It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Please reveal spoiler to read the manual, if you intend to vote. Is the door run manual a good idea?
Poll ended at Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 am
Yes, I wish I had one of these ages ago! 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
It seems useful. 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
I don't need it. 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Not good. Yeesha thinks you're damaging the mystery! 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
What's a door run? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Door Run Manual
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 am 

Shorah fellow age explorers!

This is my first post. I probably should have introduced myself, on the forums, in a different thread but I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. (not the age explorer a.k.a. Stone. He is much too heavy to throw)

After a few years of exploring and many many door runs, I thought I'd put together an ingame manual. As I have no experience writing manuals, I thought it best to seek opinions from other age explorers, to evaluate it's readability, also to get some feedback on any improvements or indeed wether it's a good idea at all.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Door Run Manual
1. EXPLANATION

In the two garden ages (Eder Delin and Eder Tsogal) there is a mysterious door. This door is opened by pressing seven cloths (found in each of these ages), in the correct sequence. The sequence is determined by pressing the center symbol on the door. Once the symbol has been pressed, it will light up, with varying amounts of the symbol highlighted, seven times (once for each of the cloths). For instance: a completely illuminated symbol represents the number seven. The best way to complete this age is with eight Players, one to identify & call the numbers & seven to each be stationed at one of the cloths.

NOTE: Players actually needing to go through the door should station themselves at the cloths closest to the door or be the door caller themselves. Any players NOT needing the door should station themselves at cloths farthest away.

2. PROCEDURE

# All Players enable autoshout. Do this by typing /autoshout into chat
# Position yourselves at the cloths determined by your needs
# Door Caller should ask if everyone has their cloth
# Caller then asks each Player in turn (by name) to press their cloth
# When a Player has pressed, Caller will determine the number
# When number is identified, Caller announces it in chat
# Player repeats number back to Caller, to confirm
# Caller repeats the process, until all numbers (1 > 7) are assigned
# Caller requests a "Roll Call" to confirm numbers
# All Players reply to Caller with their assigned numbers
# Caller asks for silence & begins to obtain the sequence
# Caller opens chat & types in numbers, as they appear on the door
# When sequence is complete, Caller hits enter to send sequence into chat, for all players to see
# Caller immediately enters first number in sequence into chat
# Player with that number presses their cloth. (only press once, unless your avatar shows no sign of action)
# Caller waits for a small dot to light on door and enters next number
# When all dots are lit the door should open
# Run through door & keep running until you link out!

Please bear in mind, I have completely used up the character limit for Ki mails. Improvements or ammendments that you recommend should consider this limitation. Thanks for your time and consideration :)

EDIT1:
I decided to merge my updated posts into my initial post, to make it easier to view them all.

This is the updated and ammended version of my walkthrough. There will be others methods to follow. I'm currently working on the marker game hints for the garden ages.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Door Run Walkthrough"
Door Run Walkthrough [SPOILER ALERT]
ATTENTION!!! THIS IS NOT THE ONLY METHOD. THE DOOR CALLER SHOULD DECIDE THE METHOD!

1. EXPLANATION

In the two garden ages (Eder Delin and Eder Tsogal) there is a mysterious door. This door is opened by pressing seven cloths (found in each of these ages), in the correct sequence. The sequence is determined by pressing the center symbol on the door. Once the symbol has been pressed, it will light up, with varying amounts of the symbol highlighted, seven times (once for each of the cloths). For instance: a completely illuminated symbol represents the number seven.

NOTE: Players needing to go through the door should station themselves at the cloths closest to the door or be the door caller themselves. Any players NOT needing the door should station themselves at cloths farthest away.

2. PROCEDURE

# All Players enable autoshout. Do this by typing /autoshout into chat
# Position yourselves at the cloths determined by your needs
# Door Caller should ask if everyone has their cloth
# Caller then asks each Player in turn (by name) to press their cloth
# When a Player has pressed, Caller will determine the number
# When number is identified, Caller announces it in chat
# Player repeats number back to Caller, to confirm
# Caller repeats the process, until all numbers (1 > 7) are assigned
# Caller requests a "Roll Call" to confirm numbers
# All Players reply to Caller with their assigned numbers
# Caller asks for silence & begins to obtain the sequence
# Caller opens chat & types in numbers, as they appear on the door
# When sequence is complete, Caller hits enter to send sequence into chat, for all players to see
# Caller immediately enters first number in sequence into chat
# Player with that number presses their cloth. (only press once, unless your avatar shows no sign of action)
# Caller waits for a small dot to light on door and enters next number
# When all dots are lit the door should open
# Run through door & keep running until you link out
# Once inside the cave, remember to touch the symbol on the wall.

EDIT2:
This is my first attempt at a peom style hint for the Garden ages. Any feedback is appreciated.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Garden Ages Guide

Two paths lie ahead yet only one will reveal

examine and explore the symbol and the seal

touch all I implore keep your eyes on the door

time is not yours it yearns for some more

unity is your strength and that is foresworn

Come to the city when you're ready for the call

I'm still working on the marker game hints. I'll update here, at some point.

