It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: KI-less pellet dropping?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:59 pm 

As I was sitting in my Silo watching the pellet meter go up and my KI icon flash, I began to wonder what would happen if I dropped a pellet with an avvie that didn't have a KI. Would the machine refuse to drop the pellet? Would it drop it, but not show up on my score when I picked up my KI later, or would it quietly store it until then? Or would it do something really weird, or even BLOW UP? :shock: (Okay, maybe it wouldn't blow up, but hey...)

Now, seeing as how KI-less avatars are pretty much limited to private Ages, this would be fairly difficult to test, but in theory, it is possible, so here's my theory...

This is probably best done with a second person so you have a ready-made Er'cana to go to. First of all, you need an avatar that hasn't collected its KI yet -- that's the easy part. The hard part is getting that avvie into an Er'cana to drop pellets. The only public place that a KI-less avvie can access is their neighborhood, so you have to start there. Since you don't have a KI, you can't figure out which 'hood you got thrown into, so hopefully you got lucky and landed in one that actually gets some traffic. If you got *really* lucky and the random DRC 'hood is actually listed in the Nexus, your partner should be able to find it. Otherwise, you have to wait until someone shows up.

Once you have met up with your partner, it should be quite simple -- have them share Relto, link through their Er'cana book, drop some pellets and see what happens!

What do you think? Has anyone done this? Anyone interested in trying it? Is it completely impossible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought of this very thing today! I'm also very interested in trying it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:34 pm 

This weekend, I'm going to try and complete the entire Journey without a ki. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:48 pm 

Marein, maybe we can set something up and test my theory.

Simon_Bitdiddle wrote:
This weekend, I'm going to try and complete the entire Journey without a ki. :)

Hmm..., Kadish, Gira/Kemo and Teledahn should be just fine, but you'll have to meet up with someone and have them share their instance of Gahreesen in order to finish that one... which means you'll run into the same dfficulties that I mentioned in my OP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 pm 

Going KI less is really not that hard to do, and if you've two computers you can even play without a KI Solo.

I'll lay odds on the whole thing running like normal, but just no KI points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't believe you can finish Gahreesen without a KI, even when it's shared. The Teledahn stone takes you to your own instance of the Gahreesen prison cell, and then the door to the central core won't open.

Maybe someone can share that stone at you -- not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm 

MustardJeep wrote:
Going KI less is really not that hard to do, and if you've two computers you can even play without a KI Solo.

I'll lay odds on the whole thing running like normal, but just no KI points.

So far anyway...

However, it would now require missing out on at least one location and a linking book. The Watcher's Pub is only accessible via the Nexus, which requires a KI, and that is the only location where you can pick up a linking book to Er'cana (and presumably Ahnonay in the future)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:07 pm 

belford wrote:
I don't believe you can finish Gahreesen without a KI, even when it's shared. The Teledahn stone takes you to your own instance of the Gahreesen prison cell, and then the door to the central core won't open.

Maybe someone can share that stone at you -- not sure.

It shouldn't be that hard at all. I *think* someone could take you through the Journey Cloth page of their book, to each cloth in turn. And once you link to that cloth, you can obviously click it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

"I *think* someone could take you through the Journey Cloth page of their book, to each cloth in turn."

That I've never tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm 

Well once someone gets you to Er'cana, yer good to go, you shouldn't hafta re-link to each cloth... Just use someone's Er'cana book from their Relto, either to a cloth or the main link panel, and yer good to go. There's no linking out and back in required to get pellets (unless you don't want to sit around there while they're cooking; but you can just use a short cook time like 6 minutes (2 marks on the meter) to test the theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:53 pm 

Did it once just to prove a point (was trying for a full journey Sans-KI a while back), the journey cloth thing works / worked then. Your helper has to do all of the leg work, then you pop in and out directly to the cloth, and back to their relto till they call telling you to get the next cloth.

Kinda boring doing it solo... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Remember, all of off-line Uru:ABM was without the KI. We did not get the KI until the "To D'ni" expansion pack.

You could store unlimited pictures on that KI. I miss that. :( I took hundreds.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kerryth wrote:
Remember, all of off-line Uru:ABM was without the KI. We did not get the KI until the "To D'ni" expansion pack.

You are not remembering correctly. You DID get a KI in off-line Uru:ABM. It's necessary to complete Gahreesen, as previously mentioned.

There just weren't any Nexus books in offline Uru:ABM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
Kerryth wrote:

You are not remembering correctly. You DID get a KI in off-line Uru:ABM. It's necessary to complete Gahreesen, as previously mentioned.

There just weren't any Nexus books in offline Uru:ABM.

I know there is a KI from the beginning in Uru:CC, but I do not remember it provided in the early boxed ABM, which I bought the minute it came out. Although I could very well be wrong. (Happens often! :lol: ) No way to check because I uninstalled that version years ago. Certainly, if the KI was there, it didn't do much.

I know we did not get the explorer journal until "To D'ni" because once I had it, I wrote in it obsessively, and my first avatar's journal begins after ABM. I really miss the journal, too. :(

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, the KI existed in ABM, it just did nothing but sit on your hand and trigger the doors to open in Gahreesen ;).