It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lets not release disinformation.

the DRC does not say EoA happened in 2005, it says Yeesha searches for someone to free the Least.

Begins searching, not EoA happens. Do we know how long it took yeesha to find someone? No we do not, she tried to do the quest herself, esher took the quest the person in EoA took the quest but how many more did she try to get to free the least and who failed? we do not know.

EoA may have taken place in 2005 it may not have, its not definate at this point in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:19 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Tweek wrote:
Lets not release disinformation.

the DRC does not say EoA happened in 2005, it says Yeesha searches for someone to free the Least.

Begins searching, not EoA happens. Do we know how long it took yeesha to find someone? No we do not, she tried to do the quest herself, esher took the quest the person in EoA took the quest but how many more did she try to get to free the least and who failed? we do not know.

EoA may have taken place in 2005 it may not have, its not definate at this point in time.

Disinformation is the intentional dissemination of false information for the purpose of misleading others, often for strategic reasons. That's not what I'm doing.

Cyan cannot reference "End Of Ages" on their DRC site because it wouldn't be "In Cavern/Character ("IC") so they used the best wording they could without confining themselves to details. Also, it does not say "begins searching" as if she were still searching. It simply says "searches," a tense often used in concise historical references. While "searches" implies there was no resolution, it is obvious Cyan intends to put the events of EoA entirely before Uru Live begins anew and continue from there.

Anna Catherine wrote:
It would feel like a step backwards story-wise to me if we were suddenly pushed back rather than forward along the story timeline. To have Myst V set at some future date limits where the Uru plot can go <snip>

We've already seen what the Bahro can do, and that they should be freed. I know that's not how Cyan wanted the revelation to happen, and I'm sorry it didn't work out how they wanted, but... it happened that way. It's too late to go back and see it gradually, because we've already seen it. <snip>

I would like for Uru Live to be a new start... not a trip to get back to where we already are.

This neatly paraphrases something RAWA said on the DRC site. He said he would have had the Bahro story be much more gradual, but it had to be done within the confines of a single game under the pressure of a low budget and extremely short development cycle. He said there woud be no point reintroducing it into the storyline because everyone already knows what happens. The gist of it was that it's all behind us now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hmm, guess so, shall have to wait and see.

Shame EoA kinda made the Bahro stuff a lil squishy I was looking forward to that unfolding in Uru over a period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:51 pm 

You may be right, but I don't think it is certain at this time. Do you want to be so certain, when it is entirely possible that you may look stupid for being wrong? I don't like looking stupid for being wrong, but I don't know about you. Let's not jump to conclusions. Cyan could in fact be deliberately ambiguous so that it deceives people.

Furthermore, RAWA may have said that the Bahro story is over, but that doesn't mean that it is over because of what happened in the past. It could be over because we know what will happen in the past.

I remain unconvinced of either position. We will have to wait and see. It is pointless claiming that we know what happened in this instance. We will not know what truly happened (EOA or not) until Cyan releases the information, or it becomes blindingly obvious due to new developments in Uru Live. It is not blindingly obvious to me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Maratanos wrote:
Do you want to be so certain, when it is entirely possible that you may look stupid for being wrong? I don't like looking stupid for being wrong, but I don't know about you.

Yes, I do! I have no fear of being wrong. Great gain requires great risk. I look at it from the positive side. If I'm right, I'm brilliant! If I'm wrong, I can just say, "Stupid is as stupid does" and get a laugh. If I don't take the chance, I'll never give myself the opportunity to be brilliant. But really, I don't think being wrong about a game is going to make me any more stupid than I already am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:31 pm 

And there we are different. I don't like taking risks. But if you do, that's fine with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Do you want to be so certain, when it is entirely possible that you may look stupid for being wrong?

Look stupid? For being wrong wrong? Nah, not worried about it.

No one but Cyan knows what's going to happen. And we all know that only Cyan knows. So anybody's guess is just... a guess.

People think their own ideas are right. Of course they do, or no one would have any. But I think it's pretty much understood that speculation is just speculation, and while people may gloat a little about being right, no one should have to feel stupid about being wrong. They're all just guesses and hunches, and this is the place for wild, rampant speculation. :)

I don't see it as a risk in any sense. It's just a sharing of ideas among friends.

