It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am 

The only half-blooded D'ni in Atrus' family is Gehn. Atrus is either 1 quarter (if Gehn married a surface dweller) or 3 quarters (if Gehn married a D'ni). I don't remember which...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:34 am 

Keta was not D'ni. I think she was a surface dweller, but she may have been from an Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:39 am 

whoops I always forget about Ghen so Yeesha is 1/8th D'ni probably

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Keta was from the surface, but there is speculation about her being of D'ni decent due to the imager technology that her people possesed, at the time and even now humans don't possess, at least publically ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:27 pm 

Yes, that's true.
Keta seemed to be a decendant of a group of people which were called the Amad.
Now since the DRC stated in one of their documents that in the past more D'ni people went to the surface and actually stayed there, I do believe that in some ways, Keta is indeed of D'ni origins.
Whether these people were outcasts is another matter, but you might think of them that way because officially the D'ni did not go to the surface until many years later.
There is also another clue which indicates that Keta's people were originally of D'ni, and that is the language they speak, since you can actually hear that in Riven.

And about the new Uru Live in relation to Myst 5, I believe that Myst 5 is the only Myst game that nowadays can be counted among the canon of the D'ni universe.
And seeing how it ended, I have reasons to think that this new journey will actually start in the age of Releeshahn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

RAWA wrote:
MercAngel wrote:
we first see yeesha in Riven so that put Yeesha birht around 1806 our time

Not to be argumentative, but Yeesha is first seen as a baby in Myst III: Exile. She was born in 1815 by our calendar.

:)

RAWA

OOPS i knew that :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:55 pm 
Um, I hate to mention this, but if Atrus couldn't live two hundred years then EoA must have happened *before* URU. Mind you, he is quite doddery by the time we see him in Releeshahn, which explains him mistaking us for the Stranger. I don't think Yeesha is using the word in the same way.

As for the Shaft, I've walked round the edge of it in PotS twice now as far as I could go (spinning out the game :)), and while it was very dark, there is definitely some kind of scaffolding in the middle: I saw it occlude my view of myself several times. The view of the bottom in PotS looks to me almost exactly like one of the views of it I saw in Myst V. I don't think we're meant to think that anything has changed: any differences can be put down to artistic licence. Of course, it may look completely different in Live...:twisted: As for safety, well, you may not have noticed, but the D'ni really aren't big on handrails and such. They seem to share this quality with the Dwarves of Moria. Maybe it's an underground thing...

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:07 pm 

Zander wrote:
As for the Shaft, I've walked round the edge of it in PotS twice now as far as I could go (spinning out the game :)), and while it was very dark, there is definitely some kind of scaffolding in the middle: I saw it occlude my view of myself several times.

Hmm ill point you to these images again...

http://www.digifu.demon.co.uk/uru/sftmyst/

The Myst 5 shot is taken from looking upwards, while the TPOTS shots are looking down.

The only "scaffold" structures in the TPOTS shaft that I can see are the tracks for the lifts. The wire frame PRPE shot confirms it as well.

So I’m afraid that there is no scaffold in the middle of the shaft in TPOTS similar to the myst 5 one

Zander wrote:
The view of the bottom in PotS looks to me almost exactly like one of the views of it I saw in Myst V. I don't think we're meant to think that anything has changed: any differences can be put down to artistic licence. Of course, it may look completely different in Live...:twisted:

I agree on that the bottom of the great shaft looks the same in both games, but then why the extra scaffold all of a sudden as well?

If both shafts are cannon, who put the new gear in? … Otherwise which features are artistic…?

I am though more inclined to believe, as you’ve said, there is artistic licence in use, I think it could be down to the shaft playing a larger role in myst 5… and to not jazz it up might have caused a disappointment to game players?

Live though could be a totally different kettle of fish …. There has been talk that we won’t start with the cleft, so will we even see the shaft?

Time will tell!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:02 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Nicely done - again - DarK.

This would be an excellent question for the next Town Hall Meeting with the DRC.

"Have you noticed the scaffolding which has been installed since the closing of the last reconstruction?"

Answer should be "Yes." If it is "No," there is probably a retcon attempt in progress.

"Do you know how it got there?"

