It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:36 pm 

Now that Cyan is moving forward with Obduction and leaving behind all things Myst (at least for the time being), I'd like to know if there are some tidbits of information from interviews/fan conventions/etc. that clear up or at least explain the whole affair with the Bahro a bit more.

The one thing I never understood about the Bahro is how the people of D'ni actually enslaved them and for what reason. Sure we see some cells in Teledahn and paintings in Eder Kemo but it's never really explained what they did for the D'ni that makes Yeesha so furious.
Given the presentation of their power in Myst V I think it's clear what they are capable of but are there any examples of what they did or were used for (with the help of that golden tablet)?
Maybe that's tied to how they were "imprisoned" in ABM with the pillar thing going on, another thing I never really got.
I think technically ABM happens before Myst V, so some Bahro are set free but there are not really free, because they are still bound to that golden tablet that is somehow situated in K'veer and other places.

The first thing to do after finally beeing freed is to split in two factions and wage war against each other and all D'ni- and humankind of course. Is there another reason given expect the whole revenge agenda?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah ShardofTruth,

Some very good questions about the Bahro (and ones which have been perplexing explorers for quite a while now).

So far as I have been able to find, we have no authoritative answers thus far, only the hints and clues from our own interactions with them, the records from Watson's quest (Myst V) and the opinion we have heard from Yeesha (plus the occasional commentary from RAWA). Different explorers have varying thoughts about how much weight to allow for each information source (e.g. How accurate is the version of Watson's quest that we see? Was the tablet a literal reality or a construct used by Cyan to depict Watson's experiences in game form? How much do we trust Yeesha's version of events, since she's skewed information in the past in order to get us to do what she wants?).

From a more OOC perspective, I suspect Cyan had a whole storyline and history about the Bahro already mapped out, which they had begun implementing in the MOUL days with their monthly live events. But because of other events, the storyline was left at a cliffhanger event, the cavern closed and we have been left to make sense of things on our own. It's anyone's guess if Cyan will ever resume this story, though RAWA has said repeatedly that they have more Uru stories to tell.

Dunno if the above helps or not...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm 

It definitely helps, now I know I didn't miss anything substantial. :D
And yes, taking in consideration we're talking about different levels of canon here, doesn't make things any easier. It's still a bit frustrating that we still only know so little about the Bahro when the story basically spun around them in the last games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again ShardofTruth,

Yes, I find it frustrating as well... however, there quite likely is some research to be done about the Bahro if you feel so inclined. Over the summer, I got a decent start on testing slate symbols with the Bahro (though other projects have sidelined this for a while). It was definitely looking like they understand *way* more than was demonstrated on the surface via Watson's quest. You can read my notes about this . These records also reside at the new ; I haven't been keeping an eye on things there lately, so don't know if anyone else has been researching this particular topic in the meanwhile.

This is definitely more of a research project than an exploration project. But I am hoping that by making inroads on decoding the Bahro language, it will eventually help us to understand more about them as a culture, and perhaps even help us to infer some of their history as well.

OOCly, it appears that Cyan had programmed far more into End of Ages than the bits we used in retracing Watson's quest. Which I find both fascinating and challenging! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:47 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 pm