It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:46 pm 

Several people asked me to post an edited Laxman chat log with all the superfluous banter removed.

How may times have you read someone expressing their wish that people would edit the chat logs to make them easier to read? Plenty of times.

So I did, only to have the mods lock the thread because this one was already posted.

Thanks a lot guys. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Jotmo-Ki #38468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JWPlatt wrote:
HenryMikel wrote:
Ovens 1, 2, and 3 are set to 19.5, 50, 50, Oven #4 is set to 19.5, 50, 19.5

When giving instructions like this, it is better to assume we do not know where to begin counting or in which direction. Please define ovens 1, 2, 3, and 4 for those who do not know.

Because, you know, some of us may be new explorers who don't know where to look for things like the League of Light :P
(I can't believe Brett didn't answer this!) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Hey, I didn't know where to find the LoL. And I still don't know the oven numbers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:54 am 

Oven #4 is the one connected to the undrainable mixer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:26 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Tesseract wrote:

Ok, that's a tad better than saying the restroom is next to the cafeteria. ;)

I found that the link Tai'lahr provided above has a handy, numbered map of the ovens. Perfect.

Because you will find yourself on the home page of a politcal website when you follow the link, I am compelled to issue this disclaimer: While I support and defend the philosophy of the LoL to challenge authority, I do not subscribe to its method because it withholds the rewards of Lighting the Cavern from the community as a means of demonstration against the DRC. While the DRC may deserve it, I feel we do not. The method I advocate is the one I used and apparent in the chatlog I posted to this thread - unrelenting, tenacious, challenging, polite and respectful dialog directly with the authority responsible for providing us with the information we need. The day after Laxman's visit to UruTapestry, we got a graph. Not great, as I've said, but it's a start. I believe persistence in this positive manner will result in a favorable solution sooner and in better faith than geting to the DRC by thwarting community efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:15 pm 

@Tai'lahr: By the time I read the request for oven locations, the OP had already edited his post to provide the necessary information, so it didn't occur to me to expand on that. Sorry. Thanks for the LoL link! ;)

@JWPlatt: I respect your position. However, allow me to bloviate for a bit.

First, "persistance" is really hard to achieve when Laxman's accessibility is limited to a few minutes -- generally less than half an hour -- per month. He can easily ignore what he doesn't want to hear, fend us off for another month with crud like the laughable "pellet analysis" chart or the recent "progress" graph, baffle us with nonsense and logical fallacies (such as the response that you received from him the other day), and generally stonewall until the questions are either forgotten or become moot because the deed is done (as with the GZ calibration). A more active form of protest, such as the method advocated by the LoL, can send the message 24x7, whether the DRC is available to us or not.

Second, the LoL is not really about the lake, as I'm sure you realize. It's about much broader issues of responsibility, accountability, and openness. (OOC, issues of context and feedback.) The long-term rewards to the community of changing the DRC's attitude and behavior are surely worth a small delay in the rewards of lighting the Cavern. We are adults, and we should be able to accept delayed gratification for a cause that is worthy enough. How much would it really hurt us if "many months" became "many months plus one"? Especially if the DRC learned to be more open and provide better feedback for future projects in which they wish to involve us.

The lake isn't even the most significant issue facing us right now. The Bahro war is far more urgent. The DRC has a number of leads that could take us to the knowledge that the D'ni had about the Bahro, perhaps leading to a defense that we could use, but they have not shared this information with us. Nor do they appear to be following these leads themselves. What right does a small group of people have to withhold information that could be crucial to the survival of the entire human race, not to mention the safety of my own tender pink hide? That is criminally irresponsible and monstrously arrogant. In the face of that, becoming petulant about a delay in lighting the lake seems pretty silly, and I think the community is above that.

OOC, it seems Cyan wants us to handle such things IC, making our desires for context and feedback part of the story rather than filing feature tickets. I felt this was a better way myself, which is why I formed the LoL. Nagging the DRC during their appearances is certainly helpful, but I have not encountered any of them in months, so that doesn't seem to be a workable strategy for me. It's also hard to have a real discussion of complex issues during the hurly-burly that accompanies their public appearances. I had hoped that the LoL could tweak the DRC where it hurts and perhaps stimulate them into seeking a good sit-down discussion.

But, doing so requires being able to show Cyan that a significant portion of the community is committed to seeing this happen. If LoL can't gather the support, then Cyan is certainly right to ignore the ploy. Individual nagging is fine, but it takes some kind of organization to demonstrate breadth of support. If the support for these desires actually exists out there, I hope someone can come up with an idea for marshalling it, since LoL's bite at the apple hasn't even nicked the skin. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
BrettM wrote:
@Tai'lahr: By the time I read the request for oven locations, the OP had already edited his post to provide the necessary information, so it didn't occur to me to expand on that. Sorry. Thanks for the LoL link! ;)

as if he'd look back up...

JWPlatt wrote:
Hey, I didn't know where to find the LoL. And I still don't know the oven numbers. :)

see?
JWPlatt wrote:
Tesseract wrote:

Ok, that's a tad better than saying the restroom is next to the cafeteria. ;)

Sheesh, JW, are you an explorer or not? Go to Er'cana, look around, and experiment! :P (Funny line, though!)

OMR, I think I'm becoming a forum troll. :shock: I blame the company I keep. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Thanks, Brett, for sharing your point of view. I was hoping you would respond. You might find encouragement in that the drop-off of interest (or net lake points) did get their attention or Laxman would not have been out there asking us to do better. One way or another, they should understand the need for useful, intelligent feedback by now, and we need to keep at them to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I have placed an IC message to Mr. Laxman about the stagnant pellet graph on the DRC Forums:

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=43566

Feel free to add your IC encouragement to Mr. Laxman and the DRC to give us the feedback we need to make this project a success.