It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

This whole topic is interesting to look through and ponder..TY Tai'lahr for sharing these links :-)

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Tai'lahr, great stuff! :D I find the John Loftin connection most remarkable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Great stuff, indeed, Erik, and invaluable information for all explorers old and new, which might not be easily retrieved, if at all, in such a comprehensive and compact format ... :P

Thank you, Tai'lahr, for digging into one of your immeasurable treasure chests and sharing the gems with all of us and thus preserving them for posterity ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 am 

Very interesting Tai'lahr! Very.... Wanna write an article about it for the ?

We have a (local) proverb, "dig where you stand". That meaning, do your research close at hand
and you will find your "own" history. Or understand where you came from...

I'm no expert in native (indian) cultures but my guess, as why New Mexico that there is so much
and so vast cultural heritage to get inspired by. Legends, myths, art and such. So easy access
(or relative easy) could be one reason. The Carlsbad Caves another good reason. The geologic
structure of the area is another.

(And... as this is no Sillywood Movie, URU was, at least in my mind, very meticulously researched
and drafted so the different basic elements of the history or back story, geologic settings, scenarios
and such are very much believable!)

When I did my I did find some image on the "real" Jeff Zandi (looking very
much the same!). But I can't remember where. But I don't think "John Loftin" is a coincidence.
A bit like "James Bond" for Ian Fleming. The man fitted the bill, and was apparently there, all
over the place for ages.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 am 

Thank you, Tai'lahr, for this. This is a very fascinating post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Awww, thanks, everyone. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope it will inspire others to do a little research on their own.

Re: the John Loftin connection: Sorry to disappoint everyone, but IIRC, it's been discounted as being anything more than just a coincidence. (There are actually many coincidences at Cyan, most notably .) But, if it's true that one of the reasons for the Cleft being in New Mexico is the Hopi legends, then there's a good chance someone at Cyan saw the name while doing research and it got lodged in their subconscious and resurfaced when naming the character who discovered the cavern.

@Janaba: Is my OCD evident? :wink: Yes, it surfaced and forced me to clean out part of the "treasure chest" (bookmarks & notes) so it wouldn't interfere with a current project.

@Max: I'm flattered, but my intention was simply to unload the information I'd collected to get it out of the way of my current project and hope others might pursue it. You are more than welcome to use any or all of the collection to write something yourself. Here's your opening line, "Tai'lahr recently posed a challenge to the community..." and Copy & Paste and edit to tidy up a bit. :wink:

Max, if there's any way you can track down the links you had to Jeff Zandi, I think it would be a very nice addition to the above collection. (It's very frustrating to not have access to the DRC site right now.) It might be helpful to know when he met the Miller brothers and if he ever lived in New Mexico himself.

I believe a major key would be to find out the time period that the Millers lived in Albuquerque. What ages they were and how long they lived there. There's a good chance they learned about the Native American culture in school and/or developed an interest in it on their own while living there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 pm 

@Tai'lahr... Can't remember where I found the references, but it might been on MYSTlore
(now deleted?) but a simple Google search on "jeff zandi" gave for example

I think this is the right one (for inspiration). A gamer, and as it seems, a genuinely nice chap.
(not sure he's ever worn the Hawaii-shirt though)

How and when he knew the Millers, you should forward that question to the Mysterium Crew
as they will have Rand & Robyn for a Q&A on next Saturday.