It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm 

I got this and it is absolutely fabulous!! and i deleted it once just so I could rate it! ! lol
cool app and thanks for thinking of it!!

AKA Miranna
Ki 57800

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

chucker wrote:
I do have an iPhone, and Marein pointed this out to me. Sounds fantastic; can't wait to see an update for MOULa. :)

Chucker, if someone as generally well-informed as you didn’t notice this up to now, I must have seriously under-advertised it. ;)

Ja'run wrote:
how is the recalibration coming along?

It’s coming along nicely. I have observed 11 portals so far, and the preliminary result is that [spoiler]the built-in calibration is about 12 minutes and 31 seconds late.[/spoiler]
I’ll continue my observations, and I hope next weekend or the one after I’ll have time to release an updated version. For the iPhone version, add a week or two for Apple’s review process.

Susa'n wrote:
I went through Negilahn portal today and it was timed perfectly. Did you access the most recent website (release6) http://www.uru-reallife.com/dnidatetime/release6/map.html?

This website is operated by Mucol and The.Modificator and is completely independent of the iPhone app made by me. It’s accurate because it has already been updated for MOULagain, unlike my iPhone app.

MustardJeep wrote:
The recal feature is a definant must have, after two years and some odd months I missed the Tetsnot portal because the Ipod Pod clock is a bit off.

You can’t say you haven’t been warned! :) I won’t make the updated version accurate to the second either, that would completely spoil the fun of improving it with your own calibration.

Silverlight wrote:
I got this and it is absolutely fabulous!! and i deleted it once just so I could rate it! ! lol

:?: Why did you have to delete it to rate it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Silverlight wrote:

:?: Why did you have to delete it to rate it?

When you delete an app from your iPhone/iPod touch, it asks you to rate the app. I thought about doing the same thing, but, well, I didn't want to lose my recal data!

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, that’s new to me. I guess I haven’t deleted any apps since upgrading to OS 3, so I never noticed.

The usual way of rating an app you bought would be to use the App Store, either on the device or in iTunes – no need to delete the app for that.

And by the way, you can backup and restore your calibration data using the web interface, that’s one of the reasons why it exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 am 

I've been trying this out, and when I click Live Calibration, it says to press now when the portal appears, but the named portal is not the right one. I just did Payiferen, and saved a calibration, but the Live Calibration still says Payiferen, when the next portal would be Tetsonot.

KI# 00107498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Live Calibration assumes that your calibration is reasonably good already, it just picks the closest expected portal to the current time.

If that’s not what it did for you, then we have a functional bug. If that’s what it did but you expected something different, then we have a usability bug. Either way, I’m not completely clear yet on what exactly you did and expected, so here are a few questions, if you don’t mind.

If I understand you correctly, you tapped the Live Calibration button again right away after using Live Calibration to record a Payiferen portal, a few seconds or minutes after the portal, and expected it to show Tetsonot then, even though the Tetsonot portal was still a few hours away? If so, what was your motivation for doing that? Were you planning to leave the Live Calibration dialog open for the whole time until the Tetsonot portal? Am I understanding you correctly that you would expect the Live Calibration to latch onto the next portal as soon as you have used it for one portal, no matter how far away it is? One problem I see with that is that if you accidentally tapped the Now button too early, you couldn’t use Live Calibration again for the same portal until you went to the calibration point list and deleted the erroneous point, which you may not have enough time for if the portal is imminent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've just downloaded the application... it works very well and it looks great too! :D
Thanks for your work on it. :)

When Uru launched, D'ni technology like the KI seemed ahead of our technology. But with gadgets like the iPod touch / iPhone, it seems like we're catching up. :lol: Having an iPod along the journey helps almost as much as the KI does.
Now if only someone could configure the Nexus to recognise iPods as well... Perhaps we will have iPhone dispensers in Gahreesen in the future? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here’s the latest from the recalibration front. A quick graph of all my observations from MOUL and MOULa:
[spoiler=Click to reveal image.]Image[/spoiler]
Two conclusions to draw from this:
  1. The 12.5 minutes shift with respect to MOUL is real and far outside of the measurement error.
  2. The times in MOULa have been jumping all over the place recently, reliable predictions are impossible at this point (the pink regression line is only through the points before 2010-02-17). The updated release will have to wait until I can get more data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:08 am 

Just wanted to give you a HUGE thanks for making this.
Have been sitting within that pod for ages waiting, to no luck.
Now I have the app on my desktop and iphone :D

