It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Susa'n and Chiro
Did you use the Nexus or a link command to get to thoes "Neighborhood"s?

Ps: I may use the HoI more than others but it is not my hood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:56 pm 

Stone. wrote:
@Susa'n and Chiro
Did you use the Nexus or a link command to get to thoes "Neighborhood"s?

Ps: I may use the HoI more than others but it is not my hood.
Stone, thanks for clarifying that the HOI is not your hood. I'm sorry for the mistake.

I don't remember whether the "Neighborhood" folder in my KI was created by Nexus link or by bot link while bot was in HOI. I deleted this folder and will experiment with it during tonight's Cavern Tour and let you know.

But I do know when I look at my Buddies list during Friday night Cavern Tours, the majority of tourists show as being in "Neighborhood" with the other few showing as being in "Hood" when they are in HOI.

EDITED TO ADD INFO AFTER TOUR: Stone, when I linked to you while you were in HOI, a KI folder named "Neighborhood" appeared on my KI. I deleted that folder, and when I linked to HOI via Nexus, I was in "Hood" instead of "Neighborhood." Hope that helps.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

Last edited by Susa'n on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Why do people argue that Ae'gura isn't part of the city? It clearly is part of the city even though it isn't directly connected to the majority of the rest of the city. Yeesha even refers to the entirety of D'ni as "the deep city" in her opening speech.

But even if you want to think of D'ni as not being just one big city, why would there be a rule against there being more than one city? Like "neighborhood", "city" is a rather generic word. Ae'gura is often THE city to us simply because it's the only one we can get to.

Doesn't it go against the very definition of "city" to argue that Ae'gura doesn't count??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Because one would end up specifying anyway:

—Where are the Neighborhoods?
—In the City.
—The City-City or the City-Ae’gura?

Ae’gura was the upper-class area, so it’s not only spatially but also socially separated.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Note that Ae'gura can be called "The City" while the 'main' city on the wall of the cavern can be called "The City Proper".

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

The reason why I don't call Ae'gura "the city" is because the D'ni didn't call it that. Both in the Book of Ti'ana and in the in-game texts, it's called "the Island". An example is the message written on the Ferry Terminal, King's Arch, canyon mall, and the Library. rebantano tAnEen SemtE (rebantano tānēen shemtē) means "The Island welcomes you".

For that matter, why don't you call K'veer "the city"? Because that isn't its name, any more than it's the name of the island of Katha. We don't call the neighborhoods "the city" because they have names too -- Kirel, Seret, and Bevin.

Same goes for everywhere else; the Er'cana Silo is not in the City; it's in a side cavern in a district called Ash'emen, and there are other districts and caverns which all have names. There is only one place that is called "the City" -- the large metropolis in the cavern wall surrounding the D'ni zero meridian.

You can refer to the entire cavern complex as the D'ni city too, but only in the general sense, the way people speak of the megalopolises of New York, Los Angeles, St. Louis, etcetera and include all of the other towns and cities that touch on them. I grew up in Los Angeles -- and never lived in Los Angeles. I lived in cities surrounded by Los Angeles like Glendale and Burbank, which are completely separate from Los Angeles, with their own governments and civil services. Saying that they are the same as LA is very much untrue, even though you can't tell the difference in a satellite photograph.

Cyan created a blanket category called "the city" in the Nexus to dump all of the general cavern locations into. Ever since, people have been misusing the term. I just refuse to be one of them.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Congratulations for having the most useless argument I've heard all week. And I teach at a public high school.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Useless? Not at all. No one is seriously trying to convince anyone of anything here. It's a debate for the fun of it, and having fun isn't useless. It's about the only truly valid reason for doing much of anything.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
larryf58 wrote:
The reason why I don't call Ae'gura "the city" is because the D'ni didn't call it that. Both in the Book of Ti'ana and in the in-game texts, it's called "the Island". An example is the message written on the Ferry Terminal, King's Arch, canyon mall, and the Library. rebantano tAnEen SemtE (rebantano tānēen shemtē) means "The Island welcomes you".

For that matter, why don't you call K'veer "the city"? Because that isn't its name, any more than it's the name of the island of Katha. We don't call the neighborhoods "the city" because they have names too -- Kirel, Seret, and Bevin.

Same goes for everywhere else; the Er'cana Silo is not in the City; it's in a side cavern in a district called Ash'emen, and there are other districts and caverns which all have names. There is only one place that is called "the City" -- the large metropolis in the cavern wall surrounding the D'ni zero meridian.

You can refer to the entire cavern complex as the D'ni city too, but only in the general sense, the way people speak of the megalopolises of New York, Los Angeles, St. Louis, etcetera and include all of the other towns and cities that touch on them. I grew up in Los Angeles -- and never lived in Los Angeles. I lived in cities surrounded by Los Angeles like Glendale and Burbank, which are completely separate from Los Angeles, with their own governments and civil services. Saying that they are the same as LA is very much untrue, even though you can't tell the difference in a satellite photograph.

Cyan created a blanket category called "the city" in the Nexus to dump all of the general cavern locations into. Ever since, people have been misusing the term. I just refuse to be one of them.

I think comic Kathy Griffin once said, "Los Angeles isn't a city, it's a lot of little towns looking for a city." (Having never been west of Chicago, I'll have to take her word for it.)

Misnomer or not, we've been calling Ae'gura "The City" for as long as I can remember, and it seems to have stuck.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
I think comic Kathy Griffin once said, "Los Angeles isn't a city, it's a lot of little towns looking for a city." (Having never been west of Chicago, I'll have to take her word for it.)

