It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you be willing to volunteer your services to keep this game going and make it the game you always wanted to play? Feel free to elaborate by responding to this post.
Yes 81%  81%  [ 145 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 179
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Indeed. I've always understood that in Uru, deadlines will come more often than they did for Riven. I've never expected Cyan to churn out even 1 Riven in Uru (even smaller in size). Riven is just the Ideal that I feel Cyan needs to try to emulate, in regards to the qualities I mentioned in my previous post. Uru thus far has hardly partook of those qualities at all, and that's what I feel is lacking, and what I feel would greatly benefit the storytelling predicament.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:58 pm 

silmefea wrote:
I have been onboard since the beta for this game. Back then I pointed out all the flaws in the game,

Woah, wait, which one?

Papa G's twin KI:
Papa G's Triplet KI:
About me: I specialize in the ages and music, but I know NOTHING about the storyline. I am just here for fun.
(I will put in a pic of all my stuff later.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 pm 

I completely get [email protected]'s Riven appeal and hope that Cyan can get the budget to get closer to that. Dream... dream... dream....

As far as the other comments.... about watching a recording of a live event or playing with an AI script.... in my opinion if I am playing a choose your own adventure game with an AI character then it's really no different than watching a prerecorded live event except I can choose a point in the recording to go to a different recording. That's what part of the appeal is to some ppl about live events. You get one chance.... then you have to wait for the next live event. That kinda puts consequences on things unlike AI's where you can go back several times until you choose the right thing at random.

The only thing that needs to be improved to the live event is a way to rewatch or at least reread what was said IN GAME. Plus ADD some of those AI interactions. Because, yah! it does suck when your always missing out on all the live events.

If it's about budget and I can only choose between more live events without replay OR AI events... well I'll have to go with the AI vote. As much as i like the idea of live events they really aren't doing me any good if I miss them. If i don't have time to be there in cavern to catch it, I sure don't have time to be in the forums reading up on them. During Season 1 I was getting frustrated spending more time catching up in the forums than i was in game. I finally just gave up on the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
If it's about budget and I can only choose between more live events without replay OR AI events... well I'll have to go with the AI vote.

But you can't interact with AI scripts... it's like watching a robot. It's no longer cool to be present for an event, because it doesn't matter if you are there. Live events make the world come more alive. And if you happen to be there, you feel involved in the game and you get a very personal experience. It's really special if you get to be there and be able to interact with the characters and talk to them as if they were real. The explorers can make differences with live events. With live events, explorers really matter.
It's of course a shame that many are missing those events, so I hope there will be much more live events. Then people will still miss events, but they will certainly be able to attend a lot of events, so that they still get to experience the feel of a real, breathing world.

Just my opinion of course. :)

Post subject: Can this game be saved?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 pm 

Well, I for one think that if Cyan does'nt start making real announcements soon, so many people will just lose interest and drift away....disappointed. Getting them back will be difficult.I'm sort of in limbo. I dont care for the multiplayer (need to have a helper) aspect. So far we have had a rehash of CC with the addition of one really good age (Mincata) and it looks like if is a second season we will have content involving the finishing of CC or call it POTS after then, what? and when?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 pm 

PapaG wrote:
silmefea wrote:
I have been onboard since the beta for this game. Back then I pointed out all the flaws in the game,

Woah, wait, which one?

The beta for THIS game, the current incarnation.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 pm 

Quote:
Indeed. I've always understood that in Uru, deadlines will come more often than they did for Riven. I've never expected Cyan to churn out even 1 Riven in Uru (even smaller in size). Riven is just the Ideal that I feel Cyan needs to try to emulate, in regards to the qualities I mentioned in my previous post. Uru thus far has hardly partook of those qualities at all, and that's what I feel is lacking, and what I feel would greatly benefit the storytelling predicament.

YES! you hit the nail on the head! The 'MAIN' culprit and evil black cloud that has followed
poor URU for so long, And that culprit is; MouL has lost its MOJO! :lol:
I mean it is lacking CYAN Magic

So my next question is this, Would EVERYONE be willing to wait this long ( 2 to 3 years )
for Cyan to make URU more like Riven ?

IMO I would like the episodes to stop and URU to go back to the orignal way things were done.
where you never knew when 'anything' would happen or when something new was added or changed,
until you logged in and started playing , you would knotice suttle changes or you will be told by one of your neighbors or another explorer about it etc. The main charactors where like you and I, they
came and went in the cavern and if you where online when a main event took place that was great!
but often I missed them but always was filled in later visiting bevins about what had happened.
( this was a main 'hook' for me because of it I was online line more trying to catch the main events
lol ) with the episodes this was elimanated as so was the real time emersive qualities too.
also before it actualy seemed like the DRC was actualy waorking and living down here with us
explorers and working on the cavern...

I'll stop beating the dead horse now.

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:33 pm 

VoiZod wrote:
Quote:

YES! you hit the nail on the head! The 'MAIN' culprit and evil black cloud that has followed
poor URU for so long, And that culprit is; MouL has lost its MOJO! :lol:
I mean it is lacking CYAN Magic

So my next question is this, Would EVERYONE be willing to wait this long ( 2 to 3 years )
for Cyan to make URU more like Riven ?

