It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 am 

I suppose a few major points.

It is unlikely user made ages will be as interactive as Cyan's ages. I could be wrong, but it all depends on how in depth and complex the tools are for building ages that Cyan will release. Having software and tools that most to advance users can use to create worlds without having training and a degree in modeling is a big task. Thats just on modeling the ages and/or texturing them. Implementing mechanics besides gravity, collistion detection, and swiming/water would be very complex (all of what is needed for puzzles such as triggered events that would in some way alter the age in some way, be it a door or texture change). They may be little more then pretty places to walk around in. Which is cool... to a point. If there is no interaction or anything to be gained by visiting the ages users will seldom visit. The user ages, even if the most well made and grand are approved, will build up in a library with little activity and use. I hope Cyan takes this into account. We could end up with the most vast online world in history... with the lowest population to area ratio. (Look at this phenomion in the VR world of SecondLife, an almost totally user created, and seemingly totally empty world) But, as stated earlyer, its likely users will gather in busy areas such as D'ni and the countless user ages will be empty.

Though, on the positive side. It is far cheaper to review and test user created content then it is to make content from scratch. And faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:01 am 

Just my two cents - most of you know my views on this subject.

I just can't see Cyan relying on member created content to entice new members to the fold. Uru members will not pay a monthly subscription just to roam in amateur created Ages.

We want the Ages to be created by the experts at Cyan - or a simple to use ingame tool that everyone is privy to.

In essence, most (I'll wager) want to play an adventure game with puzzles - stemming from the original Myst theme - with the added innovation of sharing the experience online - that's all.

Turning the online game into a parody for a select few who claim to be 'expert' in the field of creating their own Ages sets a hierarchy that we can do without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Tokai, I think the user-created Ages is, mostly, to entice people who want to write THEIR OWN Ages. Some, though, (like me) would enjoy running around in other users Ages, of course!

But yes, Tokai, we all want the real Ages to be created by Cyan. Uncovering the adventure is what it's all about. I think Rand has made it pretty clear that, although they may allow user-created Ages sometime in the future, they won't replace Cyan-made Ages. In one of his interviews Rand said something like, 'As long as people don't mind if, at some point in the future, they find out that their Age no longer fits in the story...' As in, if and when user-created Ages are allowed... the story goes on and "official" Ages will continue.

Uru is all about You-R-You. You do what's fun for you. Cyan has stressed this as a major selling point. Maybe you want to explore and solve on your own... maybe you want a couple friends along... maybe you want a whole group. It's all about how you'd like to experience the adventure. And some would like to write their own, if inferior, Ages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:29 am 

Seriously, I thought this was a closed book...

But apparently not...

Age creation would be personal, you use your personal library shelf with 1 book that stores your ages. Somewhat like the city book is like, except you would be able to write a title under each pic as to tell what age it is.

That's just 1 way, or maybe have a personal nexus point where personal ages are for you and you only.

Like someone said it's about us. If people want to go see your age then if there is a guild system, perhaps the guilds would decide who gets to be in the public library and who does not.

This would allow the policing and all that what not.

But a simple fix for this would be the following... "check the box if your age is rated mature" if there is a mature mark next to your box, even though... It would take too long to even do anything... I don't know what you would call it... "non-christian friendly?" who really cares anyway i dont know... but whatever....

Even after all that you would have to invite someone to your age, and depending on their current age as in how old they are, they would either be able to go in if it was mature, or be denied because they are too young... simple solution geeze.... if it doesn't affect you, don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 am 

How about we wait and revisit this topic after the game gets going? We don't know how Uru will evolve. How age creation will be implemented will depend on the state of Uru. And we have no idea what that is going to be right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:37 am 

:D I concur with Bluelightnight, Cyan will most probably have their hands full putting this show on the road - the game is still under beta (testing). We can all build castles in the sky - but let's get the show going first. And then debate whether all the wild suggestions are actually viable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 am 

It would seem that age creation is the kind of thing that everyone that's played any myst game has dreamt about at one time or another. "You mean he writes a book, and then you can travel to another world? I want to do that!" In some ways it is one of the essential draws to this universe. In Uru, suddenly we see that technically it becomes possible. This is exciting, darn exciting, and there's no wonder the topic won't stay down.

Now many people don't understand just how difficult it is, I sure don't understand it. It must be an immense project, even if you already started with a huge library of textures, models, basic interactions, SOUNDS, triggers... No doubt that the majority of people would be unable to master these variables. Even if an extremely simplistic interface was implemented, it still takes vision and design to produce something interesting and worth visiting. This artistic vision, irrelevant of design tools and skill, is not a common thing.

