It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:34 pm 

In a hood where I'm member a character that no longer exist is still a member. Other evidence indicates to me that a DRC hood that looses a member is not filled up. Instead new hoods are created at a high rate. So suggestion:
1. A cleaning out of non members and non existing members from the hood list routine.
2. A recursive routine that appoints the lowest numbered DRC hood with a free slot to new player characters.

If it is doable and reasonable.

Edited typos.

Last edited by Rudolfson on Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:00 pm 

Even if it's not doable and reasonable, this is one thing that should be made doable and reasonable under open source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 pm 

Yep! So many DRC 'hoods in the Nexus are confusing; and, most of all, being for the most part empty, they do not promote interactions between players (new and old), which is one of the the primary reasons for the existence of 'hoods.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not sure it's reasonable. Most DRC hoods are full of players who still exist, but who have lost interest in MOUL and will never log back in. Your proposal would only free up a tiny number of slots, and DRC hoods would be created at almost the same rate as they are today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 am 
Obduction Backer

How about this as a possible solution?
Everyone starts out in the same hood. This hood would be automatically instanced at a cap of say, 20 people per instance. From here, people can link to the city in order to join a hood of their choice. Only this default hood would work this way. This method would both drastically cut down on the number of hoods, and at the same time consolidate currently active players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

That would work today -- except that I'm not sure how well the system would cope with a hood with hundreds or thousands of members. (Even if they were almost all offline.)

It would fall apart if there were a spike in Uru's popularity. Back when MOULa re-opened in February, we were seeing hundreds of new avatars per day. (My blog post from the time estimates 2000 avatars in the first four days.) If you whacked them all into the same DRC hood, there would probably many dozen people trying to get into that Age at a time, and performance would be awful.

I think you could make an adaptive limit work. Tune it up and down based on current MOUL activity.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]