It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Bring Back The Guilds?
Yes. 30%  30%  [ 59 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 43 ]
What Guilds Are You Talking About? 7%  7%  [ 13 ]
Only Some That Could Help People: (ex-The Writers, Linguists, Messengers) 24%  24%  [ 47 ]
Start Modern Guilds Only (Greeters etc.) 16%  16%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Make the Guilds available for people who want to participate, but leave them optional such that there is zero penalty or consequence for not participating. This is a lot like wanting to be IC-only or OOC-only or some comfortable mix.

"Something for everyone" opens the game up to more people and increases Uru Live's chance for survival. It's up to us to tolerate the different playing styles, and knowing we can involve ourselves to the level of our own choosing very much helps to achieve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Joey Zoonishii wrote:
I think having Guilds come back as an option for some people could potentially make the story and things more interesting.

I agree. From the poll result it's clear we are almost evenly divided among the many options... so an optional Guild system could be the best solution!

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:41 pm 

LaReh wrote:
Owehn wrote:
I also think that the guilds shouldn't be too official. Anyone should be allowed to join or leave the guilds at their discretion.

This is what I'm talking about. Many people were offended at having to apply for membership to the Greeters and often verbally attacked working Greeters for running what they saw as an elitist organization.
Too much organization creates walls between players and those trying to simply help. People need to relax and have fun, period. Why does everything need a management system?

While I can see this as a problem, I do think some minor form of application to the guild would be a good idea, just as the greeters require it. Nothing overly formal but it allows other guild people etc.. to know who else is a guild member.

Recently making the TCT post on DRC has given me an insight into why some people might be against such an application, I make a statement to remind everyone that CCN was open to everyone and one of the response i recieved was very much like a job interview cover letter. So I can see how people might be put off, also there is always the possibility of being 'rejected' if you apply. I can't see this happening unless it would cause conflict within said group, not everyone can't get on with everyone this is an unfortunate fact :(

Anyone who might have a real complaint should be able to make it but to attack greeters for no reason isn't acceptable I know I would step in if I saw someone doing that.

To try and sum this long rant I like the idea of applications cause it lets the guild know who is a part of the guild, every group from D'ni Linguistic fellowship to UO needs some minimal organisation and know who else is around is helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 pm 

I think maybe less of an application, and more of a registration for Guilds. Knowledge of who's a better person for such-and-such job will propagate by word of mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Even if guilds are not included in Live, they will be there... I am thinking of the Greeters, here, as I am a member. I see, official or not, the Greeters being there to assist as needed. As has been said here, people are going to group on their own and create an identity. There will always be personality conflicts, no matter what group or guild of which you speak. Like it or not, the Cavern reflects RL in the less than pleasant ways, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:59 pm 

I voted no, mainly because I believe even if the people today have good intentions when the guild are made, they can go wrong in the future. I am sure the D'ni guilds were all great when they just started up, but became corrupted and eletist over the many-many years of operation. I also think the hoods are just as bad.

For gameplay dynamics and conflict however I would suggest guilds. Only to make the game more interesting.

---

I would love to join the GoP (Guild of Procastinators)... Tommorow. Maybe.
GoU (Guild of Umbrellas) would be a fun guild to join. You would always run around with an open umbrella over your head (guild outfit) ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:28 pm 

I do think it's a good point that, whether they're a formal feature of UruLive or not, guild-like organizations are going to be around regardless. (I'm still up in the air about what to call a "guild," exactly... I don't see Tasera as a Guild but I do see it as guild-like, just in the sense that it's a group of people with a common interest. I do see GoG as a Guild, in the sense that it has an infrastructure, Cyan recognition, a t-shirt, etc.)

What would be the benefit of formalizing fan groups into in-cavern presences, beyond what they have now? Would it be just to say, "Look, we're an official group?" That seems a bit silly to me. It seems unavoidable that the way fan groups function now, within and amongst each other, would be affected by official recognition of individual groups, along the GoG model (nothing against GoG, I personally feel they have an important role to play and do a good job of it, I just don't think it's a setup that can be justly extended beyond GoG).

