It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:25 am 

I recall some good observations about how an age-making feature could turn uru into a giant empty universe where ego-centric players do nothing but create ages.

What if each player were only allowed to modify/write their personal age: Relto, much as they do now?

You could run into some of the same problems, such as gamers who do little more than customize their ages, even though they only have one, but that wouldn't be very different from gamers who spend all their time customizing their own avatars.

Either way, only being allowed to write one's personal age could simplify things enough to make an age-making feature workable. Besides, we would have something to do while we're waiting for plot to develop, or for new ages to appear.

Especially if we're allowed to make our own puzzles (simple things, such as moving walls/mountainsides/cliffsides/whatever with secret switches or lever combinations) it could be fun to invite other players to figure out our brainteasers.

On a small scale, we would be doing Cyan's job for them, with the exception of furthering the DRC/Yeesha plotline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:46 am 

This is exactly what I was thinking, Riven!

Personally, I don't think I'm clever enough to write a complete puzzle driven age. Some of the things they come up with are really outstanding. What I WOULD love to do is create a Relto age from scratch. So, when I come home to my own age, I know that it's completely different and unique to me. Not the same as everyone else's.

Games like Second Life, and There, and most importantly, The Sims have kind of built up the idea of personalization. I love to customize things, make them different and more personal.

I'm sure there are people out there that would be excellent and creating full ages, and for them I think there should be some kind of "Age Submission" tool for them to provide ideas to Cyan. For the rest of us 'tinkerers', it would be really fun (if provided some simple tools) for us to really create our own Relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:57 am 

To all of the people who think it's some sort of ego inflation thing -

1. Not only would content creation allow me to create ages, it would give virtually infinite replayability to the game. One of the reasons I would not otherwise buy it is because I don't like the idea of paying monthly for a game with all one-time content.

2. Do you know how many writers write simply because they love to?

3. The community would be a lot more interesting: people would have a lot more to talk about, and hopefully there could be collaboration on projects.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeform_roleplaying_game

Basically, at the moment, I view URU Live as what could be somewhat of a one-sided and tedious game. Age creation would add the nessicary extra dimension.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:49 am 

it would give it a reason to be online. without it, it's just an updated. full 3D adventure game with voice chat
that you haveto pay for each month (I think we're all quite sertain URUlive isn't going to be free)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:01 am 

Quote:
without it, it's just an updated, full 3D adventure game with voice chat
and interaction with the DRC, which will be a big part of the story.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:08 pm 

Gyrofalcon wrote:
3. The community would be a lot more interesting: people would have a lot more to talk about, and hopefully there could be collaboration on projects.

Currently there are a lot of first person shooters out there with rather complex editing programs (Doom 3 for example). People learn to use thee progams and make some great stand alone games based only on the graphics engine. Eventually stand alone expansions made by teams of people could be included in the game. Maybe in a library in the main city perhaps.

Likewise I can see Cyan sponcoring a contest to teams of age builders to design the best series of ages with its own puzzles/characters/etc. If you click on the news link above you can already see that Cyan has done this with a t-shirt design. Why not go bigger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

What I see as the primary factor that could define the game is the ability to create Ages!

I am most certain that Cyan will only accept Ages that meet their standard of quality. I don't think the ability to wander through badly textured and modeled Ages will do much to the game's benefit, for both the IC issue and the simple issue of marketing. No one is going to want to play a game that has worlds that look so drastically different from the rest. It won't look good, it won't seem real. If I know Cyan, these types of Ages will most definitely not be in Uru Live.

But on to my main point: I see Age creation as a genius move on Cyan's part because it will give the ability to fans - many of which have a lot of imagination - to realize their own dream Ages. It will enhance the story of Myst (as in now WE can make worlds, just like the D'ni!) 8). It will teach fans how to become artists and 3d modelers, if ever they want to become ones. But more importantly, these fan Ages, if good, which I'm sure there will be a few, will become part of the Uru mythology and forge it's future. Simple explorers could become major characters as the story evolves and Cyan sees how the community reacts to certain fan made content. And then we get to a point where Cyan is working in unison with the Age creators, developing dramas where, as I've said before, they are now characters.

Our Ages could either be Ages that we as citizens of the new D'ni created from our imaginations, or actual D'ni Ages that we worked on in unison with Cyan. That's basically how I see the (idealistic) future of Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:59 am 

The ability to make custom content would unquestionably be a good thing. However, the decision to spend time making such custom content creation easy enough for people to do may not be such a good one.

