It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:50 pm
Posts: 1363
Location: In Maple syrup country
My take on the logs -

Phil is (a) familiar voice - he has told us that the Bahro are now free to make choices. Just as we humans have free will - to choose between good and evil - so do the Bahro now have free will - to choose the path of good (life) or the path of evil (death). He also told us that what is happening here is periferal to a larger battle going on elsewhere.

Who freed them - Phil says us and another - he also states Yeesha failed. Us - by returning the four pillers we pick up in the first four ages. The other - the one (stranger) in End of Ages who succeeded where Yeesha failed. My own opinion here - by keeping the pillars in Relto you are indicating to the Bahro that you choose the D'ni path of enslavement.

Motive of the Bahro choice - isn't that rather obvious? For the ones who choose evil (death) it could be revenge. For all that they had gone through while enslaved. They want to wipe out the D'ni for what the D'ni did to them. We are innocent bystanders who stumbled into the fight so to speak. The Bahro who have chosen good (life) know we are innocent (so far) and are trying to protect us. One of them sacrified itself to prevent Sharper's rash action from turning them all against us. My own opinion here - Wheely died because she was where she shouldn't have been. By her own choice.
Quote:
(08/03 19:14:55) Douglas Sharper: I was angry. Do you know what they did to Wheely?
(08/03 19:15:51) phend: I know. It was a choice. Wheely found a place she shouldn't have.


There is more to glean from these logs - but RL calls and I have to go. All I can say - questions were answered and more have arisen. This story is getting better and better. :D

_________________
All things come to those who wait.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6229
Location: Everywhere, all at once
Herohtar wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Herohtar wrote:
VoiZod wrote:
But now what of those stone tablets you could write on? and the ages of M5
Does this mean we will never see this take place in MOUL? like I was hoping for???


Yes.

No so fast there, Herohtar. ;)

Yes, No, Maybe So.

It's possible we will see EoA ages after the Ubisoft publishing rights expire in, or at the end of, 2008.

Significant RAWA posts which mention the Bahro or Myst V:
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=32409#32409
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=9043#9043
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=32603#32603


I didn't mean there isn't any possibility of seeing Myst V Ages some time in the future; I was answering the question as far as seeing the stone tablets and Myst V things take place -- the Bahro are no longer under control of the tablet, and all the Myst V events have taken place, thus we won't see them take place like VoiZod was hoping for.

Ah, yes. As RAWA laments about in his posts.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:50 am
Posts: 123
IIRC from the logs of the Wheely "incident" she does mention that the walls of the cave she was trapped in are covered in symbols, and when she touched one, it glowed. I assumed at that point that it was a cave similar to the cave that Explorers are linked to during the various journeys, since it matches the description exactly, minus the fact that it didn't have giant hole in the middle (or, at least, such a thing was never mentioned). So Phil's statement that she found some place she shouldn't have didn't surprise me.
Which raises the question: Why did she find it? IIRC, one of the DRC members said that the quake didn't seem natural, and since the Bahro are capable of causing things like that...that lead me to believe that one of them opened the way to the cave intentionally, especially since Wheely just *happened* to be right there to see the opening...
Which raises a further question: Which faction opened the cave? The good? That doesn't make much sense, because they likely would have known that something bad could happen to her. The bad? The only real reason I could think of for one of them to open it was for an excuse to hurt/kill her...which also makes no sense, because if they wanted an excuse, then they already had the intention of doing it, and so wouldn't have gone through the trouble.
Maybe a mysterious third party, trying to catalyze an anti-Bahro movement among the Explorers and get them to turn against the "good" Bahro who show up in the Cavern?

