It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:41 pm 

LaReh wrote:
09/13 00:06:01) Dr. Watson: the "good" bahro protecting us have created a grand deception for our peace of mind - an illusion that all is well here in the Cavern and the Ages.

I thought that this meant that the good Bahro were deceiving the bad into believing that all was well here and that their war need not come here, and in that way were protecting us from them.

Perhaps, but note he says for OUR peace of mind. I'm still not quite sure what he meant by this, though. The good Bahro are (for lack of a better description) carrying invisibility cloaks and covering the bad Bahro fights over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:01 pm 

Well, thinking or knowing, that the war may not come here can induce peace of mind, however self-deluding that may be. That might be the crux of the Watson warning, don't be deceived by the appearance of peace....war still rages unseen by our eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:52 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I understand it this way: „destruction“, embodied by the Bahro-threat, metaphorically stands for things like the inevitability of death, the existence of evil. “Deception” (through the Bahro-protection) means that we don’t/didn’t see this, namely that life, the world etc is fleeting, fragile, not safe, inexplicable, chaotic. Maybe the protective Bahro deceived us, because many of us can’t bear that well, or because they thought we couldn’t (I can deal fine :P ;) ). Maybe they aren’t deceiving us on purpose and it’s just a simple act out of pity or gratefulness, and the fact is just a veil, behind which lies a multiverse that is simple and scaringly infinitely complex at the same time.

I love the irony that Yeesha got relieved of her burden, through that opened a Pandora’s Box, and seems to have burdened herself anew, because of it.

While Watson’s theory that the Noloben(?) Bahro „experimented and played“ with Wheely before killing her makes sense to me, he did come to that conclusion pretty fast :S... I still wonder what kind of Cave with symbols she and Rosette found there and the significance of the (separate?) symbol on the floor above that and on the tree in Negilahn ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Jishin wrote:
I agree with the good Doctor that the guilds are very important. But I respectfully disagree that it is folly to restore the Cavern. The Cavern is where the Explorers reside while they are together. It is where we gather, where we play, where we collaborate. The Cavern is our "house". I would encourage us all to help make it our home.

I agree with everything you said about the importance of the cavern being home to the explorers, and it always will be our central gathering place.

I think that, OOC, Cyan is telling us they'd prefer to pour their limited resources into developing new ages instead of opening new areas of the cavern which may not serve any real purpose (i.e., contain no new puzzles). Also, the guilds will eventually allow the explorers to create new ages, so there are unlimited possibilities there, but only the DRC (Cyan) can make changes to the cavern, so they want us to shift our focus to creating new ages.

But, yes, the Cavern is our home, and we should continue to build our community there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:16 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I've heard loads of different opinions of Dr.Watsons speech in game now, some really like it, others seem to see it more as something OOCish or with plot holes, I have tried to approach those areas that are unclear to me more as mysteries or something unclear... and have posted my thoughts on the storyline, especially Watson's speech over at the DRC forum from the perspective of my playstyle (IC), it's become somewhat of a novel :oops: :lol: , well, maybe you are interested... but I am really interested in discussing Watson's speech, whether OOC (here) or IC (over there), maybe you see more aspects that are still open or can clear things up for me where I don't see...

Last edited by ireenquench on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.