It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

LOL. I hope that bus can either link or float, since there are no tunnels or bridges to the Island. If it can't link or float, it'll sink and bloat. ^_^

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Quote:
Though it wouldn't be very practical for us to use that word to call every last part of D'ni "the city".

Except that it is.

All I meant is that "city" it too vague a term if you are trying to refer to somewhere specific in the city. Otherwise you could be searching for your friend somewhere in the city all day.

larryf58 wrote:
Quote:
Does it even matter what the D'ni called it when we are using English words as descriptions? It's sort of like how "The Watcher's Pub" is just an English description, but can't be what the D'ni called it. (Hence the lack of a "D'ni-" prefix I guess) Ae'gura still fits OUR general English definition of a city, right?

Yes, it matters what the D'ni called things, since half the point of being there is to learn about them.

Whoa! That's not what I meant. I meant it doesn't matter what the D'ni called places in relation to us describing what we see/learn with English words. A city still counts as a city even if the people who once lived there called it something else in their own language. I guess I'm just trying to say that D'ni names don't alter English word definitions. (I have to admit I still don't feel like I'm phrasing this particular point very well...)

But I don't mean to imply the D'ni names are unimportant in general, and I'm still wondering what "The Watcher's Pub" would have been called.[/quote]

larryf58 wrote:
No, Ae'gura Island isn't a city by our definitions. It doesn't have half the things that go into making up a city. Even the shopping would have been very limited, and we have not yet seen anything like a grocery market on it. It was pretty much a one-trick pony; it has facilities to run the government and a few residential districts. If you were to cut it off from anything other than food, there's no provision for businesses to produce things like clothing, household goods, any of the other necessities, or any luxuries.

It has a few linking book libraries, a few shops we know nothing about, and a few entertainment attractions we have also never seen. And that's it.

Okay, I guess the key problem here is that you use a much stricter definition of "city" than I do. I suppose we just have to agree to disagree on this word.

Ae'gura just has too many impressive/important buildings that I can't help but feel it counts as a small city even by itself. That's also taking into account that there are a lot of areas there we haven't seen in detail, mostly up higher I think. Though, perhaps I've also overestimated the amount of unseen parts there are in Ae'gura. Mostly because of the high amounts of barricades and gates we can't get past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ehren wrote:
All I meant is that "city" it too vague a term if you are trying to refer to somewhere specific in the city. Otherwise you could be searching for your friend somewhere in the city all day.

Fair enough. But I did mention that the city is divided up into districts, each of which has a name. We know many of them, although we can't get to most. For example, the residential neighborhoods have names, although we don't use them. The style with the tree-hand lamp covers is based on a neighborhood called Bevin, and the style with the bee lamp covers is based on a neighborhood called Seret. Kirel, of course, is the one and only district that we call by its proper name.

Quote:
Okay, I guess the key problem here is that you use a much stricter definition of "city" than I do. I suppose we just have to agree to disagree on this word.

Ae'gura just has too many impressive/important buildings that I can't help but feel it counts as a small city even by itself. That's also taking into account that there are a lot of areas there we haven't seen in detail, mostly up higher I think. Though, perhaps I've also overestimated the amount of unseen parts there are in Ae'gura. Mostly because of the high amounts of barricades and gates we can't get past.

Ah, but we do have a vague idea what lies in those places. Cyan had intended to show them, and worked up models back in the early days of planning. The parts we can't get to are all residential districts. You can envision them as much larger versions of the residential neighborhoods, and you won't be far off.

Here are pictures of the early model, before they decided to include a closed-off harbor.
http://www.florestica.com/hpotd/city/Ae'gura/clay-aegura1.jpg
http://www.florestica.com/hpotd/city/Ae'gura/clay-aegura2.jpg

The residential districts seen above the Guild Hall are J'taeri on the left, and Jaren and Ishah on the right. The residential district by the inlet near the Great Library is Kerath'en, the district that housed lower-class workers who were employed on the Island.

What is a city? I'm more or less defining a city as a large collection of people with infrastructure to live, work, and obtain all of the essentials and luxuries they are able to afford. A city provides services such as education, utilities, shopping, food distribution, and entertainment. The Island lacks some of those services, and its residents would have to travel elsewhere to obtain them. At best, I'd call it a town. If I were being more pessimistic, I'd call it a village. As near as can be told, all of their food, clothing, furniture and educational needs where obtained elsewhere in the city, and the goods had to be brought in on boats.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni