It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 pm 

I don't really have a problem with "online/offline" in an IC sense. However I do think "Age Players" should be changed, even to something like "Age Explorers".

What really bothers me though is the "<explorer> is on the surface..." the KI gives you whenever someone is unavailable to respond. It makes no sense when you can see an explorer in front of you yet your Ki says they're "on the surface". Why can't it just say they're unavailable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 pm 

mashu wrote:
I don't really have a problem with "online/offline" in an IC sense. However I do think "Age Players" should be changed, even to something like "Age Explorers".

What really bothers me though is the "<explorer> is on the surface..." the KI gives you whenever someone is unavailable to respond. It makes no sense when you can see an explorer in front of you yet your Ki says they're "on the surface". Why can't it just say they're unavailable?

I have to agree with this.

The entire KI system had to be translated for us by the DRC and the parts that could not be translated turned off. In time as the DRC figures the rest of the KI out there will be more features added. If you want to get rid of the "Online/offline" then just get rid of all the english in the Nexus and the KI because it ALL should be in D'ni. When the DRC looked at this feature (online/offline) the person probably immidiately thought of "internet lingo" and that's the wording we got.

Now as far as this "<explorer> is on the surface...". I think I put a feature request in to change that.. maybe I didn't and just placed it in the suggestion forum, now burried. This is a big problem as far as I can see. I am looking right at the person and it says they are on the surface!? It needs to be changed to either, "Explore is busy" or "Explore has thier KI turned off" or "Explorers KI is not functioning correctly"... any except the on the surface thing. BUT once again, this is a command that the KI executes. The statement at one time WAS written in D'ni! So when Laxman, or whoever it was, put in the english (or whatever language) he accidently inserted the wrong statement into the wrong memory location.

So in short, any miswordings the KI might be doing needs to be brought up to the DRC so the next time a KI "expert" is playing around with them, he can reword what he put in... oh and that DOES include the "AGE Players" WHy he would translate it to that I don't know but that's what he entered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The entire KI system had to be translated for us by the DRC and the parts that could not be translated turned off.

Oh my, this is not an IC discussion. "Online/offline" in the KI specifically refers to real-world game players who are either connected or not connected to the MOUL servers, and no one is going to convince me that Cyan meant otherwise with that usage.

My IC argument, if you must, is that the DNC would simply not use these words when translating the functions of the KI, and they make no sense to my avi in this context.

...the translation would more likely be "The Noble Robot's KI is offline," or "The Noble Robot is off the lattice" or "The Noble Robot is on the surface" or "The Noble Robot is out of range of the Great Zero"... not "The Noble Robot is offline."

Sure, I'll grant that an IC use of "online/office" doesn't totally sink this boat, but seriously, I'm a Star Trek fan, so I've dealt with my fair share of fans making excuses for plot holes and other errors.

It simply must be changed to a more "Uru" sounding term. It's simple, and wouldn't take much effort and no one would complain.

The same goes for "Age Players" and "<explorer> is on the surface" when they're obviously not, in IC terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
It simply must

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not really concerned with what they call it, but I really want to see who's online when I'm there. I hope they don't do away with that part of it. I really want to see my recent list and my buddy list and my age player list and my neighbors list. I've not been bothered by a notice that someone is on the surface, but that's probably because IC discussions usually rub me the wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

krystyn wrote:
Quote:
It simply must

:shock:

That's right! I demand this and that and also grapes! :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2