It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm 

one of the things I need to check on...

March 1, 2007 - Negilahn
March 15, 2007 - Dereno
March 29, 2007 - Map of pod age
April 5, 2007 - Payiferen
April 19, 2007 - Tetsonot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:
When I was able to actually see the Age data, I confirmed that the internal game clock for each Age instance was inconsistent across the pods. The displayed value for the Age clock varied instance to instance compared to real time.

Great – but since I’m doing this as an IC researcher, not as an OOC Plasma hacker, information obtained from examination of game files doesn’t count. I only believe experimental evidence! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Release of the updated version is imminent. Meanwhile, here is the current state of my research:

[spoiler=Click to reveal graph]Image[/spoiler]
The linear model remains insufficient for predictions better than about 10 seconds. However, some odd patterns are starting to emerge. It seems like the day length irregularly alternates between 56586.0 ± 0.1 s (ascending slope of the zigzag line) and 56577 ± 1 s (descending slope). (Horizontal corresponds to the assumed day length of 56584.831 s, exactly 13 pahrtavotee.)

Anyone else seeing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:41 pm 

For some reason the clock is 13 minutes slow. Any idea why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 am 

beautiful... I wish this was made for normal phones too... >.< I want it on my samsung solstice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:45 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
johnsojc wrote:
When I was able to actually see the Age data, I confirmed that the internal game clock for each Age instance was inconsistent across the pods. The displayed value for the Age clock varied instance to instance compared to real time.

Great – but since I’m doing this as an IC researcher, not as an OOC Plasma hacker, information obtained from examination of game files doesn’t count. I only believe experimental evidence! :)

I never thought of hacking the Plasma since it was not necessary but thanks for the accusation.

IC-wise, Why would you assume that another planet rotates "exactly" 13 D'ni pahrvatotee? Even on Earth the day does not come out an even number of seconds and varies in length throughout the year. Your assumption is flawed. The best length of time you can get for any day on any planet is an average. Try adding that into your calculations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rel'een wrote:
For some reason the clock is 13 minutes slow. Any idea why?

Because the built-in estimates of version 1.0 are based on observations from MOUL two years ago and apparently are no longer valid. Version 1.1 with updated estimates is in review at Apple and should hopefully be available within a few days.

johnsojc wrote:
I never thought of hacking the Plasma since it was not necessary but thanks for the accusation.

I wasn’t referring to you with the term “hacker”, but to myself. And calling someone a hacker is an honor, not an accusation. I’m sorry if that’s what it came across as – that wasn’t the intention. :( I tend to forget that different people have different ideas about what the word “hacker” means.

However, now I’m confused about your expression “when I was able to actually see the Age data”. If you meant IC empirical research data, then I misunderstood and apologize for the confusion. (And would love to see that data too!) On the other hand, if you meant OOC game file data, as I understood it, then that does fall under “Plasma hacking” in my book. Which, again, is not a bad thing – it’s just not what this topic is about.

johnsojc wrote:
IC-wise, Why would you assume that another planet rotates "exactly" 13 D'ni pahrvatotee? Even on Earth the day does not come out an even number of seconds and varies in length throughout the year. Your assumption is flawed. The best length of time you can get for any day on any planet is an average. Try adding that into your calculations.

The reason to assume that the planet rotates in approximately 13 pahrtavotee is the map in the museum (and that it generally agrees well with the empirical data), and I agree that it must be a huge coincidence that the period is so close to a whole multiple of a D’ni time unit. There is no reason to assume that the planet rotates in exactly 13 pahrtavotee, and I think you misunderstood my statement “assumed day length of […] exactly 13 pahrtavotee” in that regard. That number is arbitrary, I could just as well have chosen an “assumed day length of exactly 12.9 pahrtavotee” for the horizontal slope in the graph. That would have skewed the graph a little, but would not have had any effect on the numbers read from it.

Determining the average day length and understanding and predicting the variations around it is actually what I’m trying to do. So far without success (on the latter part), but I’m hoping that gathering more data will help with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 pm 

Once upon a time, the game used to make log files for each Age. This was discontinued to reduce lag around Episode 8. The data I read was in those log files so I never had to touch the game files at all. The reason for the variations you are seeing can be inferred from those log files. However, since you are trying to figure this out only from an IC perspective, you are probably going to have to come up with some plausible IC explanation.
One suggestion (which actually parallels the OOC situation) revolves around the fact that IC, if two people go to a pod, they are not in the same place but in parallel universes that are almost identical. If they are chatting via KI, they may discover the portals do not appear at the same time. There is really no way to tell if you return to the exact same pod you peviously took data in unless you park yourself in one and never leave through many portal appearances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, thanks, that explains the confusion – I count the log files under “game files”.

As to the IC explanation, I think I’ll just be happy once I have a reliable IC description of the situation and stop the ICness at that point. :) I’m not that much of an IC player after all…

Good point about the uncertainty about returning to the same pod. However, the obvious (and boring) outcome to expect in that case would be a completely random distribution, not the patterns I’m seeing, so there is still something to research. Whether the patterns are caused by alternate universes or by actual variations in the day length in a single universe is not even my primary concern at this time, I just want to be able to predict them.

Leaving an avatar parked in a pod for several days… I might actually do that some time now that I have a spare account. :idea: I wonder if the persistent sparks in Payiferen would add up. I could even imagine that the game is programmed in such a way that I would only see a portal on the first day, but that would be a bit disappointing and hard to explain IC…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Accurate OOC pod data follows, only read if you want to be spoiled
[spoiler]
Negilahn base time: 1/1/2000 0:00:00 PST
Dereno base time: 1/1/2000 1:14:25 PST
Payiferen base time: 1/1/2000 1:48:05 PST
Tetsonot base time: 1/1/2000 4:33:29 PST
Day length: 56585.0016 seconds
Portal time: 6394 seconds into the day
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alright, slight complication (that’s why it took so long):

Apple rejects the update and wants me to rename the application because they think the word “pod” infringes on their trademarks. That seems a bit ridiculous to me, but it’s their App Store, they get to make the rules.

So, a new name is needed. It’s hard to think of a name that conveys the purpose of the app as clearly and succinctly without using the word “pod” – so why not translate it to D’ni? Zik Clock.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
so why not translate it to D’ni? Zik Clock.
Sounds good to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ooh, I forgot about that clause. Translated sounds good though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 pm 

Why settle for halfway? Call it Zik Gorahyan. Or Gorahyan Zik? I'm afraid D'ni grammar still eludes me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought about that. I believe the proper composition would be Gorahyanzik, but I’d have to ask the linguists to be sure. The problem is that doing away with all English words makes it completely incomprehensible to those who don’t understand D’ni (I’d rather settle for halfway incomprehensible). (Plus I thought it would be too long, but actually it barely fits.) Gorahyan is a bit of a bulky word, but the combination does roll off the tongue a bit more easily than the juxtaposed k sounds in Zik Clock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next