It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Bring Back The Guilds?
Yes. 30%  30%  [ 59 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 43 ]
What Guilds Are You Talking About? 7%  7%  [ 13 ]
Only Some That Could Help People: (ex-The Writers, Linguists, Messengers) 24%  24%  [ 47 ]
Start Modern Guilds Only (Greeters etc.) 16%  16%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:28 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

This has been mentioned before, but since this thread is being poked again...
I think there is another aspect (or possibility) to "non-exclusiveness": the option of having/founding/joining of more than one Guild for one aspect of interest. Either the gameplay itself could offer that (by simple Guild founding procedures, like hood creation), or like Zardoz suggested somewhere above, the option to have "independent of the official" Guilds, but with the same privileges.
That way, if you don't like what's going on in a Guild, but would be interested on focussing on it's "trade", you could join or found the Guild of Bahro Screech Imitators II, if you wouldn't feel comfortable with GoBSI I.
Can get confusing if there's too many, and may not be very effective if you consider the "trade" of a guild as "work", but should keep it nicely fluid and open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:33 pm 

@ mincetro
To use a bit of your argument in reverse, why should someone who's a more active explorer get access to more content than me, when we're both paying our $9.95 a month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:44 pm 

He doesn't, You get to visit it too if you can find it.
It's like saying "how come he found a ruby while mining but I didn't?" It's just game logic rather than exclusiveness. Where as in your logic it would be "Why did he get to sell hundreds of rubies in the rocks just because he got a place in the Guild of Miners? I tried to get in but was rejected for being a n00b. Elitest B*sartds!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:24 am 

I thought it was always established that participation in certain events/groups would net you some extra stuff. At least it says that very thing on this website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:17 am 

I'm sorry, I've been looking for the past 20 minutes and I can't find that anywhere on the uru live website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 am 

Quote:
Customization:
Create a personalized avatar that you can customize.
Receive your own personal island place where you can relax and call home; you can also personalize your home to fit your mood.
Receive customizations from the Uru Live developers by completing different tasks or being apart of in-game events and groups.

I'm not sure this is what you have in mind as far as "Guild perks" go, but this seems to indicate you could at least get a T-shirt.

Oh, and this is listed under the "features" section.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:41 am 

:mrgreen: Guild of Greeters – yes, I’ve always advocated that (re – earlier posts debate on whether we should have them back) and thought they played a good role in Prologue, extremely helpful – and all newcomers were advised to visit the Guild of Greeters Neighbourhood simply for education, and to pick up the jist of the game.

The one thing they had that a newcomer didn’t have – was knowledge of the game which they eagerly imparted. They were a good source for info – or even spoilers if you were that way inclined. The point I’m making is that they didn’t possess any exclusive knowledge or skills that the newcomer wouldn’t at some time be privy to themselves – without joining their club.

Groups of Explorers will tend to bunch together anyway – It makes good teamwork, and of course you make a lot of friends. We have different neighbourhoods don’t we? I’m just against the idea that some of the Guilds which the Pro’s are advocating will be privy to parts of the gameplay us other mere Explorers will be denied – unless we don a pointy hat and go through their initiation.

“I’m a member of five different Guilds – how many Guilds have you joined?” Or “Oh, aren’t you a Guild Member yet?” Or even – “you must be in the Guild of Writers to gain access to the Library of untested books if you want to do any research”. Or, yet again just for good measure – “I’m sorry but this meeting is for Guild Members only”. I envisage a stranger linking in to somewhere without an invite – and all the other ‘Guild’ members suddenly talking to one another using the PM function.

Please whatever you do – do not deem me paranoid, as has been intimated in earlier posts. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world – and believe me -albeit isolated -incidents like the above would happen. I’ve seen it happen.

By and large the Uru crowd are an amiable lot – the game appears to appeal to people of a certain disposition. And this is one of the reasons why we are here. We may have a Guild System introduced by Cyan – I only hope it’s controlled by them and not by self appointed Explorers. Undoubtedly there are many good things that can be spawned by having Guilds. I’m just here to throw in a few ‘cons’. That’s all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:24 am 

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! you took the words right out of my mouth, Tokai.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:53 am 

Thomas Jefferson said (roughly) that exclusive societies were inherently unpatriotic.

