It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:54 pm 

A space-station age...........??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 pm 

How about an age with giant bismuth crystals jutting out of the ocean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, reminds me of Selenitic. :) Have you ever heard of the Cave of Swords, in Mexico? Pretty cool, in terms of crystals!
I want to make an Age with such detail that you can see the water drops catching at the tips of leaves and falling, and the leaf bouncing up when the drop falls off of it. And what about seasons...? I bet that would take an extraordinary amount of programming.
Robert: I'm not at programming stage or anything yet. This is more just me dreaming of what I'd like to make eventually. But thanks for the info on python people; we're going to need lots of programmers in the future, I'd say. How are things going on importing Ahra Pahts & co. into Uru? Any fresh news about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jennifer_P: We're working right now on integrating several pieces of the city (that were developed separately) into a whole. I hate to give timelines because we'd have to commit to them ;-) so all I can say is that we hope to have Ahra Pahts accessible via ULM soon.

tetters: DRINKIN' AGE - good one! :lol: May you reach that age soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 pm 

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:

I'm 34. Been drinking for a while now. Glad you found it funny.

-Anonymous-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm 

tetters wrote:

i think he meant Age, not age ;)

but either way..funny :P

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 pm 

pixilpink wrote:
tetters wrote:

i think he meant Age, not age ;)

but either way..funny :P

Either way...I may reach that "Age" tomorrow night. LOL!!!

-Anonymous-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry in advance for length. I've put some thought into this :twisted:

I figured it would be nice to have some storyline, but not something too intrusive (don't want to get tangled with any possible future cyan storylines). What I came up with was a very small, secret group of people who were dissatisfied with some of the D'ni laws for what you could and couldn't write. After all, there surely must have been d'ni people who wanted to experiment with the fantastic.

It would be maybe 4 or 5 low to mid-level guild members from the maintainers, book, ink and writing guilds. They create a little secret society in the last years before the fall, hoping to experiment with ideas for fantastic ages that would be too unstable or dangerous to be approved. Because of the guilds they're in, they can nick the books and ink they need and keep an ear out in case the authorities start to catch on.

The upshot: the starting point is a small, simple office in the city recently opened by the DRC. However, it has a diary with some of this backstory and a hidden book compartment the DRC overlooked (and a puzzle to open it). The book links to a hideout age with several security measures (i.e. puzzles) to get through, eventually leading you to the room holding their experiments: illegal and strange descriptive books.

Age 1: A very small, hollow planet, situated very close to its sun, orbiting rapidly. The only artificial structure is a viewing area below and above ground with a connecting ladder. In the hollow beneath the surface is giant root-ball covered in glowy moss and maybe some little critters flying around. Creepers come off the main ball and go out into the crust of the planet. On the surface, these make bushy growths. The days are only two minutes long, and the sun is so close it takes up half the sky. When it gets high enough, the bushes on the surface are burnt to ash and the walls of the viewing room become opaque so you don't do the same. When the sun passes, you can see out again and watch the bushes regrow in a matter of seconds.

Age 2: This planet is mostly gaseous, and the dominant life form is a microbe that grows so thickly that the air is filled with a thick black fog. There is only a thin (10-20m) layer in the atmosphere where they do not thrive. Conveniently, this layer of gasses is also hospitable to human/d'ni. The link lands you on one of many chunks of rock that float in this layer. The secret society has installed some basic necessities such as railings, walkways and chains to connect several rock chunks, all of it pretty rusted up. Within the layer are quick, swallow-type critters that fly in and out of the black fog, eating the microbes. These are occasionally caught and eaten by big glowing balloon-like animals with tentacles that float around. The balloon animals will 'plant' themselves on a rock at the end of their life cycle and grow into a hard white stalk. The flowers on these stalks spawn more little balloon critters.

Age 3: The link-in here leaves you in mid-air. A fair distance off, the remains of an artificial structure lie shattered on the tilted face of a massive piece of rock. It is floating extremely slowly down a semi-solid channel of lava. The entire surface of the planet from horizon to horizon (far below you) is filled with fire, volcanoes, lava, and razor-sharp formations of broken obsidian. Clearly, whatever this age was supposed to be, it turned out to be unstable. You fall through empty air for a bit before (hopefully) auto-linking back to relto.

