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 pm 

I got the Minkata sparklie, but it was the first I encountered and I've missed all the others due to not starting to play until recently. Will the old sparklies be available at some point? Can sparklies be shared like relto pages so everyone gets the full complement of sparklies?

Corun

KI #07143999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:44 pm 

The old sparklies probably won't be available until next year.

Which is kind of unfair, considering some (January through March, I think?) were only available to beta players.

I have walked the path of Troughton...
From "The Power of the Daleks" (May 2007?)
To "The Two Doctors" (June 26, 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Open beta was November / December and there weren't any sparklies. They started with Live Build 1 on 16th January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Corun,

Unfortunately they can't be "shared". You have to walk through them to earn them.

As far as whether we'll get a shot at them again after they have disappeared... no one knows for sure, but we have speculated that since they appear at the beginning of each month that we might get a shot at them next year starting as January rolls around.

Of course, we also don't know if there is a reward for gathering them all. That may change everything. If there IS a reward, Cyan may feel pressure to allow others a chance to gather them more quickly than waiting several months. We wait and see how the game develops.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:50 pm 

/shrug
It was an open beta.

They'll come around again, most likely. They're a reward for players who have been around a long time - I would feel a little cheated if they started handing them out to newcomers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 pm 

Tayr wrote:
/shrug
It was an open beta.

They'll come around again, most likely. They're a reward for players who have been around a long time - I would feel a little cheated if they started handing them out to newcomers.

You mean like us Oldtimers who were around playing Uru when it was run on Ubisoft's servers?

Corun

KI #07143999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

You can visit someone's relto, Corun. I'm expecting to be able to walk the spiral like in PotS with all the sparklies, so any visitor should be able to do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:39 pm 

Corun wrote:
You mean like us Oldtimers who were around playing Uru when it was run on Ubisoft's servers?

Corun

Fair point.

I guess it's a matter of activity, rather than original join time. I realize that many players did not have the ability to join Live immediately, and for that reason I hope and expect the sparklies to make a return next year.

In the mean time, you're not missing much at this point. They're just shiny. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just for perspective, I only have the June sparklie on my avatar because I was unable to get online from home until just this week ;).

Hoping to catch up to you guys next year!

*wanders off muttering about having to work on a sparklie-hunt day*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Alahmnat wrote:

Oooo, oooo, questions abound! Catch up? You mean they aren't erased? And we can make it up? Next year? You mean it's not cumulative beyond one year? Hoo boy! So much more to ask! Shall we take this a very well informed clue? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 pm 

Tayr wrote:
Fair point.

I guess it's a matter of activity, rather than original join time. I realize that many players did not have the ability to join Live immediately, and for that reason I hope and expect the sparklies to make a return next year.

Activity is a matter of perspective. I got involved in Uru back when it was first being hinted about by the DRC and played on the lag infested servers Ubisoft managed to cobble together. I've also been playing Myst since it's first introduction in '93, back when I'd guess a significant number of current players were toddlers or possibly unborn. Yeah, I'm an Olde Phart. And grumpy sometimes, but that comes with the territory. :) Does any of that mean I should have more sparklies than you? Nope, not a bit of it. I just want to know if I've missed something completely and whether I'll have a chance to catch up with the rest of you lot who have been having tons of fun in the new and improved Uru while I've been playing Mech Commander.

Tayr wrote:
In the mean time, you're not missing much at this point. They're just shiny. :)

But we like shiny. Keeps the Relto from looking too dull.

Corun

KI #07143999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:36 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Just for perspective, I only have the June sparklie on my avatar because I was unable to get online from home until just this week ;).

*wanders off muttering about having to work on a sparklie-hunt day*

I know what you mean, old friend. I moved about two years ago and only just got broadband at my new place a couple months ago. This is just one of the reasons I hadn't been looking to see if Uru had been resurrected. With only dial up I'd have been really frustrated at not being able to play at all knowing it was out there and me a long 56k link away.

So while you and I are (patiently) waiting for the old sparklies, how about forming a team with me so I can solve Eder Delin and the other one (can't recall how to spell it) that requires 8 players to complete. I need more relto pages and floating Bahro rings for my relto.

Corun

KI #07143999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:10 am 

Just a note, but, no matter when you joined Uru, it will take one year to
collect all the sparklies. Newcomers should have to wait a year, just like
those of us who started earlier...don't ya think?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:31 pm 

redrum wrote:
Just a note, but, no matter when you joined Uru, it will take one year to
collect all the sparklies. Newcomers should have to wait a year, just like
those of us who started earlier...don't ya think?

:D

Nope. I see the sparklies in the same way I do the feathers. I can still get all those. There is no logic to turning on or off the sparklies that I can see. That of course doesn't mean there isn't some logical reason to do so. But if there's an overall plan for them beyond merely decorating the Relto then they have to be made available to everyone at some point. Making people wait is just silly IMO. I feel the same about the Pod ages. I understand the need for offsetting the times for portals to appear so as to not bog down servers, but I really dislike the waiting game. And I get cranky waiting several days to have the portal time and my work schedule line up so I can play the game. This is, of course, my personal opinion. I don't expect anyone else to find the same things fun as I do. Nor should anyone expect me to find fun what they think is fun.

Corun

KI #07143999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:

Oooo, oooo, questions abound! Catch up? You mean they aren't erased? And we can make it up? Next year? You mean it's not cumulative beyond one year? Hoo boy! So much more to ask! Shall we take this a very well informed clue? ;)

No :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next