It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 am 
Obduction Backer

edit (Will that thread title work better?)

Are there any soothsayers out there skilled in understanding the Pythian* words issuing from the Sages of Cyan? **

During the interview Rand was asked-

"Some questions I have that I haven't found answers to (though that may be because they don't WANT to answer)
Were the DRC histories about the kings created before/after/during the "physical" creation of Ae'gura and the other ages and how much did they worry about integrating the two? "

This is what he answered-

"Well the DRC histories were just translations from the D'ni so those were obviously way way after the actual D'ni writings of the descriptions of the kings."

Should I take that as simply they (since RAWA was there with him) just felt like being mysterious, that they didn't feel like discussing the complicated situation when the notebooks were being put in, or they don't want to say that no, they didn't really manage to integrate the two?

We can go on, as we do all the time, insisting on making sense of the nonsensical just for the fun of it, but it would be pleasant to know when we're doing that and when we are actually figuring something out. I'm not sure why that is but somehow it just seems like it would be nice to know. Maybe just the chance to declare "AHA! We were RIGHT!" occasionally? /Ventris shrugs her shoulders.

*No pun originally intended but happily noted afterwards.

**The Sages of Cyan - that sounds cool, can someone work that into a story or age for me? Otherwise I might try to use it in normal conversation then people will lock me in my relto.

Last edited by ventris on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah ventris,

My take is that Rand answered a slightly different question than the one intended by the person who submitted the question, probably because Rand interpreted it and answered as an IC (D'ni history) question rather than an OOC (game development) question.

You can try firing off a RAWA flare and see if he's willing to answer it OOC-ly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:39 am 

Wait, does RAWA actually regularly read the forums?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am 
He does sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I agree with Ainia: he simply misunderstood the intention of your question and answered it as IC instead of OOC.

If you want to get RAWA's attention, you might try changing the name of this thread to something like, "RAWA, Please Clarify Rand's Answer." Maybe someone at Cyan will see and point him towards it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

(How about that for a thread title to get RAWA's attention? I warned you I might try to work that phrase in)

I don't know about misinterpreting. Rand said that he and RAWA had gone over our questions beforehand and all the other questions I had around that one were pretty clearly OOC. Besides, I'm not sure how a question about integrating the DRC notebooks into the "physical" creation of Ae'gura and the ages could be IC. I suppose if it DID catch him flat footed then maybe. Perhaps I should have squawked louder at the time? I assumed he just didn't want to answer then and I didn't want to be pushy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Yes! Excellent title for a RAWA signal! :)

ventris wrote:
Were the DRC histories about the kings created before/after/during the "physical" creation of Ae'gura and the other ages and how much did they worry about integrating the two?
Perhaps it was because you used the word "they" instead of "you" or "Cyan" or the artists/developers, etc. and "they" was misinterpreted as being the D'ni. Try this:
Quote:
Did Cyan write the histories of the kings before/during/after the creation of Ae'gura and the other ages?
And, how concerned were you about integrating the two?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

What! RAWA posted to discuss the details of CAVCON again but no response to my humble supplication? Would it help if I made it an even simpler question?
Yes or No?
Did the developer(s) writing the notebooks on the kings and the developers creating Ae'gura work together closely enough that we can use the notebooks to help identify buildings we see on Ae'gura?

Or was I right in the first place and this is not a topic they care to discuss?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah ventris,

My take on RAWA's response (i.e., the lack thereof) is that this likely is one of the mysteries we need to work out for ourselves*. So perhaps you have stumbled upon one of the unexplored/unstudied mysteries still lurking for us in Uru...

[*RAWA doesn't do spoilers, so I'm guessing that any answer from him would be spoiler-ish by nature]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

But we've been SO good, we swear! Couldn't he just spoil us a Little?