Annacat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:38 am 

I with Anna C on this, that is why I posted my idea as a guess oif what might happen. I'm neither wrong or right, as a guess is just speculation until proven. As more details come around, guesses may change due to influence. I too am not taking a clear point of view as of yet. While it would be nice to see a story completion, it may be after the fact where as things have changed and all else is behind us.

I am waiting for UL before making any "I know" statements about the storylines in UL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:49 am 

Considering that new Uru Live takes place after Myst V, there are still loads of possibilities for the Bahro:

Just because the Bahro "freeing" story has been resolved in Myst V, doesn't mean that the Bahro won't appear in Uru Live. After all, they can go wherever they please. They might still like to hang out in the Cavern. And now (post Myst V) they have less reason to be shy around humans. And the fact that we understand a little bit more about them from Myst V could be a very useful tool for integrating them into future storylines.

There is loads of mileage left in the Bahro concept: Where did they come from? How can they link? What is the history of their race. Why did the D'ni encounter them within The Great Tree of Possibilities (the odds should be against it)? Gameplay wise, they could just show up occasionally to be our benevolent helpers.

In original Uru the Bahro were the mystery, but in new Uru Live the Bahro, no longer a complete mystery, could be a real presence and plot driver in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:48 pm 

I'm sorry, it just grinds on my nerves a little bit when people say things like "Since the new UL takes place after EOA, the Bahro will be free, and will do blah blah blah blah blah..."

Since we all (hopefully) know that it is still unknown at this point, I don't see any reason why we can't acknoledge it in our posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:22 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Maratanos wrote:
I'm sorry, it just grinds on my nerves a little bit when people say things like "Since the new UL takes place after EOA, the Bahro will be free, and will do blah blah blah blah blah..."

Since we all (hopefully) know that it is still unknown at this point, I don't see any reason why we can't acknoledge it in our posts.

Because both Cyan Worlds and the DRC say EoA happened before Uru Live. In 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm 

I'm sorry, maybe I'm very stupid and unobservant, but it seems to me that the DRC makes no mention of anything which is definitively referencing Myst 5 (they say Yeesha searches for someone to free the least. Your point that normally it would have said "starts to search" if she hasn't finished is a good one, but it is not a certain thing. The reference on the DRC home page could mean something other than what you think) as being in the past.

Furthermore, Moke said "Myst V story will not be ignored, but it might not fit the way you expect it to. That's all I can really say about that." Now, to me, the fact that it may not fit in a normal way suggests all sorts of possibilities. It could have already happened, it could happen in the future, it could be that the story is only vaguely familiar, but it ends completely differently, with the bahro still enslaved (say, because Esher links in right when you drop the tablet to give to the Bahro, and so he gets it. Then, the whole goal of Uru Live could be to get the tablet back from Esher while avoiding hinderance caused by Esher's control of the Bahro).

All in all, I think that there is enough ambiguity that we can not say anything for certain right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:00 pm 

just one thing to point out..

atrus would have been long dead by the time of UrU (being present day)..
he is only 1/4 D'ni and clearly wouldnt have the same lifespan surly.. even if his life was a little longer than human he would still be dead by the time of UrU.. and as for the stranger he/she'd definatly be long dead...

also if u were one of the called in myst V would u not have a ki?

just a thought or 2..

remember the myst saga happened 200 years ago.. its a long time even for the D'ni..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:29 pm 

Saying cause Atrus is only 1/4 D'ni means he wouldn't live as long as a D'ni is not necessarily true. I have a Greek Ancestor from 400 years ago, and yet every single male member of the family has a medterian complextion and some more european features, using your logic i'm like a billionth Greek and yet I still have a genetic charracteristic (like me pa) found only in the med. Of course the ladies in the family don't look mediterian at all.

Genes are a funny thing Atrus could easily be 200 years old and have the lifespan of a D'ni. At the same time the genes for long life could be recessive and he could have none of it and die aged 80, or he could have a mixture of dominant and receissve long life genes giving him a higher than average age but not the 400 years a extremly long lived D'ni could reach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:01 pm 

Also, if Atrus has a shorter lifetime than the D'ni, then so would Yeesha, and I (although this may be wishful thinking) think that Yeesha, whatever else she is, is not immortal.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next