It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Bring Back The Guilds?
Yes. 30%  30%  [ 59 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 43 ]
What Guilds Are You Talking About? 7%  7%  [ 13 ]
Only Some That Could Help People: (ex-The Writers, Linguists, Messengers) 24%  24%  [ 47 ]
Start Modern Guilds Only (Greeters etc.) 16%  16%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:07 am 

Just to add a thought on the "what to do between Ages" defense of complex guilds -- as I remember the conversations about how the pipeline gets filled and emptied, it sounded like there shouldn't be a huge question of "what to do between Ages." Rather, it sounded more like Ages would slowly open up, with bits and pieces being added every few days; multiple Ages would grow simultaneously, at different paces, for different IC reasons; areas of the City or hoods might become available; some Ages would become inaccessible after a while and require Relto sharing and communal exploration; areas of Ages might undergo a change that can't be reversed, and require re-exploration; etc. That is, while we might get a brand new Age every month and a half, it wouldn't be a static Age, all complete and explorable upon release. As I understand the concept, UruLive is meant to be a living, breathing world that changes constantly, not in monthly chunks... Guild life doesn't strike me, then, as something to do in the meantime; rather, it strikes me as a way to enhance and shape the experience of cavern life, a way to strengthen and develop community, a way to drive storyline, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 am 

I belong to an online multi-game guild and I don't think guilds should be able to form in Uru Live.

Guilds would tend to fragment the community that has made Uru a unique world. Guilds promote separatism and elitism in general. Guilds form when people have a common ground or interest. The whole Uru community already has this and there is no need to seperate into tidy little groups.

The past Uru community was the major strength of the game. Diverse peoples coming together to promote cooperation and interaction. To seperate the 'haves' from the 'have-nots' seems a bit counter productive within a Uru enviroment.

Sure, there will be groups forming within the game for their own advancement. Some groups will be informal and will consist of people helping new comers and helping bond the community. But there will be those who seek to cause strife and chaos...they appear in every online game to date. It will be up to the strength of the community to police their own and support their fellow adventurers in creating a close-knit community.

Uru Live will be as much a game as a social community. Lets keep the community together for the enjoyment of everyone.

And yes, I am a goody-two-shoes and will always be. I shall now don my flame-suit. -)

Toodles,

Noldor
Eternal Newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just another two cents:

Guilds and D'ni roleplaying: one of the options above is about modern Guilds; a Guild system doesn't have to be based on the original D'ni one... that would probably end up in something like the SCA, a nice form of pretend but nothing more.

Guild promote elitism: not necessarily; in games like ATITD there are guilds with a very open attitude, and most people are members in at least 3 or 4 guilds in their region and maybe a couple cross-region ones.
And what are groups like UO, TMP, The great tree etc. if not guilds of sorts, just without an official in-game structure? But being a member of these groups is not elitist per se - people are elitist if they choose to be, whether it's in or outside a guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:46 am 

I'm with Noldor on this one.
In most forms, guilds promote divisions - divisions that would detract from the wonderful cooperative and supprotinve nature of the URU community.

Around Prologue there was a surprisingly strong and far reaching reaction to the divisive roleplaying threads that were being presented. Conflict may have been Ubisoft's stock in trade, but it wasn't going down well with a lot of the URU/Myst community.

It appears that part of the appeal of URU, and more generally the Myst games, is that, for the players, they are a refreshing break from the conflict obsession that dominates so much of our media and computer games.

Of course, if you can be a member of as many guilds as you want, then guilds in URU shouldn't be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:21 pm 

I do not recall any particular "strong and far reaching reaction to the divisive roleplaying threads that were being presented" during prologue. I do recall a few large groups that formed hoods with the word "guild" in their names - the Guild of Greeters comes to mind first and foremost.

It is absolutely natural for people to form groups with similar interests and goals, and so the development of fan-based "guilds" within the game will not go away.

As to a Guild structure being set up as part of the actual game itself, I don't see the harm, as I have posted earlier - it adds to the interest of the game.

I am also one who does not object to the sort of heirarchy and organization that this brings to the game experience. The desire to climb the social or achievement ladder is a motivator that keeps people playing, and anything that keeps people playing is good for Cyan, good for Turner/GameTap, and good for the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:20 pm 

Quote:
anything that keeps people playing is good for Cyan, good for Turner/GameTap, and good for the fans
Update on UruLive game features... new Yeesha page available on Noloben places an armament shed right next to the reflecting pool! Grab some ammo, head over to Ae'gura, and splatter your best buddy's guts all over the Hall of Kings!