So that's probably more info than you were looking for. Those are pie-in-the-sky ideas, so they very well may have to change depending on what sort of tools we end up with. For now though, I can still dream... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:55 pm 

geekmonger wrote:
What I came up with was a very small, secret group of people who were dissatisfied with some of the D'ni laws for what you could and couldn't write. After all, there surely must have been d'ni people who wanted to experiment with the fantastic.

You can't break the D'ni laws of writing.

Well, okay, that's not exactly true. To be more specific, the D'ni never discovered how to break their laws of writing. To them, they we're should and should not's. They were absolutes set by the Maker when He gave them the Art back on Garternay (wow that's a lot of capitalization). As for those who did not want to follow the rules of what one should and should not write, they were a rather large group of people who went to Terahnee.

Surely a few may have disagreed with those rules, but to have enough from each specific guild necessary to make a complete descriptive book in a specific point in time is probably unlikely. You may want to read (or re-read) the Me'erta Story in the Library, it has to do with this sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:13 pm 

Maybe we can have a "Galaxy Quest" Age...

Q) "Where are you going?"
A) "To see if there's a pub!"

:D

Underground, overground, wombling free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I seem to recall somewhere that the D'ni frowned on breaking the laws of physics in Age writing, but that it was possible...? Anyway, geekmonger isn't breaking the laws, he's just stretching them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:14 am 

so, far what i have seen in Ages are vehicles that have defined paths.

I would love to see an age with a glider that could be controlled by the character or possibly a "mini sub" that is not on rails. Better ,possibly would be making 2-3 of each available within the same age. time of use for these would be limited to the amount of power or air available whilst in use. puzzles could be things that need to be manipulated during use or upon landing of the crafts , or the vehicles could be just for transport between islands.

Another would be an age with islands or structures that interact with a controllable weather system. by controlling the weather one could bring structures together or move them apart to achieve certain configurations which would give clues or culminate in a conclusion which tells a story.

thirdly, an age with many animals that could be coaxed or maneuvered to be used as counterweights or to be temporarily trapped making combinations. Thusly, making the proper combination would be the solution to either the Age or a portion of the age. the solution could also then be made variable by time of day/night, or other means, making the age re-playable.

just a few from the top of my head.

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Very creative ideas, folks!

Again, if you want to try your hand at creating your own ages, read about it here.

There's also places to post pictures of sketches or similar age ideas over at Age Builders. You might be able to team up with a modeler or programmer to help you turn your ideas into a real, explorable age!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ichabod_L wrote:
You can't break the D'ni laws of writing.

Well, okay, that's not exactly true. To be more specific, the D'ni never discovered how to break their laws of writing. To them, they we're should and should not's. They were absolutes set by the Maker when He gave them the Art back on Garternay (wow that's a lot of capitalization). As for those who did not want to follow the rules of what one should and should not write, they were a rather large group of people who went to Terahnee.

Surely a few may have disagreed with those rules, but to have enough from each specific guild necessary to make a complete descriptive book in a specific point in time is probably unlikely. You may want to read (or re-read) the Me'erta Story in the Library, it has to do with this sort of thing.

The d'ni imposed additional laws on writing beyond the physical constraints of the medium. For example, ages with a sun so close it's liable to burn you up, or ages with dangerous microbes would probably not be approved. If you really wanted to make an age with a giant death-sun, you were out of luck unless you broke the rules.

Also, in the ages Catherine wrote, we see that it is possible to break at least some laws of physics and still have a stable age.

Lastly, even though the D'ni broke away from Terahnee, they did so many centuries ago. Surely a few new people might have been born between then and the fall who had an interest in stretching the limits of the Art?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:45 am 

The Age that I am wanting to make, is sort of an amalgamation of;
Amateria,
Edanna,
Selentic,
Riven,
Eder Gira,
The outside of Ahnonay,
Schizm (thats right the first one, by Detalion studtios)

The main thing I have to do when the tool is available, is to test rolling a sphere from the inside and the sphere being translucent.

It also depends on how well the engine does in rendering outside enviroments, as some parts are very organic.

I already have a few ideas for puzzles;
A geyser form of a falcrum puzzle,
A ramp to increse the acceleration for an inverted parabolic puzzle,
A traditional maze, which may or may not have shifting walls,
3 dome roational puzzle,
A multiplayer puzzle, which may or may not be related to a Dam power puzzle,
An audio and numerical puzzle, but with little idea of what it will be themed upon.

It has a tempory name of Omnivarous, but i'll have to work out what a D'ni equivilent would be.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next