Expect vague answers like "We have our suspicions" or "We're looking into it."

This will be enough to confirm canon on both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:42 am 

If EoA took place 50 years from now, the scaffold would make perfect sense, being a DRC construction, assuming the DRC did do more work in the time gap between Old Live and EoA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:37 am 

Going in circles here

The cavern closed in 2004, in which some explorers still had access to the caverns (via The Path of the shell) and Until Uru.

Until Uru, gives access to public areas, that where public durning live. While the TPOTS gives access to other areas that yeesha wishes to show you to continue your journey.

On those grounds that the cavern closed in 2004, and that TPOTS was released in 2004 it takes place in 2004, as live was/is ment to be "taking place in reality", therefore so was the journey

In 2005 the DRC site says "Yeesha searches for someone to free the least", I personally are taking this as myst 5, As the story fits to the description, loosely.

However since the text does'nt explain more about what happened, whether the least where free'd, and whether yeesha did even find some one to free the least in the first place etc. There has been talk about how we interprate the text, people feeling that yeesha was not successful and the least still been in captivity and so on.

I don't think that EoA took place 50 years from now, due to the DRC poster in the first rest stop. So it places EoA in the time frame that is on the DRC Site 1990 - 2005.

http://www.digifu.demon.co.uk/uru/sftmyst/drcm5.JPG
http://www.digifu.demon.co.uk/uru/sftmyst/drc1m5.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:28 pm 

Or there is more than one Great Shaft.

Nothing anywhere at all to support this, but if the events in EoA are in 2005, then the supports are missing in 2004 PotS and installed by 2005.
I can't see the DRC removing them prior to PotS. Since they are clearly D'in we have a paradox - I would go for the if the idea had been come up with - they would have done it.

One point on the Atrus and Stranger thing, it is always stated that the Ages are anywhere in time and space. If this is so would that allow the stranger and Atrus to have mismatched lifespans?

And another point, the D'in live anything up to what 350 earth years. Would that long life have partialy effected Ghen and then his son?
Or would the cross breeding result in the near normal lifespan of Ghen, Atrus and Yeesha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:39 pm 

Average lifetimes are just that--averages. Since there hasn't been any human-d'ni-rivenese mixing before now, we really don't know how long Atrus and his family could be expected to live. Also, in the Myst 5 strategy guide it says that Atrus deliberately prolonged his life, in order to see how events played out. So we will probably never know.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

As far as I could tell, the storyline went as follows:
The events in Myst V happen 5 years after the events of the DRC. That being said, I think it's safe to assume that there's no set timeline , only that the DRC stuff will happen, eventually leading to another fall, therefore Myst V being after the new Live is completely feesable. Plus, I forget where I read it, but it was said that Myst V will fit into this whole story, just not how we thought it would. Since the cavern looks pretty much the same from the window in K'veer in Myst V as it did in ABM, albeit a bit darker (that can happen in five years) I think it's safe to assume that Myst V is future.

As for Atrus' age: Remember, he's D'ni, therefore he can stay alive twice, maybe even three times as much as the oldest human, especially given what precautions me might take to keep himself healthy.

Now, about that DRC poster in Myst V:

I took it as the DRC coming back to work even more after they first left (the whole construct support in the Great Shaft kinda supports this theory even more), so I saw it as a little way of Cyan telling us that they wouldn't give up hope on Uru Live, even when it looked like they did.

:) At least, that's what helps me sleep at night.
-J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:45 pm 

There is more to this.
Remember the journals of Douglas Sharper.

He describes in one passage how Simpson found an intriguing stone slate, and how he wants to get this stone for himself.

So Douglas gets the stone, and everytime it is taken away, placed back at where it was found in the first place.
Simpson did not do this, and later Douglas begins to suspect the creatures.
He also states that Yeesha is the key, and that with her there is strength.
Did he meet Yeesha the way we met her in Myst 5 ?

And why did certain people went missing ?
We still don't know for sure what happned to Phil Henderson.

For me these vague decriptions tell me that Yeesha was already searching for people, and even testing them, showing them things previously unthinkable.

Everything happned, so to me it seems Myst 5 actually happned the way we saw it, without artistic license, and so is absolutely canon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next