It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yeesha Question ....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 pm 

Posting this in the spoilers section just in case ....

The last time you meet Yeesha, she's a hologram ... in Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, which MOULa is based on, she was real, or not a hologram. Why the change? why make her a hologram in MOULa?

If no-one here can answer it, could someone please ask Rand for me at Mysterium?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Yeesha Question ....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I believe she appears as a hologram in MOUL because she needs her message to reach everyone who comes to the cleft and she can't possibly be there 24/7 to greet them. She appears to be real in Uru: ABM because she's only dealing with one person. IC, Uru: ABM is just a game and MOUL is real.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
I believe she appears as a hologram in MOUL because she needs her message to reach everyone who comes to the cleft and she can't possibly be there 24/7 to greet them.

That's my thinking.. except to leave rrom for both to be 'real'; Uru: ABM is only happening to one person, a modern day 'stranger' ... .whereas MOULa is happening to ALL of the commuity of people who are being called to the entrance to D'ni.

The thinking, I presume, is that Yeesha came in person to see a lone stranger who found his/her way to the Cleft, but left a recording for ALL of the various people being 'called' to it over the years & who then undertake the 'quest' she's laid out for all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 am 

Tai'lahr's answer is very good, and I can't find fault with it ... but there's a tiny little bit of me that still wants to know what Rand would say, and give a more OOC explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Alien wrote:
The last time you meet Yeesha, she's a hologram
Actually, the last time Yeesha appeared in MOUL in K'veer on November 5, 2007 as part of the storyline, she was live and the speech she gave was real time in text. You can see the whole event in Leighana's video.

We were given the impression that she had been away from the cavern, dealing with the bahro situation and was leaving again for the same reason. Thus, the hologram in the cleft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeesha appeared as a person, rather than a hologram, in both offline Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and online Uru Live (2003-2004). So the explanation of her being there for one person, versus for many persons, doesn't really work for me. But something Tai'lahr added in her follow-up message is (in my opinion) the right answer.

As Tai'lahr mentions, at the beginning of Myst Online: Uru Live (2007-2008), the explorers were invited back down into the cavern once more but there was no sign of Yeesha. She remained absent even as other figures from Uru Live gradually returned, including Phil Henderson and Dr. Watson. There was an explorer event where many gathered in hopes of "summoning" Yeesha, and a hologram version of Yeesha did briefly appear... but the physical Yeesha only returned to the Cavern in November '07 to tell the explorers of the great Bahro War that was upon us. To maintain consistency with this story arc in which Yeesha was away for many months, trying to prevent the War, Yeesha could not be physical in the reward scene for completing the original Prologue Ages (return to Cleft).

As you might expect, most outside of Cyan (including myself) did not understood why the change had been made until the end of "Season 1", but in hindsight, it made sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten nailed it.

The events of Uru: ABM and it's expansion packs are still things that "happened", they didn't get relegated to "just a game" status. Remember, there was a time when ABM flowed directly into Uru Live.

The reason Yeesha got hologram'd is just because she was too busy doing other things to come personally visit every explorer that finished the journey. It always bothered me that they didn't run some sort of modulation on her voice after replacing her with holo-Yeesha, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 am 

First: Hi vid, long time no see, glad to see you're still around!

Second: Just adding my two cents. When the Gametap Uru went live, we all noticed the switch to holo-Yeesha and there was a LOT of talk about this. Both Cyan and the official in-game characters refused to comment on the change, but the in-game characters did acknowledge that no one had seen Yeesha in a long time. So the holo-Yeesha wasn't just in preparation for the end of Season 1; it also created an air of mystery and desperation. Events in the story built to become more and more exciting and threatening, and everyone kept asking where Yeesha was and why she hadn't appeared. Phil Henderson, when he returned, told us that she was with the bahro, IIRC, but that was the only real news that we got about her. So when she finally DID appear in person, to rescue us from what we thought of as the "evil" bahro, it was a Big Freaking Deal.

Bottom Line: the switch to holo-Yeesha was made in order to make the real Yeesha mysteriously disappear from our lives, IMHO. Then, after Season 1 ended, it made sense for the holo-Yeesha to continue because real Yeesha ran off to lead the bad bahro away from us, temporarily saving us from their wrath.