Last edited by SmilingOne on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Door Run Manual
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:03 am 

Generally spoken a good idea. But I'd still say it's up to every individual caller how it's done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Looks like a nice summary, especially for those who wish to become a Caller.
I never use the autoshout, and I often skip the Roll Call if I trust the crew :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:25 am 

Thanks for the input debeh. Perhaps I should try to include something to that effect. I don't know how it's coming accross. I don't mean it to be the only way to do it. I've had to limit the words, in order to make it fit into one KI mail.

kororvev, thanks. I included the autoshout to avoid people missing text, if there's a lot of players there. I agree, the roll call isn't always neccessary. It's always callers discretion. Ulitimately the whole process is callers discretion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 am 

Hi Smiling one,
Of course you should do a door run manual. The more people there are doing stuff like that to help, the better for all.

If you want some reference of how it's been explained by other people (so you can take notes and maybe explain it better), here's what is on the imager of the Door Runner's Hood (a hood dedicated to door runs)

Also is this page on the Guild Of Sleepers website http://www.guildofsleepers.org/door-runs-explained.html which tries to explain door runs.

Lastly I'd say, there is no substitute for doing them. You can read all the material you want, but it can't replace first hand experience.
You'd be very welcome to join the Door Runner's Hood, if you wanted to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just a thought. You might want to tell the new player what to do in the Bahro Cave when they get there. Several times new players have gone into the bahro cave and really done nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Alien wrote:
The more people there are doing stuff like that to help, the better for all.
Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:56 pm 

Hi Alien. Thanks for the encouragement, perspective and resources. I notice the door runners guide is rather succinct but lacks instructions for the caller. I expect it's written this way in order to fit into the viewer and be a general guide for new players needing the door. The Guild of Sleepers resource is impressive. I like the use of actual in game images for the door symbol. Learning to call can be tricky. I've noticed some people have difficulty with 4,5 & 6, which is understandable, given that it can be somewhat daunting and we all have different eyes.

Westar, thanks. I had completely overlooked that fact.

Tai'lahr, thankyou for the encouragement.

I will rewrite what I have so far, to include Westars suggestion. Also I may even drop the introduction altogether. Any thoughts on that? On reflection, I think the name needs to be changed as well. Door Run Manual is too official sounding and may give the impression that it's the only way to do it. How about Door Run Instructions or Door Run Guide? I could even prefix my name to the title, to show it's only my perspective. I'd rather not do that though, as I'm not looking for fame or infamy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:15 pm 

It's a good manual, but please add somewhere that all this procedure that we tend to complete in a rush is supposed to be a puzzle and not some automated sequence.
This is no fun for a new player to be given instructions and orders, and I'm speaking (again) from experience. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Door Run Walkthrough, then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Guild of Greeters' Walkthroughs for Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl. They're full of spoilers right off the bat, though. I don't know if there's a hints guide for the garden ages anywhere, but that would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm 

Thanks adi. I was hoping to get a counter perspective that addressed the overall experience of the two ages. :)
I must admit, my patience can wear thin when things don't run smoothly in a door run. However, I do remember having lots of laughs, when I first did the ages and it did take considerably longer than the standard five minutes, that experienced explorers tend to take. I will consider writing a separate guide more geared towards the mystery of game. Somewhat akin to a hints guide. Perhaps even a puzzle in it's own right.

Korovev, yes, that does seem a more accurate title, thanks.

Thanks Tai'lahr. I didn't really know where I wanted to go with this before I started. It now seems clear to me, that there are reasons to have both a walkthrough and hints guide. I expect, that if I do go ahead with a hints guide it will take a lot longer than the walkthrough, which was fairly brisk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps a hint guide could be made with a markers game, structured like the UHS guides.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 am 

I have seen a new player try to figure out Eder Tsogal all on their own, and even though lots of us were there, we were not allowed to spoil anything. The new player could not work it out without major hints, bordering on spoilers.

So while I agree that the information out there, and the way door runs are done is definitely spoilers, but when a new player realises they need to do that age, it's impractical to not spoil it and let them figure it out.

Tai'lahr, while I do accept that everyone refers to the Guild Of Greeters site out of habit, it's not the best site out there*, and if SmilingOne wants to write a better guide, I fully support that.

*= I am biased because I put together the Guild Of Sleepers site.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I did this puzzle with only two other people. :3
As it was our first time there, we were all puzzled by what was going on at first, though we figured it out in the end by ourselves.

I love/hate guides. I love them because it tells me what to do if I'm stuck, but hate because I didn't figure out the puzzle by myself in the end, and sometimes it can be a go-to source for laziness if I don't want to spend too long on something. :P

-------------------------------
Your guide seems... eeeeh, alright.