How can you deny people the ability to go to custom Ages they want to go to? That is taking their rights away, and in the Cavern, we all have unalienable rights given to us by Yahvo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:40 am 

If people made thier own ages, wouldn't it muck around with the story line or would it just be a "ahahahahahahahah THERE IS A BRICK COLLUM COMING OUT OF MY RELTO, CHECK IT OUT" KIND OF THING?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:36 am 

He won't be able to use any Cyan intelectual propery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:36 am 

Quote:
How can you deny people the ability to go to custom Ages they want to go to? That is taking their rights away, and in the Cavern, we all have unalienable rights given to us by Yahvo.

Ok...well...take it up with Yahvo then. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:13 pm 

It's a good idea, for the most part. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I mentioned this in another topic, but I'll reiterate it here:

I think this would work if Cyan supplied us all with several different "assets" of an age that we could all arrange in different ways to come up with different ages.

It's sort of like Relto: Relto has many additional "Page" add-ons to it each including many different small assets that can be added to Relto, but what people don't realize is that with all these different add-ons there are essentially dozens of different possible Reltos one could have!

So this is what I am talking about here- Every explorer can create ONE age like this, and every age will be essentially made out of the same stuff- each age will be essentailly the same age, but with different characteristics the player chooses from a list of Pre-added traits: (Day/night, island, grass, water, trees, etc.)

Essentially each age would probably have to be an island or closed in space of some sort, probably, but this can be fooled around with in different ways, most likely- perhaps the choice of having the "Island" being surrounded by a cliff to make it seem like it is part of a greater whole, or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:16 am 

nikolas wrote:
Just a slight objection here: I'm not sure whether it should be very easy to create our own ages. I mean, (talking in character) not every D'ni could write ages. Unless I'm mistaken, the Art of Writing was quite hard to learn and master. I somehow feel that maybe we should respect that aspect of the story, and having an easy to use age creation tool would spoil that in a way.

This is missing the obvious point: building Ages - whether in writing or in software - is challenging, but building good ones - that is an art that not all may master.

A writer will buy fine quality pens and paper (or perhaps a word processor). An artist will obsess over their brushes and paints (or buy expensive computer painting tools). A game map maker (this is what we are really talking about, after all) will not settle for lousy tools.

There is a link between the quality of tools and the quality of output - certainly between the quality of tools and the amount of time that must be wasted on haggling with lousy programs for the desired product. If you are wasting time with lousy tools, then you have less time to polish it up. You don't want to wait until 2020 for good Ages, do you?

If only you were aware of all the parallels your train of thought has had throughout the ages - in painting, sculpture, computer programming...sorry to be so aggressive and apparently hostile (I'm not, I swear), but this argument has always been a crock of poo and needs to be euthanized whenever spotted in the wild.

TakuaKaita600 wrote:
I think this would work if Cyan supplied us all with several different "assets" of an age that we could all arrange in different ways to come up with different ages.

This would result in boring, cookie-cutter ages. I would personally be happiest if a small group of people in the fandom were able to create Ages for the rest of us. Being able to make an Age that is just like everybody else's (except I left the decorative fringe off the roof, or didn't put some rolling stones on the ground) defeats the purpose of the initiative.

That said, I wouldn't mind customizable Bevins, which makes substantially more sense. I just don't want this to become an issue of "what do we have the most time to do?" In that case, I would say skip the cookie cutter stuff, and go for original content - which is the whole reason I got interested in Myst Online in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, but see, that's not what I meant.

I use Relto as an example, but my idea is much more than that!

Imagine every possible trait of a small age being availible as a small asset. I mean down to the shape of the land itself, and its size and surroundings.
I'm not talking about Relto, where one has a tree and one doesn't.

I mean you can choose from dozens of Shapes of land, what trees should go where, what color sky you have, what kind of environment, what sound effects surround you, and so, so much more! Just imagine the possibilities.

THink about SimCity or RollerCoaster tycoon. You pick a tree out from the bin, place it down, change the land, add in water, etc.

THat's what I mean by having these traits readily availible. Cyan bundles them all together in an age "file" which we, at some point, design. See? Not cookie-cutter Per Se, but I understand your argument.

I think it should be something like this because it would be relatively easy for Cyan to do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next