It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do You Want Neighborhood Variety?
Yes, I'm tired of looked at replicas of Bevin. 97%  97%  [ 35 ]
No, I like the consistency. The Bevin model is fine. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:42 pm 

One thing that always annoyed me about all the neighborhoods in UU is that they're all identical. Other than movable objects, there's no variety whatsoever.

I suggest making at least four or five different variations of a hood, so each new hood that is made randomly chooses one of those models, giving each hood a little more variety.

We saw that this was done with Kirel- it's very, very similar to the Bevin model...but it's not exactly Bevin. That made it feel a little more realistic. It's the same general area, but slightly different design, slightly different location. With how it is currently, I feel like every neighborhood is just an instance of the next, kind of like how it is with the private Age system. Same Age, different instance. Same neighborhood, different instance. I don't feel like I'm traveling to a new hood- I feel like I went to the same place with different neighbors! If neighborhood models were slightly different, at least I would feel like I'm traveling to a different area.

It would be even better if some of the hood models had slightly varying features; i.e. one classroom is a different from the next, or maybe a more educated neighborhood would have more than one classroom, or a larger one, or a higher-density neighborhood would have more apartment doors...that sort of thing. Just like how it is in real life. Neighborhoods of the same class are similar, but you're not going to find any two neighborhoods with the same layout, the same houses, the same proximity to a school...etc.

And if it would take too much time to tweak some new models, maybe give each Bevin slightly different characteristic. The lanterns in the water garden are a good example. Maybe some hoods would have a statue instead of a fountain, or maybe different colors on the lights in the garden.

As is, all the neighborhoods feel like clones of Bevin. Give us some variety!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:21 pm 

they ARE all clones of Bevin...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 pm 

I know it probably is not possible but it'd be nice if the hoods could be moduler. Basicaly when the new hood is created the thing is randomly put together... meaning the linking room, class room, egg room, link in point, fountain, auditorium, water garden, ect are in different places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:49 pm 

basically, you'd have to have a staircase-generator, that could merge all those sections together... You have lots more doors than are actually used right now, so those can be chosen randomly as to what's behind them...

Yeah, It's definately possible, technically.

But whether or not Cyan will do it is up to them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

The thing that annoys me the most though, isn't that the architecture and layout are the same, it's that the cave that the "individual" hoods are located in is EXACTLY the same in every hood! The column is in the exact same position, as is the waterfall. The models are practically identical, no wait, they are identical! Even the adresses are the same in every hood. So yeah, give us variety for sure, cause two years of looking at the same design can really numb out your brain, but at least give us a realistic environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:03 pm 

Also, if it's a Neighbourhood, where are all the houses? :shock: I only see three front doors, and I'm sure that there must have been more then that for the ammount of public area there is there (I mean, you'd be lucky to get enought people for play a serious game of Heek for a start!) :?

I really like the idea of a moduler hood :D Although prehaps from a development point of view it would be easyer if the items stayed in the same place for that model (but have more then one basic model), but the style or type of items would be randomised. For instance, the centeral house might not be built out of a stalagmight, but out of blocks with a cracked Nara coating, and the light garden might be replaced with a series of illuminated fountains with benches around them or somthing.

But yes I would LOVE to see a few more COMPLEATYLY DIFFERNT basic models :D (I consider Kirel to be the same basic model, after all it's just been mirrored with a few textures changed around)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 pm 

Even if they're more like Kirel, we need some variety. I'm sure the D'ni kept things fairly standardized (sort of like we all pretty much have square houses, etc.) so I wouldn't want the hoods to look too different.. but more like Kirel or slightly moved around would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 pm 

I'd like to see different neighborhoods. One thing I enjoy about playing Uru CC is that Kirel is different! Hexagonal floor tiles, everything turned around, even different GZ coordinates. I hope that other neighborhood designs can be incorporated in New Live.

However... every 'hood is a new age. It takes just as much time and effort to make one as it does any other age. So, there are trade-offs. Do we want Ahnonay, some completely new ages, or various 'hoods? Limited resources.

My strongest wish in all of this is that so many people come in to play New Live that Cyan becomes awash in money, hires lots of creative developers and writes ages for the next 50 years, using new technology as it comes out. May the Millers dream... and make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:22 pm 

Stellaflora wrote:
Also, if it's a Neighbourhood, where are all the houses? :shock: I only see three front doors,

Are you sure they're front doors? Perhaps the numbers are more like street numbers, and each door leads to a corridor that serves many houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 am 

In which case they'd be more like APARTMENT numbers...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:29 am 

Actually, no. Because they would have the houses IN them. They're just paths to the houses.

I'd imagine there are also far more houses in the rock that we can't see, thus it looks like only a tiny amount of people live there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:34 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
Actually, no. Because they would have the houses IN them. They're just paths to the houses.

I'd imagine there are also far more houses in the rock that we can't see, thus it looks like only a tiny amount of people live there.

I'd estimate a number of approximately 50 to 150 people living in a hood - given the size of the classroom, the size of the "town hall", the light garden...

Not much more, but not much less, either.

My IC-blog for exploration and age building:
http://dniworlds.rabenschwinge.com/blog/wordpress/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:04 pm 

Thinking about it the hoods that we are currently in could just be standard low income housing (100 to 200 ppl per unit). That would explain why they are all the same. We may one day find hoods that are much different later while exploring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:43 am 

Sudre wrote:
Thinking about it the hoods that we are currently in could just be standard low income housing (100 to 200 ppl per unit).

But the hoods we see are set up with Nexus pedestals, and seem to be designed for people with KIs. Very few people had KIs at the time of the Fall because they hadn't been widely distributed yet. I don't believe that low-income citizens would have had them at that time, so the residents of the hoods would have been of a much higher social class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:55 pm 

Maybe they were for the Maintainers then. Kinda like the military places we have around the US. That would also explain the redundancey of the hoods. They may have been the place the young maintainers in training slept during "boot camp"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next