_________________
KI # 03593691 (Samuel Churchill)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: edited version
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 am
Posts: 72
Location: Hot Springs, VA
Thanks to whomever edited the log; I could not as my granddaughter has been very ill and RL prevails.
One thing to note in the full text version, is how persistent people are in making sure THEIR voices are heard above significant character's appearances and narration. I believe the time for quips and jokes is after the event so we can fully enjoy what enfolds before us.
To have sat between Phil and Douglas during their conversation was thrilling and my first witness to such an event in the game, but I almost left from the frustration at the insistence of some explorers to ask pointless and inane questions, almost left because I was so embarrassed to be in the midst of such dolts.
The same thing happened with Marie Sutherland's appearance--and I was there and logged it; the same thing happened when Rand came for the opening of one of the last two episodes.
It is like the old test where the first direction is to carefully read through all the directions before answering, and yet many rush through it trying to be the first to finish, bypassing the first direction only to find the last one to state: do not answer any questions.
It would be good for all of us to learn respect, patience, dignity, and self-control so as to better enjoy the game and its various aspects--one of which is the observance of certain characters.
It's like trying to read a book with monkeys dancing across the page!
Disruptive behavior, whether unintentional due to excitement and lack of self-control, or intentional because someones' ego gets in the way, may prevent us in the end from experiencing such exciting occurrences. How sad.

_________________
Lule: KI# 00696896

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: edited version
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:05 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:58 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: The Netherlands
Lule wrote:
To have sat between Phil and Douglas during their conversation was thrilling and my first witness to such an event in the game, but I almost left from the frustration at the insistence of some explorers to ask pointless and inane questions, almost left because I was so embarrassed to be in the midst of such dolts.

I know that there were many who were frustrated about that, I know I was. I hope that changes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:16 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Cullman, Alabama
I know that some of the questions we ask are surprisingly stupid, and very often repetitive, but to me they are a necessary evil, and nothing to get bent out of shape about. It is a perfectly natural occurance in a large gathering of people to have that happen. And it fills a very useful purpose in these gatherings: it gives the NPC time to formulate and post their responses. I found the Marie Sutherland meeting that was moderated to be slow and plodding, even though it might read better in chat logs. It's not the fault of the moderator, it's just that there was none of that chatter to fill in the awkward pauses.

_________________
MOULagain KI: 00042417 00032066


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 am
Posts: 289
Location: Newnan, GA
Hawkin wrote:
IIRC from the logs of the Wheely "incident" she does mention that the walls of the cave she was trapped in are covered in symbols, and when she touched one, it glowed. I assumed at that point that it was a cave similar to the cave that Explorers are linked to during the various journeys, since it matches the description exactly, minus the fact that it didn't have giant hole in the middle (or, at least, such a thing was never mentioned). So Phil's statement that she found some place she shouldn't have didn't surprise me.
Which raises the question: Why did she find it? IIRC, one of the DRC members said that the quake didn't seem natural, and since the Bahro are capable of causing things like that...that lead me to believe that one of them opened the way to the cave intentionally, especially since Wheely just *happened* to be right there to see the opening...
Which raises a further question: Which faction opened the cave? The good? That doesn't make much sense, because they likely would have known that something bad could happen to her. The bad? The only real reason I could think of for one of them to open it was for an excuse to hurt/kill her...which also makes no sense, because if they wanted an excuse, then they already had the intention of doing it, and so wouldn't have gone through the trouble.Maybe a mysterious third party, trying to catalyze an anti-Bahro movement among the Explorers and get them to turn against the "good" Bahro who show up in the Cavern?


The Bad Bahro could have opened it hoping someone would go in. The reason they would want someone to go in is because they could then trap them, in turn making the DRC open an escape path for the Bahro in the prison cave. Maybe the Bahro in the cave was the leader of the evil ones and the good ones trapped it in the cave. once it knew it would be freed, it killed Wheely to leave no witness.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: In the Cleft
Klaxen, interesting post, I suspect perhaps that the Bahro activity and the opening of the subterranean area may have been some activity of their own not connected to the explorations of any of us, including Wheely and she just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lule, i was the humble hand that edited the chat log, I had trouble seeing the important statments by the Phil and Mr. Sharper, and as I was not able to be there, I was eager to learn what was being shared.

I admitt I too was at first a bit befuddled by all the questions, but over time, even just in editing the log, I came to have a different feeling than at first. The excitment was clear from the questions and one of the unique things about the way chat works in the cavern is that everyone has an equal chance to share, a remarkable achievement when most communication on the surface is blocked, and controlled and filtered by many hiearchical levels of control. I would hate to see that freedom curbed in any way. Indeed, the DRC and other characters seem quite able to maintain their poise and get what they want to say, said.

