It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

My all time favorite Uru pick!

Why oh why doesn't Cyan release more screenshots like this one? The new Live pics don't even come close. Ever since Ubisoft appeared on the scene, none of the released images have matched the magic and wonder of those first few Mudpie pics. They may have been realtime, but they had the beauty and vivacity of Riven.

btw, if there was an Uru box cover, I think this would pretty much fit the bill, don't you?

Another good one is http://www.uruobsession.com/?module=Gal ... &view=1688

So I'm pleading you Cyan/Gametap, release the kind of screenshots that you (Cyan) would have released in the early Mudpie days. As you can see, they made a difference. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:48 am 

Here is one of mine,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow, those are great pictures - so evocative, even mysterious!

I think that the purpose of the new screenshots is to show that Uru LIve is a multiplayer game - hence all the screenshots with more than one person.

I admit - I do like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:25 pm 

@ mszv,

Your wish has been granted. :lol:. Here is one from the Eden Gira neighborhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm 

You really like that sharpness filter, don't you. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

A lot of things have changed since the original MUDPIE shots were taken. Especially in Teledahn, where a lot of those sporelike structures you see on the horizon were subsequently taken out, and a lot of the haze as well.

I believe a lot of these shots (like the famous "beach on Noloben" image) were taken using either massing models of the Age, mockups of the Age geometry to see how it would look before they had to start doing things like adding details, scripting, trying to reduce the polycount, etc., or Ages just past the massing model stage. If you take a gander at the second Teledahn pic (the one in the Baron's office) you'll notice that the three large mushrooms out the window are identical. These, as well as a lot of the spores you see, have been missing for a long time, since ABM even. IIRC now through the window you see nothing but water.

The new shots seem to show Uru as-is, which is fine by me. It's still a gorgeous game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:01 pm 

@ chucker
Quote:
You really like that sharpness filter, don't you.

I sure do. I am an old man and my vision is not as good as it use to be.

So instead of using very low resolution KI images, I use screenshots instead. I also use the free WindowXP IrfanView photo editor. I am not trying to be more catholic than the pope, either. (And no, I am not a beleiver, except for the Quantum theory). If Cyan could not do it with their images, I can.

Let there be Light. (one of my favorite sayings) :twisted: :P :lol:

Go to Teledahn harbour in fly mode and take a KI picture of the big "hairdryer" from about the same spot I did and lets compare it with my image. Mine is a Ki image this time.

Post subject: Group Pics
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:53 pm 

Well, I was in the Safety First neighborhood, and I have a few pics:

Aah, yes, the old wall-climbing suits!

A nice group shot of the Safety First neighborhood.

Hmmmm, is this possible?

http://www.sf243.de/[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 am 

Quote:

Hmmmm, is this possible?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that's priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I've always been fond of this pic of me getting my groove on. :lol:

I don't remember it being so fuzzy though.

Post subject: Screenshots and Posters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 pm 

I agree with Yali...there is a lot of room for really good visuals that show the drama of the worlds. Very high resolution. Some of the concept drawings even have the "mystery." Remember the teaser campaign for Riven? I do, fondly.

Shots with all of the explorers standing around leave me kinda cold. The original vision for the games was the "immediacy" of the worlds. (Or a shot with 1-3 explorers would be better than the crowd shots. Most who play are probablygoing to play with a scouting party, not a gang. Apart from time spent in the city.)

And, to go back to an old bi-atch of mine: IT'S TIME FOR POSTERS! Let's get a couple of affordable but high-quality images (like the old Channelwood poster or 'Ages of Myst' poster) available for fans. I'm ready with my $20. Are operators standing by??

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Exactly! All online games have avatars, what I want to see is the Ages! Pictures like the one I posted above are going to give the casual gamer a view into a game world that's stunningly beautiful, and stunningly different. The Teledahn pic is great because it's so rich, so graphically detailed, and original. The colors and textures are subtle, yet striking. Try comparing this image to any of the later shots and you'll see which image your eyes will be drawn to more. 8) I've tried this with many Myst images. P.S Try doing the same with the Riven box and any other Myst box. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, the point I'm getting at is that I want Uru to be advertized like Riven! I want cryptic, high budget, creative ads - remember the Old Timey Town one? or the Train Tracks?

Beyond that, I want all of Uru's commercial art - as in strategy guides, the official website, advertisements, merchandise, and packaging (if it'll exist some day) - to be as beautiful and slick as Riven's. Think of all the Riven posters, the soundtrack cases, the museum replicas, the clothing, the disc cases. To put it simply, Riven's commercial artwork was iconic and powerful - in that it made use of the various symbols found throughout the game cleverly and elegantly. There was no need for heavy duty photoshop work (like the MOUL logo, sadly), instead it was design that prevailed - simple, serious, sinister, powerful, and God darn beautiful!

Please Cyan/Gametap - Riven's commercial design and marketing is the key to the success of Uru.

Last edited by Yali on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:15 am 

I've made a Desktop background image that probably evokes the same feeling as the original screenshots by Cyan.

http://www.geocities.com/dvpdiner2/Uploads/DesktopPillar.PNG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:01 am 

Here's a picture from my KI, I got this in game while I was messing around. :) Image
Edit: But who could forget...Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:05 am 
Obduction Backer

There's 59 rounds worth of photographs to peruse on DPWR's Golden KI competition... there's some really nice stuff in there... and even nicer stuff in the winner's category :).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next