It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this...I've done it so many times in so many different builds.
Is anybody else having trouble swimming to the tower?
I've tried SO MANY different angles after jumping off the 2nd little island trying to fight against the current.
I must have forgot how to do this....ugh....

any ideas?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 am 

Make sure you are swimming the crawl stroke (caps lock on as if you were running). The stroke used as if you were walking just won't get you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi Indiginous,

This is what I found that worked -[spoiler] on the last rock, go to the very edge and turn to the right until you see the texture on the ocean line up in parallel lines. It's about half-way between the two back-drop city thingies. That's your direction line. Do a running jump into the water, and fast-swim the whole way, tweaking your direction when you need to to stay lined up.
[/spoiler]
I couldn't get there by any other method.

I've also heard that [spoiler]linking out convinces that pesky last quab to come over to the main island[/spoiler] - so it might be worth a try.

===
MOULa KI: 458107

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am 
Obduction Backer

thanks! I always leave the caps locks on while in URU - so I don't think that is the problem - I'll try these out.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 am 

I try to swim a bit with the current instead of against or straight across. I slowly turn to the right and use the current to help me along. Ocassionally I almost swim behind the tower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

katreeny wrote:
Hi Indiginous,

This is what I found that worked -[spoiler] on the last rock, go to the very edge and turn to the right until you see the texture on the ocean line up in parallel lines. It's about half-way between the two back-drop city thingies. That's your direction line. Do a running jump into the water, and fast-swim the whole way, tweaking your direction when you need to to stay lined up.
[/spoiler]
I couldn't get there by any other method.

I've also heard that [spoiler]linking out convinces that pesky last quab to come over to the main island[/spoiler] - so it might be worth a try.

Hey katreeny, that worked great for me!
Thanks a ton!

Indy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 am 

katreeny wrote:

This has happened to me on numerous occasions offline, which was quite handy because I could skip the whole swim-against-the-current schtick in favor of the linking dance.

I find it's best to run/jump off the second rock, keep breaststroking perpendicular to the current (just aim for the horizon), maybe turning ever so slightly towards the tower (but not so I can see it). The current takes me straight there every time I've tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 am 

also if you miss the island, instead of going around the whole island and down the water fall.

[spoiler]
If you swim right up against the island where the current is slower, you can swim against the current [/spoiler]

and get back on the island sooner to try again

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

There are texture plates in the water at about 30 degrees. I swim aligned with those for most of the carry, then turn more rightwards nearer the tower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm 

You don't actually have to swim to the tower to beat Ahnonay and you can get to the tower through [spoiler]journey cloths, and then shut the current off so you can swim elsewhere.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

That's only going to work if there is no defiant quab standing on the tower island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
That's only going to work if there is no defiant quab standing on the tower island.

Link out and in again, and the squab will often have moved to the mainland.

Being able to swim to the tower while the current is on seems like a glitch. I didn't even know it was possible to do that until this thread. I assume that the "intended" solution is to use the cloths and the rotation of the spheres to link to the tower. OTOH, it's possible that a squab ending up on the tower island is also a glitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 pm 

You cannot rotate while there are any quabs left on land. That's a fact. There has always been on quab out on the tower and you can either swim or hope he moves to the main island if you leave and return. There is an optimum path to swim, all you have to do is figure out what that best path is. This is a puzzle and you need to figure it out. This part of Ahnonay is not that hard but it does take a bit of perseverence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 am 

I've always taken a running leap off the furthest of those tiny "button" islands and just sit there swimming towards the distant islands for a while before starting to turn towards the tower.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:43 am 

this thread was interesting to re read as i am redoing the ages and once again hit this wall i have always hated this so called puzzle that is much harder than it should be. the angle has to be exactly right to get to the island. and unless you hit on it by chance there are no clues as to how to do it. IT therefore is NOT a puzzle but a test ....and a nasty one at that.

still love this age..just wish there had been better design on this one. I am sure it bugged a lot of people.

hello to all and yes i am still here and URU still Lives!!! in the authentic and original form. ) not a bot in sight and no pranks or stunts needed for a great Journey.

"We Build Worlds"