LOL. I wouldn't. There's a reason we don't hire stand-up comedians to conduct land surveys or plan cities.

Yes, Kathy Griffin, there really is an honest-to-God City of Los Angeles. I've spent more than enough time wandering around its major shopping districts to know that for certain.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:12 pm 

I appreciate the above debate/discussion regarding the city. Very interesting!

When I refer to Ae'gura island, I tend to use the misnomer "city" because it's easier to type and everyone understands what I mean. :P But I have no problem believing its proper name is Ae'gura island.

On April 15, 2016, at 22:00 KI time, shokhootahn Rehn (KI # 80428) will begin his series of D'ni 101 language lessons in Guild of Instructors' Hood. I hope to be able to read "the island welcomes you" after these lessons. Thanks, Larry, for pointing that out.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, I typed this before I noticed the last post was March 7 not April 7, but if you care:

I had felt like the community's use of the word "city" was like this: "D'ni" is the name of the empire as a whole, which then has more than one city. One of which being "Ae'gura". Then the more residential areas would just be referred to as "neighborhoods", which seem kind of like gated communities since they are so isolated.

Why don't we also call K'veer a city? Isn't it essentially a mansion on a much smaller island? While Ae'gura is like... the capital of D'ni right? Palace, kings' arch, guild hall, etc.

Yeesha even refers to D'ni in its entirety as a city... ("have you heard of the deep city?") and it kind of makes sense since "city" really is pretty vague. I guess in that case even K'veer and Hoods are part of the city. Explaining why it could technically be OK to have K'veer and Kirel in the City Links section. Though it wouldn't be very practical for us to use that word to call every last part of D'ni "the city".

Does it even matter what the D'ni called it when we are using English words as descriptions? It's sort of like how "The Watcher's Pub" is just an English description, but can't be what the D'ni called it. (Hence the lack of a "D'ni-" prefix I guess) Ae'gura still fits OUR general English definition of a city, right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I guess you could compare Ae’gura vs the City vs the Cavern to Manhattan vs New York City vs NY metropolitan area. The D’ni Empire comprises all the Ages under D’ni control.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ehren wrote:
I had felt like the community's use of the word "city" was like this: "D'ni" is the name of the empire as a whole, which then has more than one city. One of which being "Ae'gura". Then the more residential areas would just be referred to as "neighborhoods", which seem kind of like gated communities since they are so isolated.

D'ni is a blanket term. It's the name of the people, the empire, the Age, the main cavern, and the city.

Your guess is not too far off the reality. However, instead of being divided up into cities, D'ni is divided into districts, each of which have their own name. There are different kinds of districts. There are residential, industrial, entertainment, and recreational districts, and probably more types I don't know about.

Ae'gura, which was simply referred to as the Island, is the navigational, spiritual, and political center of D'ni, although it's not the physical center. I tend to explain it as "downtown". It was also divided into districts, each of which had a name. We don't know what the area we are allowed to walk around is called. However, when you go to the Watcher's Pub, you are in an Island district called J'taeri.

What we call "hoods" are residential neighborhoods, which are distinct and separate but not quite large enough to be called a district.

Quote:
Why don't we also call K'veer a city? Isn't it essentially a mansion on a much smaller island? While Ae'gura is like... the capital of D'ni right? Palace, kings' arch, guild hall, etc.

Yes, K'veer is a medium sized, privately owned island. We call it a mansion, but it's more like an estate. The primary residence is part of a more elaborate construction. And yes, the Island is the government district of D'ni, but you can't think of it as a capital; it's not the only place they had important government and religious buildings. There were many in the City as well. Instead, it's better to think of the parts of the Island we can see as the main administrative district. Most of the business of running D'ni was done there. The entire city is the capital of the D'ni Empire.

Quote:
Yeesha even refers to D'ni in its entirety as a city... ("have you heard of the deep city?") and it kind of makes sense since "city" really is pretty vague. I guess in that case even K'veer and Hoods are part of the city. Explaining why it could technically be OK to have K'veer and Kirel in the City Links section. Though it wouldn't be very practical for us to use that word to call every last part of D'ni "the city".

Except that it is. The D'ni city can be thought of as being two parts; there's the "old city", which the DRC sometimes called the "city proper" and which is the section built into the cavern wall north of the Island. It was the first area settled by the original settlers from Garternay. But they ran out of living space in that niche in the cavern wall very quickly, and also needed areas for manufacturing, processing, and so on. Because of that, the City was continuously expanded throughout the entire time D'ni existed, and they were still actively doing so when the end came.

So as well as the "old city", you had a megalopolis that expanded out from it over the course of 9,000-plus years. It was still just one city, but it was always growing larger.

Quote:
Does it even matter what the D'ni called it when we are using English words as descriptions? It's sort of like how "The Watcher's Pub" is just an English description, but can't be what the D'ni called it. (Hence the lack of a "D'ni-" prefix I guess) Ae'gura still fits OUR general English definition of a city, right?

Yes, it matters what the D'ni called things, since half the point of being there is to learn about them.

No, Ae'gura Island isn't a city by our definitions. It doesn't have half the things that go into making up a city. Even the shopping would have been very limited, and we have not yet seen anything like a grocery market on it. It was pretty much a one-trick pony; it has facilities to run the government and a few residential districts. If you were to cut it off from anything other than food, there's no provision for businesses to produce things like clothing, household goods, any of the other necessities, or any luxuries.

It has a few linking book libraries, a few shops we know nothing about, and a few entertainment attractions we have also never seen. And that's it.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:42 pm 

According to a old fan by the name of Ken Danby the best way to get around in the deep city...

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Btw, the link is mine. :lol: