It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Marten,

Thanks for chiming in! I hadn't read or heard that bit of information before. The apparent conundrum makes much more sense knowing all this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan's client uses code contributed by fans under the GPLv3. Cyan's entire client is therefore infected with the GPLv3. If Cyan were to rewrite or sneak back in the code that RAD Game Tools said to remove, they would have to make it public under the GPLv3 or they would be breaking their own license. It would cost money to to the former (and infuriate fan developers such as myself) and doing the latter would mean RAD could sue Cyan.

Replacement code so that we have intro videos has been on the backurner for some time. When the RAD issue popped up, we prioritized adding WebM video support to the client. Unfortunately, developer frustration (with WebM itself and Google) has prevented this from happening. In other words, it's a real pain in the donk. Maybe it will get done eventually.

Hope this helps. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Do we have any graffiti artists? Maybe someone can go in and spray paint "Hit Escape" on the wall. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

Is this something that can be replaced by a journal while they find time to figure out a solution?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

/ME WONDERS IF CYAN CARES ANYMORE... And yes, that was intentional :-(

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

Even if THEY don't WE still do, if Uru is to survive what seems like the neglect of its creators
be it for business reasons or other wise its up to the fan.
Its the fans that will keep the Caverns open even if Cyan Can not

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I "apologize" to everyone for my outburst in my previous post.. I realize Cyan has a lot of things on their plate at the present time and not enough utensils to clean it up. Howver, it would be nice to see 'something' in the form of a response to what is transpiring on this end [Moul(a)] just for those of us that are enthusiastic about the longevity of this re-incarnation as well as the up-and-coming future of Obduction..

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:54 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't know about anyone else, but the very existence of MOULa indicates to me that Cyan *does* care. I don't know of any other games company that still hosts a gameworld that was a commercial failure in two previous incarnations. We, as fans, may boggle at this but the it is inescapable that Uru/MOUL did not attract enough subscribers to succeed in the conditions that applied at the times. What it did do was generate a small but passionate fan community that has been able to resurrect and keep alive the game by its own efforts, with Cyan's help and approval.

Reading the history of the project, Uru was Cyan's next big thing, and they were bitterly disappointed at its commercial failure. I think that there is still a strong feeling for Uru within Cyan, tempered by the need to remain commercially viable, which is a complicated juggling act at any time.

I was too late to join the Ubisoft incarnation and did not hear of the Gametap revival, probably because I wasn't looking for it, and so played Uru standalone on and off for ten years or so. To discover the existence of MOULa just a year ago was astonishing, and I devoured the new-to-me content like a child let loose in a sweetshop and (of course) wanted more. But in the process I have made new friends and joined a global community, one that ignores conventional boundaries - my adopted neighbourhood has members from across the world, drawn together by a shared enthusiasm and approach to both the game and wider concerns: which, I am convinced, is one of the things that Rand and Cyan were hoping to engender as a side-effect of building this big shared world. In this sense, Uru is a success, both for surviving and for creating the communities that it has.

Myst broke new ground and created a new strain of gaming, a new branch of the tree. Riven took that up a whole order of magnitude. Uru tried to make another big step-change. That it survives is, I think, unique, and is a result of enthusiasm and commitment from both the fan community (that's us :) ) and Cyan: neither could have succeeded in this alone.

Dear me, I'm banging on like a stuck record. What I'm trying to say is, every day we wake up and MOUL is still there is a gift, and we should not take it for granted. It is in our own hands to ensure the continuation of that gift.

To address the initial question: yes, the missing intro video does lead to confusion. A minimum-cost temporary fix may be to put a simple text message on screen over the background, explaining how to get out of the seeming dead end. Such a fix is beyond my programming skills (which ossified a while ago) so I can only hope that others can help to implement it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Then why not work out a way for Cyan to fix it, Adam, instead of moaning about how little they seem to care? It seems obvious to me that Cyan does not have anyone they can put to work on the issue. Is this not what OpenUru and H'uru are for?

tumblr:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:46 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 am 
Obduction Backer

My apologies Adam, I got a little carried away. As my previous posts on the forum may indicate, I'm thick and slow at the best of times, and this is not the best of times for me. Upthread you said : -

"Replacement code so that we have intro videos has been on the backurner for some time. When the RAD issue popped up, we prioritized adding WebM video support to the client. Unfortunately, developer frustration (with WebM itself and Google) has prevented this from happening. In other words, it's a real pain in the donk. Maybe it will get done eventually."

I understand that to mean a replacement of the original, moving-image, functionality, not a simple informative notice, which is what I suggested, so I'm confused.

Later you said

"This bug does not exist in either open source repositories (OU and H'uru). It was introduced by some kind of phailure at Cyan. Therefore, it is incumbent upon Cyan to fix their error."

Now I'm really confused. What bug is this?

and

"I said that our code works 100%."

Do you mean this code?

"Replacement code so that we have intro videos has been on the backurner for some time. When the RAD issue popped up, we prioritized adding WebM video support to the client. Unfortunately, developer frustration (with WebM itself and Google) has prevented this from happening."

I understand that to be code that is still in development... Obviously I am missing something here, can you help me out?

If I had to guess, it would be that the removal of the video has lead to the game sticking at the intro and not dropping the player by the gate. So unless a new player knows to hit escape they are stuck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 am 
Obduction Backer