It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm 

Your thread is nonsense and you can't handle being called out on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
And, the D'ni language is nonsense until you understand it.

manloc has simply brought some information here that may or may not be seeds planted by Cyan in hopes that others will look at it with him to see if there's anything there to discover. He cannot explain the basis for the numbers because they're not based on fact, but simply offered as a starting point to begin the discussion. Perhaps there are other numbers more valid to apply or perhaps there are no numbers to apply. It's simply a discussion and there's no need to call it nonsense.

You're lucky you weren't around when Er'cana was released and the pellets and lake algae were discussed to death. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm 

Bogardan Mage wrote:
Alien, I have no doubt that there exists a pod 3 somewhere, but the fact remains that it's not in the game. If it was then I could see this actually leading somewhere but without it's just "Look at some basic multiplication".

Hence why I used [in cavern mode] tags, to try to show I was explaining it from an 'in-cavern' point of view ... I don't do that very often, and normally stick to OOC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks to:

• Alien
  • Tai'lahr
  • Charura
  • chrissifniotis
  • HarveyMidnight
  • Ainia

To others:
I tryed to find something by myself.
I "found" something and I wanted to share it.
Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm right.
Now, if you understand me, it's nice ; if you don't... It's also nice.
I'll not eat the cake for you to have it in your stomac...
If you want it in your stomac, eat it by yourself.
Are you puzzles players or aren't you !?
I have no pleasure to look a "cross-words grid" while it's complete...
My pleasure is to complete it by myself, and I hope the pleasure is the same for the others puzzles players.

To everybody:
This topic is at its end for me...
I'm sorry for this topic's friends, but I leave it.

.shorah

/?t - "jukebox"

Last edited by TheScar(.fr) on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

The map in the Museum shows 9 additional pods, none marked as '3'. However, there is one additional pod we know of, in another age (Todelmer). I'm skeptical about the numerology, actually... but Jalak might be on same planet :)

The columns look more interesting to me, as they seem older than the rest of the structure. Maybe a wealthy D'ni, owner of the Jalak book, found these columns (maybe in a temple of a native, possibly extinct, culture) and used them to build an extravagant version of a D'ni game?

Some photos of the sides:
Image Image Image Image

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 am 

Something interesting about the pillars; none of the pictographs on all four sides of a pillar repeat on any other side. Has anyone tried to interpret them?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
And, the D'ni language is nonsense until you understand it.

manloc has simply brought some information here that may or may not be seeds planted by Cyan in hopes that others will look at it with him to see if there's anything there to discover. He cannot explain the basis for the numbers because they're not based on fact, but simply offered as a starting point to begin the discussion. Perhaps there are other numbers more valid to apply or perhaps there are no numbers to apply. It's simply a discussion and there's no need to call it nonsense.

You're lucky you weren't around when Er'cana was released and the pellets and lake algae were discussed to death. :wink:

It's very difficult to understand someone who takes a legitimate and innocent question as a personal insult. If there is no answer then saying "I've already answered that" is just wrong. I'd have accepted "I don't know, I started this thread to find out" but instead he took an unreasonably defensive position and demanded I leave for daring to ask for further clarification on his theory. Maybe this is a language barrier, but I would also have accepted "I don't understand you".

It's an interesting theory that might have gone far had its originator only allowed it to.

Alien wrote:
Bogardan Mage wrote:
Alien, I have no doubt that there exists a pod 3 somewhere, but the fact remains that it's not in the game. If it was then I could see this actually leading somewhere but without it's just "Look at some basic multiplication".

Hence why I used [in cavern mode] tags, to try to show I was explaining it from an 'in-cavern' point of view ... I don't do that very often, and normally stick to OOC

For "the game" read "known areas", I guess? Frankly I'm not sure what you see as the distinction between in-cavern and out-of-cavern in this case, it doesn't change my position that Pod #3 almost certainly exists somewhere, but that as it's completely unknown deriving a number 3 doesn't really lead us anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 am 

Bogardan Mage wrote:
For "the game" read "known areas", I guess? Frankly I'm not sure what you see as the distinction between in-cavern and out-of-cavern in this case, it doesn't change my position that Pod #3 almost certainly exists somewhere, but that as it's completely unknown deriving a number 3 doesn't really lead us anywhere.

OK, I'll explain the difference between IC and OOC

IC "In Character" "In Cavern" is to take a point of view from your avatar's position as if you really are your avatar.
OOC "Out Of Character" "Out Of Cavern" is to take a point of view acknowledging that this is just a game and not real.

So my IC reply was:
Alien wrote:
[In Cavern Mode] There is no Pod 3 on the map we have, but that map does indicate more landmass that is not visible, so the missing pod numbers are on some other landmass, but we don't have the map for that.[/In Cavern Mode}

And my OOC reply would be:
There is no Pod 3 on the map because Cyan maybe didn't see a need for a second map with pods we won't get to visit. The fact that there are numbers missing on that map suggests a Pod would exist if Cyan had wanted to create it.

Do you see the difference now?
If you don't see the difference, well, frankly, I'm not spending anymore time trying to explain it to you. You can look it up for yourself without me having to explain it to you.

EDIT: The ironic thing is, we actually agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
Bogardan Mage wrote:

OK, I'll explain the difference between IC and OOC

IC "In Character" "In Cavern" is to take a point of view from your avatar's position as if you really are your avatar.
OOC "Out Of Character" "Out Of Cavern" is to take a point of view acknowledging that this is just a game and not real.

So my IC reply was:
Alien wrote:
[In Cavern Mode] There is no Pod 3 on the map we have, but that map does indicate more landmass that is not visible, so the missing pod numbers are on some other landmass, but we don't have the map for that.[/In Cavern Mode}

And my OOC reply would be:
There is no Pod 3 on the map because Cyan maybe didn't see a need for a second map with pods we won't get to visit. The fact that there are numbers missing on that map suggests a Pod would exist if Cyan had wanted to create it.

Do you see the difference now?
If you don't see the difference, well, frankly, I'm not spending anymore time trying to explain it to you. You can look it up for yourself without me having to explain it to you.

EDIT: The ironic thing is, we actually agree.

Sorry, am I coming off as hostile? I really don't mean to and I apologise if I do, but you're the second person in this thread to interpret what I thought was a legitimate question as some kind of provocation.

Please read the following without assuming any intended insult: Both your IC and OOC replies can be summarised as "The map does not show the entire age" and, as far as I can tell, the additions of IC or OOC elements are not essential to this point. This is why I was confused by your appeal to IC, especially since you said you don't normally do that. I was worried I might have missed something, I was not attempting to waste your time with vexatious questions about the general meaning of IC and OOC. I don't ask questions unless I genuinely want to know the answers.