Cheers

The Book of Ziana: - A fan based Myst novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
The times in MOULa have been jumping all over the place recently, reliable predictions are impossible

If I remember correctly back to MOUL, when these Ages were first released, the simultaneous triggering of a portal in all the individual instances of the Age nearly brought the servers to their knees. To ease this load on the servers, Cyan put a slight time jigger on the Age internal clock to vary the portal times in each instance. Successful portal users would then link to the cave spawning yet another instance further stressing the servers (causing a large number of people to be lost in the Dark Age or to crash out). I seem to recall it could take up to 8 minutes for everyone's portal to appear. If I'm not misremebering this (a distinct possibility), that might account for the variances you are seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:26 am 

I think that is right on. I see that in hood chat. Some see it, then others, then others until it appears to all within a couple of minutes at the most.

I've been calibrating my iPod Touch over the past couple of weeks and Dereno is the only one that is messed up for me from a live calibration standpoint. Even though Dereno is next in line on the time line, and even though it has not yet appeared within the pod (like for 20 minutes out), the calibration button is wanting to calibrate Payiferen. The blue sparkly icon seems to be right on on the on-screen time line. I was able to watch that just now and the pod appearance was right as the sparkly crossed the time line. Just an FYI. Once the others have been calibrated, the appearances have then come again at the right time according to the program in the iPod.

Bravo. This thing is a thing of beauty. Very fun to play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

Any chance for an Android port? :)

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:
To ease this load on the servers, Cyan put a slight time jigger on the Age internal clock to vary the portal times in each instance. […] I seem to recall it could take up to 8 minutes for everyone's portal to appear. If I'm not misremebering this (a distinct possibility), that might account for the variances you are seeing.

That is possible, but my data from MOUL seems to suggest otherwise. As you can see from the graph, the times I observed in my own instances of the pods are very steady and the small variation can probably be completely explained by measurement error (I was only observing to whole seconds, before I had the iPhone app), network latency, engine timing granularity, or the like. However, I have not examined whether different people’s instances are offset relative to each other. That could be an interesting research project for the future. (As mtn'man notes, I sometimes have that impression from hood chat too.)

mtn'man wrote:
I've been calibrating my iPod Touch over the past couple of weeks and Dereno is the only one that is messed up for me from a live calibration standpoint. Even though Dereno is next in line on the time line, and even though it has not yet appeared within the pod (like for 20 minutes out), the calibration button is wanting to calibrate Payiferen. The blue sparkly icon seems to be right on on the on-screen time line. I was able to watch that just now and the pod appearance was right as the sparkly crossed the time line. Just an FYI. Once the others have been calibrated, the appearances have then come again at the right time according to the program in the iPod.

OK, we may have a bug there after all. Could you send me your calibration file (download it off the iPod using the web interface) so I can see if I can reproduce it?

I have some ideas on how to improve the combining of built-in estimates and observations when you only have a few observations (too few to base everything on observations). Will hopefully try them next weekend.

A helpful thing to know when examining such issues could be this: Don’t look at the sparks to tell where the predictions fall, look at the text. The sparks together with the four background ribbons are one fixed image that is aligned at the prediction for Negilahn. The time/countdown text on the other hand is centered on the actual predictions for the individual pods. If your calibration is such that the relative position of the predictions is significantly different from what I thought it should be when I made the image, the two things will go out of alignment. (The app in general does not cope well with arbitrary calibrations that differ substantially from reality, or my imagination of it.)

Kenguin wrote:
Any chance for an Android port?

Not by me, at this time. :) I am happy with my iPhone and have no plans to start development on an additional mobile platform. But if someone else wants to do it, we can talk…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 pm 

When I was able to actually see the Age data, I confirmed that the internal game clock for each Age instance was inconsistent across the pods. The displayed value for the Age clock varied instance to instance compared to real time.

And I do remember a Cyanist, whether in an informal chat online or in a post on the forum, saying that this adjustment was made to reduce the number of player crashes when trying to go thru the portals. It seems to me that this may have been done after Payiferen was released and before Tetsonot but I would have to dig through a lot of old material to be sure. My interval between Negilahn, Dereno, and Payiferen was dead on for months but I could never get a good timing for Tetsonot. My MOUL data for the first 3 pods is still accurate but Tetsonot was off by 9mins and change. I am still trying to get a good timing for Tetsonot (at least the theoretical offset from Payiferen). I also have estimated portal times for every pod listed on the map but those are unverified since we can't get to them. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought that the pods were released as two pairs, with Payiferen and Tetsonot released together as the second.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next