I think Guilds do have the potential for some great community building, story-telling, and game plot development that shouldn't be ignored. I think, though, that I'm of the mind that Guilds should be divorced from fan groups altogether, and, like JWPlatt said, tend more towards the way that IC/OOC works now -- it offers some fun and optional ways to enrich the cavern experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think a lot depends on what a Guild intends to accomplish. If it's simply to get special perks, then I say no. If it's to gather people with common interests then yes. If it is to do a specific job, then also yes. Some complain about elitism and that may be the way they see things but it is not the reason GOG has the application and requirement for forum participation. We have a specific role to fulfill in the cavern. We need to be assured that our members are capable of performing that role. We get applications from people who think the shirt is cool. That does not qualify them. Others can only be in the cavern every fifth Tuesday. Still others can't wait to council the sick and needy in an official capacity. We are there to help with game concerns, not anyones health. These people, as wonderful as they are, just aren't up to doing the job. That's what the application is about, not elitism. Think of it as a job application. Would you hire someone with shaky hands to be a brain surgeon? Anyone who has a problem with a Greeter or wishes to compliment one can go to the GOG web site and fill out a feedback form. We take all comments seriously.Form is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 pm 

So far it sounds like the most practical approach is:

[list=]1. Allow optional membership to one guild, or multiple lesser memberships.

2. Bring Back the guilds that would help people-
The Guild Of Cartographers, Linguists, Greeters, Writers (if we get age making capabilities in time) and any other *fun* guilds we want to make.

3. It only makes sense that the guilds themselves should be officially sanctioned through Cyan or the DRC or whatever, and every guild would have leadership to HELP not to "DISS" people.

4. For those who have played "Guild Wars", we simply won't be able to have the battle for power and ill feelings brooded in that environment (not that I don't love guild wars :) well, not as much as Uru) becuase we can't harm each other in Uru....well maybe we can do that politically with the Guild of Legislators hmm... :D But you get the point.[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:57 am 

:? I think it’s obvious that any suggestion which creates such a stir, and controversy among fellow Explorers like this one, must speak volumes to everyone. As much as some would love to have them – it may be wise to leave the Guilds in the D’ni past.

This thread alone reveals the fact - not everyone is happy with the idea. As benign and affable, as some would profess they are – to others, the mere mention of the word 'guild' conjures up thoughts of a ‘pecking order’.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:05 am 
Obduction Backer

And yet, this is what Moke had to say at this morning's meeting:

Moke (at the morning Cyan meeting) wrote:
(05/11 09:10:32) Moke: I know we will be supporting a pretty sophisticated Guild system, which will have many roles for whoever wants to participate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:16 am 

I haven't voted yet and am still up in the air as to whether to hold or venture an opinion on the subject (according to my warped logic this post dosen't count as venturing an opinion). Personally, I'm not one to take to a guild and would like to be free to just make it all up as I go along. That's not to say this one pair of boots will will fit everyone. Folks should be able to choose whether or not to join a guild with no bias either way.

- Drew Kafka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 am 

Zardoz wrote:
And yet, this is what Moke had to say at this morning's meeting:

Moke (at the morning Cyan meeting) wrote:
(05/11 09:10:32) Moke: I know we will be supporting a pretty sophisticated Guild system, which will have many roles for whoever wants to participate.

I noticed that as well, Zardoz. Makes one wonder where the storyline might lead and how it could possibly influence content...

Long Live MOUL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 am 
Obduction Backer

hmmm I dunno. It'd be pretty cool to be part of a specific group, but then again, it depends what guilds are restored. For example, the guild of ink makers - how would that work? Do the DRC know how the ink was made?. Also there is the matter of elitism that could occur... I'm not sure. In the end I think I'll vote only some that will help people :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 am 

I would prefer to stick with the modern associations because that's what the community is built upon. From our work with the DDTF, in looking at usergroups and the story, it's not about being D'ni, it's about being explorers who we are in both an IC/OOC capacity. You Are You has been not only been able to show our strengths but our weakness once you strip away the pretenses of character-based RP. Coming from an MMO (City of Villians), the excuse to attack someone personally and then hide behind the shield to say it's coming from strictly character perspective only enables people to forget or be discourteous that there are real people with real feelings that's sitting with a piece of technology within two feet of their personal space. It may not be as exciting as character based roleplay but on the other hand, it's what made Uru Live so special the first time around because of the bonds of friendship we did make in the cavern and in the forums. Unfortunately, as we have seen in that community, the diversity of opinions even on the management of conflict resolution has divided this community on more than one occasion. We need to as a community how to embrace a system so that it's nature doesn't turn off potential new subscribers in the game.

In regard to guilds, I would like the option of membership to be loose preferably because I think people work best in being to contribute their talents to a variety of community groups fostering a connectiveness and coalition building rather than on a rigid system. Asfor our association online, many of our members are or have been established members in other groups and so to say well you can't be a member because you're already of this association is very restrictive to both the member and the group.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next