;)

J/k of course, but new and more dastardly weapons is one of the things that "keeps people playing" but is not necessarily good for Cyan, Turner, or the fans. Yes, Cyan needs to provide features that will keep subscribers happy and draw in new blood. But that doesn't mean it should stick to the "if it works, don't fix it" rule... nothing works universally, and there's always room for improvement and innovation. IMHO, same is very much the case with a traditional, highly structured, heirarchical Guild system.

Also, I think Zenguy was referring to the different factions that rose up in Prologue around the Yeesha vs. DRC (Great Tree, Safety First, Third Path, etc.) and the sometimes heated exchanges between them. For my tastes, some of the "rivalry," if you want to call it that, got a bit too impassioned and "real," and IIRC others felt the same way, or at least voiced fears that it might get out of hand. Me, I just wanted to spend time in D'ni, find new texts and artifacts, maybe even a new book in an unexplored corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:48 am 

I for one hope that Guilds do not return Last time the one thing that I noticed that guild brought to the table was elitism and a Clique that was diametrically opposed to everything the Myst genre stood for. Many good peoples feelings were hurt due to snobbery that some members of the GoG insisted on imposing.

You cannot have a communal spirit and have what amounts to the local High School lunchroom “cool table”. I have no doubts that plans are already being made to bring back the Guild of Greeters and others, but this isn't the direction Uru needs to go. I will be saddened if the guilds are brought back, because they will bring with them pettiness, and an oligarchy vibe that will turn off many would be players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:07 am 

Woa this shot up overnight! :o

Im all for a guild system but I think we've got to think about how it would be run!
When the fall came the guilds were in the height of their power - we need to probably create a guild system that will be enjoyable for everyone but not damaging the new D'ni!

Or Yeesha has already forseen something!...Destruction is coming...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:43 am 

No TG its a old thread, the last post before Dunraven is rated June 9th.

As for guilds I'm still for guilds which further the plot and community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:58 am 

Woops should have looked at the dates - my bad!

Anyway old or new im still for it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:02 am 

I'm still against it.

My critiques of guild systems, and my reasons why guilds would be harmful to Uru are splattered throughout the history of the forum, and for the sake of not imitating a broken record shall not be repeated at this time.

"History is irredeemable."
- Kain, Scion of Balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

We don't know enough about the way the guild system will be run in order to make those kinds of judgements, Rieuco.

The way I understand it is that if you do not join a guild it is because you aren't really interested in what benefits that guild has to offer. Pretty much it is a place to make friends and work together as a team toward a common goal which everyone in the guild will be able to achieve.

I can't imagine that causing infighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:18 pm 

Greeters will be there officially or unofficially it's up to Cyan anyway we are all greeters in one way or another
everyone helps people around here in the cavern even if your not in the "Guild" that is what is great about
this community :D

Besides there will be many types of "Guilds" and Guild systems Cyan has said and reading this thread we
just need to wait and see the structure Cyan has planed. It is a choice if you want to participate/Join in one or not
I see Guilds these days as more like Hoods you have the same interest so you join that Hood.

So I am with Cycreim I can't see that creating infighting unless Cyan gives us Laser Ki's or Water balloons, toilet paper.
Hood raid :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
So I am with Cycreim I can't see that creating infighting unless Cyan gives us Laser Ki's or Water balloons, toilet paper.

If Cyan does this, I will support guilds without question or equivocation. Forever.

Especially water balloons.

;)

Annacat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:32 pm 

Water balloons, I like that! -)

I noted that many of the features. that the pro-guild posters talked about, are currently installed on the various current MMOs. They also jump on the 'if you are against, you are paranoid' attack.

The con-guild posters are switching back and forth between IC and OOC posting...so much that it is starting to sound like they have blurred the edge between RL and Uru, which worries me.

I support informal groups of people helping new citizens. I support a group of people coming up with impromtu quests based on in-game locations (1. What color and where in the room is the Giant Gourd located?). I support an out-of-game forum site coordinating with the Devs to create an in-game 'event'.

DO we really want to make Uru just like all those other MMOs out there. Are you really wanting Uru to be another 'middle of the road' MMO just like the rest...citing profit making features that they all incorporate?

To me, Uru will be just like There, Second Life, Virtual Worlds, etc. An online immersive experience. Unique onto itself. Where people can gather and journey the ages to solve mysteries. A community working together to the better good of everyone.

Toodles,

Noldor Numbwit

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next