IMO I would like the episodes to stop and URU to go back to the orignal way things were done.
where you never knew when 'anything' would happen or when something new was added or changed,
until you logged in and started playing , you would knotice suttle changes or you will be told by one of your neighbors or another explorer about it etc. The main charactors where like you and I, they
came and went in the cavern and if you where online when a main event took place that was great!
but often I missed them but always was filled in later visiting bevins about what had happened.
( this was a main 'hook' for me because of it I was online line more trying to catch the main events
lol ) with the episodes this was elimanated as so was the real time emersive qualities too.
also before it actualy seemed like the DRC was actualy waorking and living down here with us
explorers and working on the cavern...

I'll stop beating the dead horse now.

Actually, while I too miss the surprise of not knowing when stuff was added, I think the episodic content also has a place in the game. I wish they would come up with a nice balance of both. I miss the immersive quality of the other Myst games.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

The only thing that stops me from playing is that I find it hard to figure out what is going on and where to find new content without searching everywhere. I don't log on very often so I feel pretty out of the loop, and because I am not on very often I find it hard to find people to complete multiplayer puzzles with. I hope they can find a way to make the game a little friendlier to casual and new players as I think that would help make the game more successful.

Having said that, this game is the reason that I have a Gametap subscription. There are other things I like about the service, but if they were to discontinue this game I probably wouldn't keep it. I really like the Myst franchise and there are a lot of things about Uru that were great when it first came out. Season 2 should be interesting because we won't see as much stuff that was previously released through the expansion for the original. Even though I don't log on often I love exploring the world and look forward to what is yet to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Fleet, welcome to the MOUL forums. I'm sure you are not alone in wondering what is going on during the episodes. Aside from trying to be in the cavern when stuff is happening, here are a few things that have helped me try to keep up.

1) Check the Cavern Today section of the Uru Obsession forum here:
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?s=9fd7801ed465763b18032a9d57b1e0dc&act=SF&f=56

They usually have a separate thread for each day in the episode, constantly editing the first post of each day's thread to keep us all updated. That works well for those of us at work when stuff is going on.

2) Add the DRC character's KI numbers to your buddy list. IMPORTANT - The DRC hesitated in allowing these KI numbers to be made available, worrying about people peppering them with PM's from other ages. I have most in my KI so I know when one is online. Then you can see where they are, unless it says Bevin, then you don't know which one. It might help you witness part of the story going on. Here's the thread where they were posted. I haven't looked to see if anybody has a handy list:
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9974&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

3) Drop by one of the more populated hoods (Guild of Greeters' Bevin or Beginner's Bevin) or the Watcher's Pub.

If you are in need of assistance with any of your ages, or with a Eder Delin run or Eder Tsogal run, I'd suggest starting with Guild of Greeters' Bevin. It might take 15-20 minutes, but whoever's there can usually help get the help you need. When I don't have much to do, I drop by the GoG hood to see if anybody needs a hand.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:01 am 

The real issue is Cyan, does not have enough capital to make this game what it should be, If this game was funded like some of the other well received MMO's, then the possibilities would be endless. They would be able to have a large department specifically for storytelling (a large one) and this would be what most people originally thought it would be (one kick-a** storyline except with multi-player environment) Money in this case, as in many others plays the major role folks. Uru has fallen very short in comparison to Cyans other engaging and emotional storylines. The other thing is, lets face it, URU is aging! Its been constantly tweeked and hammered from its inception in the late 90's to now 2008, eventually its gonna need a facelift or perish.

The reason for people quiting and moving on?

Easy, when one sees or hears about URU, they then join and expect a pretty polished experiance. Not many people want to pay to be apart of a game that is constantly "work-in-progress." You will always have a nitch group of hardcores, don't get me wrong, but to get more capital to further and expand the game, you have to appeal to people who expect to come right into a game thats rearin' and ready to go. Not drop em' like flies. It will never suceed with just its nitch core obsessive crowd, it has to atract and KEEP new people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 pm 

So at this point, how do we get the game to where we can still play after it is dropped by GT? Any of our tech savvy folks have a useable game plan?

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the guild of maintainers and writers are working on something.

I hope that during the next 60 days Cyan will be working on the code changes needed to turn Uru into a stand-alone game similar to Oblivion. As far as I can tell, there are only two parts of Ahnonay that need recoding and they already have a handle on that from the old CC days. Of the new ages, I think that if they eliminate the Eder puzzles and leave the ages themselves as rewards or increase the timers significantly they may work for solo players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:24 pm 

Texana wrote:
I think the guild of maintainers and writers are working on something.

I hope that during the next 60 days Cyan will be working on the code changes needed to turn Uru into a stand-alone game similar to Oblivion. As far as I can tell, there are only two parts of Ahnonay that need recoding and they already have a handle on that from the old CC days. Of the new ages, I think that if they eliminate the Eder puzzles and leave the ages themselves as rewards or increase the timers significantly they may work for solo players.

Or they could let us run the game as is and let us write new content and such. Under their guidance, of course. The problem would be servers, I suppose.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Yep, that is a problem, along with bandwidth costs.

I loved the old free-wheeling days of UU, but there are a lot of people who don't want that again. Personally I am opposed to the way it became a closed system with a few people contolling the actions of the rest for "their own good." I either want Cyan to run it since its their creation or let it be open like the first days of UU when anyone could run a shard and pretty much create their own world. Freedom is a good thing :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next