It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Linking into an age.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:54 am 
Obduction Backer

For certain ages it would be nice ifthe destination spot would be an area rather than a single point. For example the Bevins...everyone links in on top of one another. Instead of that single point set a radius in which they could link in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pm 

Yes. This should be very easy to implement; I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:54 pm 

No it isn't easy to implement with the current version of the Plasma Engine.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Didn't it used to be good form to simply move off the link-in spot as soon as you arrived, avoiding social embarrassment and wardrobe disasters? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Didn't it used to be good form to simply move off the link-in spot as soon as you arrived, avoiding social embarrassment and wardrobe disasters?

this becomes a problem when a large number linkin, and have lag, and are therefore unable to move off the link in spot.

Edit: quote, not spoiler. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm 

Tiran wrote:
No it isn't easy to implement with the current version of the Plasma Engine.

Then I'm afraid I'd have to conclude that the current version of the Plasma Engine sucks. I don't believe you though. Do you have any references?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:07 pm 

Plasma 2.0.1 currently uses a single point with a World coordinate as a link-in-point. This is easier for the engine to keep track of, and easier for the server to use.

Now, (I haven't seen this myself, so what I say might be wrong) I've been told that with the AdminKI on UU, it was possible to link a group of people to a certain coordinate, and have them all spread out around the coordinate (like you are suggesting). I don't know how this was done, you'd have to ask one of the UU server admins.

Quote:
Then I'm afraid I'd have to conclude that the current version of the Plasma Engine sucks.

Plasma isn't perfect. *shrug* neither are Microsoft's Operating Systems. You just learn to deal with it. (Although we have a slight chance of convincing Cyan to update their engine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
Plasma 2.0.1 currently uses a single point with a World coordinate as a link-in-point. This is easier for the engine to keep track of, and easier for the server to use.

Now, (I haven't seen this myself, so what I say might be wrong) I've been told that with the AdminKI on UU, it was possible to link a group of people to a certain coordinate, and have them all spread out around the coordinate (like you are suggesting). I don't know how this was done, you'd have to ask one of the UU server admins.

Quote:
Then I'm afraid I'd have to conclude that the current version of the Plasma Engine sucks.

Plasma isn't perfect. *shrug* neither are Microsoft's Operating Systems. You just learn to deal with it. (Although we have a slight chance of convincing Cyan to update their engine)

Nope, the adminKI linked you to the SceneObject of the LinkInPoint.

HOWEVER, linking to a general are could be possible. For example, you could have a bounding plane of coordinates and choose a random number inside that plane and have the avatar link to the randomly chosen point :)

Just need to make sure that the client gets that info to the server, otherwise everything gets screwy ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't even think you need to add a plane. All that would be needed is to add a radius variable, which could be as small as a byte depending on world scale. Then when you spawn Randomly select an angle and distance away from the point. If could be done in a couple lines of code...unless they've done something really interesting with their engine. The hardest part would probably going back and actually determining the spawn radius for each link point. This is all speculation of coarse...not having seen the code for the engine.

This way the engine would still on see one point, only thinking about offset when spawning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:51 pm 

The problem still comes from keeping the server and the client in synch with each other. Right now, the server just sends the player to a predefined point.

When you add a radius and need to calculate it on-the-fly, unpredictable things start happening. (Players getting warped back to the LinkInPoint, All players being warped to the same part of the LinkInPoint, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:27 pm 

There are several link-in points in Ae'gura as well as in each of the first journey ages
[spoiler](by each of the nexus terminals and at each of the journey cloth locations).[/spoiler]
Therefore, multiple link-in points are possible.

Having multiple link-in points at each entry point, assigned in some random (or quasi-random) way, would reduce the chance of overlaps significantly.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:36 pm 

Each LIP (Link In Point) needs to have a unique name, and it is stored in the Python.

Only one LIP can be assigned to a Linking Panel (Ex. If you link to the Ferry Terminal from the Nexus, it takes you to the LIP defined in the Python that matches that linking panel)

Having multiple LIPs would cause more problems, because the Python would need to have multiple links for a single panel, or randomly pick a link out of an array.

/me thinks that some offline testing of these theories is necessary :P

btw, I believe that the Journey Cloth links use WarpToSceneObject rather than using a defined LIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:53 pm 

Paradox wrote:
The problem still comes from keeping the server and the client in synch with each other. Right now, the server just sends the player to a predefined point.

When you add a radius and need to calculate it on-the-fly, unpredictable things start happening. (Players getting warped back to the LinkInPoint, All players being warped to the same part of the LinkInPoint, etc.)

Why would unpredictable things happen if all calculation is server side? The server only needs to send the client an initial position on link-in, which is simple enough to calculate and communicate. I'd only foresee a problem if the initial position is at all determined client-side, and in any multiplayer game that's a big no-no.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]