It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm 

Now that Rezeero is up and running, and we're seeing blue streaks as we explore around D'ni, I was wondering if we will be calibrating it (like in PoTS).

Or is it, like another explorer advised, already calibrated?

Visit JGGL.NET - my site for Adventure Games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's calibrated.. Laxman announced that there was a spike in marker missions, and *poof* it was magically done!

It would be nice if the calibration would 'decay' periodically, and require re-calibration. :lol:

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Given that we're still missing marker game types (specifically, the more competitive "capture" types) and that the coordinates aren't functioning in other Ages yet, I'd venture to say the GZ calibration isn't done yet, though I hope that user-created games get taken into account when dealing with calibration accuracy in the future... not everyone wants to run the 14 the GZ provides ;).

May be why Laxman hasn't bumped the completion meter yet even though the darn thing's spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:22 pm 

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
You can just look at the reading in the city silo and see it's not calibrated. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great Zero pellets now? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 pm 

Tofer wrote:
It would be nice if the calibration would 'decay' periodically, and require re-calibration. :lol:

Laxman did say that he'd appreciate it if we continued to run CGZM missions from time to time, to keep the GZ calibrated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: (n.) a place where something is or could be located; a site.
JeanneM wrote:
Now that Rezeero is up and running, and we're seeing blue streaks as we explore around D'ni, I was wondering if we will be calibrating it (like in PoTS).

Or is it, like another explorer advised, already calibrated?

The GZ itself is calibrated, but you have to do the GZ marker quests in order to calibrate your own KI.

[spoiler=If you finish the red and green quests...]...you will be able to create your own marker quests.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=If you finish the (yellow) calibration quests...]...you will enable the GPS functions on your KI[/spoiler]

Please visit http://folding.stanford.edu for more details.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:04 pm 

Swimmery4 wrote:
If you finish the (yellow) calibration quests...

Please tell a newbie how to start the yellow marker quest. I've finished the green and red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm 

Go to the Great Zero and there are 4 machines at the far end. Activate any of them (they're all the same) and then pick one of the 14 missions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:21 pm 

Once your finished with the red set, and have it loaded in the KI station in the GZ courtyard......

Just walk past the big spinning beam emiter over the pool in the center of the room, and through the doors on the far side of where you linked in to the GZ.

In the GZ Cathedral there are four KI stations pick on and your on your way.

P.S. All four stations display the same set of missions so no worries on which you pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:45 pm 

IngisKahn wrote:
You can just look at the reading in the city silo and see it's not calibrated. :p

Care to explain what you mean by that? I'm getting coordinates in the silo. Are some people not getting them? Or do you believe the unusual height coordinate is the result of miscalibration? If so, why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Alahmnat wrote:
May be why Laxman hasn't bumped the completion meter yet even though the darn thing's spinning.

Isn't this an OOC forum? :P We suspect it's because no one at Cyan had the time to bump the meter. So why should we think the lake light level is going to be any different?

The magical "poof" to GZ calibration simply because Cyan thought it was time and not becuase we had anything to do with it is of great concern to many of us.

I want to see GZ calibration and lake pellets really integrated and automated into the game mechanics so Cyan doesn't have to maintain it. I want to see where we must maintain them or they degrade over time. I want to see this also tied into each hood so that hoods, for example, are responsible for maintaining their own GZ, or lake.

When we know Cyan can just flip the switch when it's time for the story, the meaning and purpose is lost on running the missions or baking the pellets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

"We suspect it's because no one at Cyan had the time to bump the meter."

I suspect a lot of things. It could have been that Cyan didn't make the effort. It could have been technical problems. It could have been that they had an honest standard for how much to bump it per marker mission, and they *stuck to that*, right up until Ep6 began.

The fact that the GZ imager is still low, despite the Big Bump, argues for technical problems.

"So why should we think the lake light level is going to be any different?"

Two obvious reasons: The lake meter (although not the illumination level itself) is a new mechanism. And it was created after the entire GZ experience began. Cyan has now seen what the falloff curve is between the first flush of work (in a content release) and the weeks that follow.

Those are not reasons that the lake is *going to be* different. They're reasons that it *won't necessarily be the same*. The lake is a new event, and Cyan *does* change their approach from month to month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

BrettM wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:

Care to explain what you mean by that? I'm getting coordinates in the silo. Are some people not getting them? Or do you believe the unusual height coordinate is the result of miscalibration? If so, why?

I think he was referring to the fact that the coordinates in the silo would place you far below lake level. Among other problems...

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 pm 

Deledrius wrote:
I think he was referring to the fact that the coordinates in the silo would place you far below lake level. Among other problems...

The position below the level of the main lake is not necessarily a calibration error. Looking at the history of the district, there are good reasons why the D'ni might have wanted it that way. What are these other problems?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next