The Greeters are great, wouldn't want that changed, this is not aimed at the Greeters. Some of my best friends are Greeters. :wink:

But getting divided into more (other) exclusive Guilds creates a society that I don't think we'd want.

I believe URU should be equally accessible to all. :D So, yeah, what Tokai said better. (wanted to second them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 am 

domahreh wrote:
How about another Age-access scenario Cyan has in fact alluded to. An new linking book appears on the Ae'gura docks Monday, 200 people visit it by Wednesday, and it disappears. Only those 200 people who visited the book over those three days now have this linking book on their Relto shelf. No other explorer has the book, and won't for a while, at least. In order for other explorers to visit this new Age, they have to socialize and meet up with a friend who has the linking book -- and then, their access to that Age is only by invitation, they won't get the book on their Relto shelf..... -- unfair?

If this is a scenario that Cyan is working on then yes - I would say it is unfair. Unfair to the casual player who can only visit once or twice in a week and totally misses the three days the book was available. Add to that the likelyhood that during the time period they are in URU there is no one present who has the book to share. If you missed the dock page you could always get it from someone who had it - same with the Yeesha page in the hoods. The only way the above senario might be "fair" is if the book appeared and disappeared on different days and during different time periods so that a lot more folks then just the first 200 can get it on their shelves and have it to share. The other problem with the above senario is that - say you do find someone with the book who is willing to share - if you don't get through the entire age right then, there is no way to go back and finish it (it is not on your shelf remember) so you have to spend time looking all over again for someone with the book...etc, etc, etc. Talk about frustration!! :roll:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:49 am 

Not being able to get into a place because your not in a guild is just wrong. Then if any guild gets "Privite" for any reason. We cant do anything about it. Were stuck, they laugh their asses off at our problem. I can see not being able to get around because you havn't beat an age sounds allot more reasonable if you want to go along with limiting do to (so and so). It will help new players from getting lost (I got lost in the D'ni city alot when I first went there.) or stumbling into something that they are not suppose to go to till they understand more. (I'd hate my first ever myst puzzle to be the Great Zero)

Beware the dark shadow, for he is your true enemy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:05 am 

:roll: we've worked our way back to "OMG GUILDS EVIL!"

Last edited by Stevecrox on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:10 am 

Groupings that promote cooperation and support for others are good.
Those that promote division, separatism or elitism are bad.

To the extent that we can have guilds that promote the former (e.g. Guild of Greeters) and avoid the latter (I would put the faction experiments in Prologue into this category - dons flame proof suit) then that would work. Otherwise, tread with care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Why not do this:

You don't need to have anyone's permission to join a guild, that way nobody can prevent anyone from doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:04 am 

Stevecrox wrote:
:roll: we've worked our way back to "OMG GUILDS EVIL!"

No we really haven't. I think most of us who are speaking now have no objections to there being Guilds in URU as long there is no "penalty" game-wise if you choose not to join. The one "penalty" I would find most objectionable is having an Age or area of the Cavern blocked to my exploration because I was not a member of a specific Guild or Guilds.

As I have stated before - a possible solution would be to have a "backdoor" to such an Age or area that a non-guild explorer can find and use. Like the wall jump - in Prologue - that got us into the dock area when it was still offically "closed" by the DRC. Actually, it would be kind of fun exploring the Age or area while trying to avoid the "owners". Using your Relto book to get yourself out when you see someone coming. :lol:

Another example would be the Guild of Maintainers - it has been suggested that they would be the beta testers for all new Cyan and fan created Ages. I've no objection to that as long as once an Age or area passes the beta test - I - as a non-guild explorer - am somehow given access to it. Either directly, through the solving of puzzels, or through a "backdoor" I have to find.

I may be putting my neck out by making a general statement, but I truely think the majority of us are willing to accept the presence of Guilds. As Long As choosing not to join in no way limits our full enjoyment of the game. (Read - sticking our noses into every nook and cranny there is.) :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next