But then again, if such tools were made available, no doubt there would be fan groups formed to create ages, and together people could each add a little bit of their own talents and produce a real masterpiece. I'll add some ambient noise, you add the music from your band, you get the textures since you live in some woodlands, someone else designs layout and interaction... I have no doubt that if the tools were made available, enough talented people would get together and make it sing.

Ages are already a form of inventory in the game, but right now everyone just winds up accumulating all the same ages, so what's the real incentive to inviting someone to your Kadish, or your Teledahn? But now say you can invite someone to an age that you helped put together with your group, now that's something. "Look what I made!"

The ability to write worlds is the wish that myst all gave us. Yes there are huge logistical hurdles to be jumped, but this idea is just too intriguing, too cool, and has the potential to unleash so much creativity, that it will refuse to die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
no doubt there would be fan groups formed to create ages
There are. link. It's far too early for new ages in URU Live though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41 pm 

Well, the main problem I guess is that, other than inappropriate content, it would be extremely difficult to make quality levels and store something that large online.

What about some sort of level editor for offline gameplay of some sort, or for the old version of Uru? not AS cool as multiplay, but I guess you could still e-mail it to friends, or have some sort of terminal online that let you download it within the game, even if you couldn't have other people in there with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:12 am 

Creating Ages would be something I would enjoy doing more than anything. I would give just about anything (keeping it reasonable), to be able to make my own world in Uru. I have many worlds made, currently in writing - that could be visited via MUCK. It would be very awesome if I could actually *link* to these worlds and walk around them, making them feel more real.

KI #00449231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:39 pm 

I registered just to post in this thread. You see, I have not / do not intend to buy this game. However, if there is a custom age creation system, I would buy it without question, for any price up to and including a kidney donation. This should give you an idea of how much of a profit boost this would be.

As for the quality control issue, there could be a user rating system, in which each user could rate an age from 1 to 10, or something like that, which would show up on a gauge next to the linking book in the library, or something like that.

Oh, and two words: Polygon limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:06 pm 

Gyrofalcon wrote:
I registered just to post in this thread. You see, I have not / do not intend to buy this game. However, if there is a custom age creation system, I would buy it without question, for any price up to and including a kidney donation. This should give you an idea of how much of a profit boost this would be.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that you expect a one-time fee for Uru Live; however, it will be exclusively available for a subscription. I.e., you pay a monthly rate.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:35 pm 

Gyrofalcon wrote:
You see, I have not / do not intend to buy this game. However, if there is a custom age creation system, I would buy it without question

Why would you want to create content for a game that you don't enjoy enough to play? Some kind of ego thing, where you want to prove to the world that your content is better than the Cyan stuff you don't want to play with? If you just want to use someone's engine to boost your own style of non-D'ni-related fantasy, there are some already out there -- go get a copy of the Source SDK and start making mods. You can be in the Age creation business before the day is over.

I'm not trying to be hostile. I just don't understand where you're coming from, and why you think there are so many like you that Cyan and GameTap should fall all over themselves to serve the requirements of your market. One person donating a kidney is not enough of a profit boost to make or break Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:47 pm 

Gyrofalcon wrote:

I don't really understand your position either, Gyrofalcon. Could you give us some insight into why you don't want UruLive, but would if you could create your own Ages?

By the way, Cyan is already planning to implement some sort of Age creation system into Uru Live somehow. Latest I heard was that it would start to kick in about 6 months after launch.

Quote:
One person donating a kidney is not enough of a profit boost to make or break Cyan.

I don't know - it depends on how nice the kidney is.
*eyes Gyrofalcon*

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:32 am 

Mmmmmmm......Kiiiidneeeyyyss......*droool* </homer>

I'm with the other people here, Gyro. Why *would* you only buy Uru Live if they implement Age creation into it? There are many different things you can use to make your own worlds, you know. Multiverse, OSMP...or if you're rich enough, maybe Second Life? Uru Live is about exploring worlds, learning about the D'ni...not creating your own. Don't get me wrong, I would love to build my own Ages, but that's not why I want Uru Live. I want it because I enjoy exploring other worlds and learning about who created them, and why they were created.

If you are using Age creation as your deciding factor for buying this game...well, I don't think this is the right game for you.

WOOOHOOOO! Post #100! In your face! * runs *

KI #00449231

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next