It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:07 pm 

It would be nice to be able have an IC forum. Having to hit escape and then go to the web base URU Live forums is useful, but I could imagine a a section of the city where people could go and suddenly be presented with several Forumn rooms.

Let's say a Quroum close by the square where an explorer enters and finds linking rooms with several doors: an octagonal borgesian style ediface that would house both current messages and special archive viewers to search back logs.

A place where you could drop off messages to other explorers who, with their KI could recognize they have messages waiting for them and the post office section. This would be good if you were working with others in surface mode who might not be there till another day or time.

In this quorum would also be an ongoing IC webcast of live streaming video feeds of interviews from the DRC about current, past, and future projects. A way of utilizing what the website The Cavern Today does with podcast technology, but within the URU envioronment. (Of course this would entail more bandwidth for live streaming).

Another aspect would be a central section with the Encylopedia of the D'ni: a set of books that would give users the codified history, myths, stories, et. al. of the D'ni. Of course this could be an ongoing reconstruction project which would entail more involvement of explorers and the DRC alike in mutual cooperation to moderate and create such an institution.

I could see volunteers from each of the Guilds adding in information and entries to the Quroum areas. Moderators from the Guilds. Scholars, linguists, mythographers, artisans, et. al. all combining to create an information system that could fill in the background information of both new and existing explorers.

I know it would entail moderators and a great deal of programming for such and innovation. But it might be something that would enchance the IC experience and provide members a useful congregation site to tap into current events, calendar and festival information.

There are several websites that do the same thing I'm suggestion. But the differance would be a centralised In Cavern place where explorers and the DRC alike could interact through spoken, written, live feeds, and calander boards.

Something for the future ... but I think a viable direction to move. I see URU and the City itself as a destination site where people can learn from each other not only through the Chat system, but also by being able to add in scholarly information: articles, essays, stories, poems, etc.

I keep thinking of the Greek forumn where people came to learn, see enactments (satyr plays, tragedies, comedies), as well as discuss the culture and philosophical aspects of daily life.

It could start off small: just a current events calander, and a live online forumns with postings like we do on the web site. (In fact it just entails moving the forumns with an IC bent inside the game itself with certain rules and guidelines that could be posted with your KI.

You could even have a Spoiler Room. But if you enter it and use a spoiler then you have to where a dunce hat for a month :wink:

Just an idea...

c'ya, earthwiz... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:05 am 

THis is an In Character reply.

It sounds like a great idea but the DRC would need a lot of funding to install repeaters and an internet backbone into the caverns. The Great Shaft is MILES long to get down to the caverns from the surface. It cost companies millions just to put networks into building much less the cavern.

I can see possibly in the future having features like this in the KI. As soon as.. Laxman (i think) figures out how the rest of the KI works, he can turn those features back on. I am sure the D'ni had some kind of "bullitin" system, probably built into the KI itself. I don't think the surface internet will be incorperated into the KI system for quite some time.

Still these are great ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 am 

Quote:
It would be nice to be able have an IC forum.

Amazing! I do believe that's what THISis!

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:10 am 

Yes. Let's us the DRC site for IC stuff. It'll be updated more now, I think. Just give Cyan a bit of time.

Post subject: IC Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:18 am 
Obduction Backer

I think the point was to have a sort of post office/information exchange available. within the game

Post subject: Re: IC Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:51 am 

Mystical_346 wrote:
I think the point was to have a sort of post office/information exchange available. within the game

That's how I understood it.... more stuff IN the game rather than having to troll the forums before starting the game. This would allow you to go into the game FIRST then go to a place or KI to read the IC (or not) forums.

That would give you something to do IN game while waiting for your buddies to show up to solve that NEW multi-player age... or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, we really do need connections into the cavern (just no connections between me and my email account). It seems most people spend their time out of it, waiting for an announcement of something inside of it before heading into the cavern to explore.

This results in no one being online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:58 am 

I would like if we could fill the classroom bookshelves with written texts - similar to the journal in Complete Chronicles. This would give players a reason to visit other hoods to read material from other explorers.

Perhaps blank journals could be hidden in out-of-the-way places and they would spawn on an infrequent basis. If you find one, you can either return it to the classroom and leave it on the shelf to share (say a journal has 50 pages) or even drop it off in your Relto.

The hood owner would have privileges to remove a book, which would erase it and return it to the pool of available journals. If these were limited and perhaps had original covers (or covers only available for a time period before they changed) they would become collectors' items for Relto or the hoods.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]