As I would not want to see even one voice stilled, as we are all important and essential to the effort in the Cavern, I hope I can continue to learn patience and to have the calm and the poise of our DRC visitors in public gatherings. It may take longer and we may need to share in editing logs afterwards, and please if anyone seeing important questions that I neglected to include in that edited log, PM or post me.......but I really enjoy seeing how everyone and anyone can be part of this remarkable story. :) And Lule, I hope your grand daughter is better, and it was very kind of you to share the log with us from that remarkable meeting.

_________________
URU MOUL Lives
Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin
"We Build Worlds"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:20 am
Posts: 268
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Who is he that must not be named? The Great King, the Terrorist of D'ni, or the self proclaimed god? Whoever "HE" is, he has been known before. Prepare for something wicked.

_________________
"One owes respect to the living. To the dead, one owes only the truth." -Voltaire

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: I agree . . .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 am
Posts: 72
Location: Hot Springs, VA
. . . with you CrisGer, about not silencing anyone and that in URU all voices can be heard and I have to admit the one who typed in about eating popcorn real fast was really funny even at the time!

In real life we know how annoying people are when they don't know how to self-edit themselves and run their mouths, whether at work, play, or with family--and heck, most of us at times can fit into that category. That's RL.

What is so cool and exciting about URU, is that we really get to be "You Are You!" Through our avies we can pretend we are this or that, younger than we are or older, prettier or more handsome or thin or beefier--and I always have to have a little giggle when seeing avies who must look like their owners! I have one that is a little old lady, as I sort of an old lady, just don't look or act like it, but it's fun to pull her out to see what reactions I would get, do get.

URU is the opportunity to play a cool game, escape from RL, meet people and bond with people from around the world, and also take a break from have we present ourselves to the world day to day and either get to be whom we really are or whom we really wish we could be.

Unfortunately, some of us, including me, bring in some of our RL bad habits. URU is not a utopia, but a flawed world through whose crack we've been able to slip through and explore.

I was really PO'd during the Phend and Sharper conversation, because even though I knew it was, I was, logging it--though the lag, which was sooo bad could have cause me to freeze out thereby loosing the log, I was PO'd because when everyone flies at typing the text I'm trying to follow scrolls up and out of view, making it hard to follow the good parts.

Asking a good question or showing excitement once or twice, and seeing there is not or will not be a response, should clue explorers in to go to the listening mode. Often the characters respond when an explorer types in a request to ask a question. THATS when they will respond.

Though during the conversation this topic refers to one person asked to speak with Phend in private IM, while Phend and Sharper were in midst of conversation; the log does not show it, but this person actually stood up in Phil's face to make his demand! Phil had to move around the person to be back face to face with Sharper.

I truly understand your point, CrisGer, but balance is needed in both listening, patience, and speaking/questioning. Hopefully we explorers can reach a consensus on that.

Now, I promise no more from me on this matter. On with the game! Zalek awaits! or not.

Pax,
Lule

_________________
Lule: KI# 00696896

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Oh! BYW , CrisGer. . .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 am
Posts: 72
Location: Hot Springs, VA
. . . my granddaughter is doing better but will visit a neurologist after her doctor gets back from vacation. But her attitude is great and she loves to play URU!
Thank you for your kind remarks!

_________________
Lule: KI# 00696896

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: In the Cleft
Good Lule, re your granddaughter our thoughts for healing are with you and her!!! and I am very glad she loves URU, Shorah to her!!

I do agree with you re balance in the mass gatherings re chat and dialog, I was raised in an earlier generation by several :) and we NEVER interrupted, or so I recall :) when others were speaking, ...... but over time I have seen explorers learning how to work with this unique communicaton system we have, it is quite remarkable in its plurality and democracy, there have been few real democracies in the history of the surface world, and I suppose among other things that is fascinating about URU is the learning curve of the community in its internal communications..... so all the thoughts on that are indeed valueable, It sounded like a fascinating encounter and thanks agian for your great posting of the log and commnets of everyone since. Much remains to be revealed and I have a feeling we are in for some exciting times :)

In large gatherings, I learned of a method used in on line group meetings where people wanted to ask a question, they typed an ! and waited to be called upon. something like that could indeed streamline the chat in large gatherings, but it would indeed take pattience and who knows if it would work here, but it was very interesting and I wanted to pass it on for group consideration.

_________________
URU MOUL Lives
Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin
"We Build Worlds"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SEMrush [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron