It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's an interesting name, Omnivarous... How'd you come up with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am 

Jennifer_P wrote:
That's an interesting name, Omnivarous... How'd you come up with it?

If you had played Myst 3 and read Atrus's journal, the name is more of a description than a name.

I'm trying to include many parts of good Ages from the grandmasters, into an Age that is more familiar to some of the South American civilizations.

Hence, the mazeI spoke of will most likely be underground and resemble the Catacombs of Paris, with ruins of a great city above surrounded by jungle and geothermally active canyons.

Tough part of modelling will be all the organic plants, maybe an animal or two, but I would like to include bio-organic tecnology mixed with more mechanical technology.

It will be a massive undertaking, and I am not sure that I can do all of it on my own. Its more of an Age that you'd expect Cyan to make.

The overall size of it will be a little larger that the whole of Gahreesen that we have now.

The translucent ball will serve as both transport as well as some of the puzzles.

I havn't got any thoughts yet of how to get the avatar inside a hollow sphere with no door, thougth at this stage I will think about using a "force field" with its generator being part of the chair that you sit on.

I plan on having the rideable sphere part of the Age able to let the player alter the puzzles and tracks so that you can have a "tour" of the Age.

Omni being that many parts will be "blurred" between organic and mechanical.
Varous - varoius attributes for a stable Age.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
If you had played Myst 3 and read Atrus's journal, the name is more of a description than a name.

Actually, I'm only up to Riven (haven't even finished it yet either!) :)

As to making the Age on your own, well all you really need are time and patience. Give yourself 5 years, and don't give up as you learn the tools, and you'll be able to make the Age all by yourself... Of course that's a little long... :shock:

So... Catacombs under ruins in the jungle. Sounds mysterious! Have you thought about what kind of jungle you're going to have? Because I was just researching the Carboniferous swamp forests for a project, and boy were they alien! A whole different sort of jungle than the one I'm used to.

And hey, I'm making a dam power puzzle too, in the termite/tree/pond Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:50 am 

Jennifer_P wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I'm only up to Riven (haven't even finished it yet either!) :)

As to making the Age on your own, well all you really need are time and patience. Give yourself 5 years, and don't give up as you learn the tools, and you'll be able to make the Age all by yourself... Of course that's a little long... :shock:

So... Catacombs under ruins in the jungle. Sounds mysterious! Have you thought about what kind of jungle you're going to have? Because I was just researching the Carboniferous swamp forests for a project, and boy were they alien! A whole different sort of jungle than the one I'm used to.

And hey, I'm making a dam power puzzle too, in the termite/tree/pond Age.

Have a look at Shizm, if you can find it, its plants are truly alien.
I think most of the plants will have a purple hue to them.

So enough of the green, its time for purple.

I have recently download some plant generators but I havn't got around to using them yet, as I am still trying to learn Blender3D for this and other projects.

Oh and don't forget that there will be geothermally active canyons.

So sorry there aren't and will not be any diagrams or screenshots of it fr quite some time.

Instead I can show you what I had done with playing around following tutorials that are cunfusing.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

And the red ball is kickable.
Age was loaded into Uru prime with ULM
[spoiler]
http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php ... aryManager
[/spoiler]

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:02 am 

If I had the skills I would something very mechanical full of machiney with gian rusty gears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:04 pm 

Grogyan, can you give us a link to where you found the tutorials? I've got the tools and some of the skills needed, but I usually need a tute to start me off or I just give up or get side-tracked.
I've got a few detailed blueprints for small ages laying around, but no real method of implementing them in a playable format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:52 pm 

There are some good tutorials over at Alcugs

http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/Making_Ages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:09 pm 

Lmf wrote:
There are some good tutorials over at Alcugs

http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/Making_Ages

The tools are outdated and won't work with MOUL. They pyPRP project is designed for URU ABM to Until URU. MOUL is a different file format and an altered engine.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Leonor: That sounds like it would be really cool to see, I love exploring old places and rusty machinery. Figuring out what it used to do and just climbing around on it would be awesome!
By the sound of it, I'd say there could be rich puzzle opportunities. Have you thought of any good ones yet?

Groygan: Purple, alright! My favorite color! I'm liking this Age better by the minute. Say, do you have any pictures (hand drawn or MS Paint stuff?) you could post? I'd like to see what you're thinking of. And by the way, I looked up Schizm and now I may have to buy it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:24 pm 

Jennifer_P wrote:
A lot of us already have plans for the Ages we want to make when the Age creation tools come out (we hope) in August.

Where did you get the time frame from? Please tell us your source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:30 pm 

Tiran wrote:
The tools are outdated and won't work with MOUL. They pyPRP project is designed for URU ABM to Until URU. MOUL is a different file format and an altered engine.

There is a link to learn Blender there, are you saying that Blender is outdated?
and the general tutorials of how you do a opening in a wall (ex. for a door),UV Texturing , Landscapes etc. in blender are they outdated too?

And even if you decide to use Pyprp tool and make your age "URU prime" compatible i'm sure Cyan can port it in to MOUL if your age is interesting enough.
(and if you have URU ABM/URU CC you can bugtest your age in the singel play with the help of uru library manager befor sending it to Cyan)

Last edited by Lmf on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:47 pm 

Lmf wrote:
There is a link to learn Blender there, are you saying that Blender is outdated?
and the general tutorials of how you do a opening in a wall (ex. for a door),UV Texturing , Landscapes etc. in blender are they outdated too?

And even if you decide to use Pyprp tool and make your age "URU prime" compatible i'm sure Cyan can port it in to MOUL if your age is interesting enough.
(and if you have URU ABM/URU CC you can bugtest your age in the singel play with the help of uru library manager befor sending it to Cyan)

The currently available tools based on pyPRP are outdated. The H'uru team works on a new implementation of the tool chain. Several months ago I was invited to join the team and I was asked to use my extended Python knowledge in order to optimize pyPRP. After a code review I decided against wasting my time with an optimization because it would require a major overhaul and rewrite of the code.

PyPRP was a great tool and it was the first tool that was able to create ages. But it was more of a naturally grown project than a cleanly designed project. The H'uru team uses the extended knowledge that was made during the development of the tool to create a new tool chain.

As of this time we have no code that interacts with a 3d modeling software as Blender. The new tools are going to have a Python interface but the rest is open. The Blender/pyPRP based tutorials might be partly or fully portable to the new tool chain.

Personally I highly doubt that Cyan is going to have time porting your age to the new code base. You'll have a better chance when you help to develop a compatible Blender interface for the new code base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:44 pm 

Jennifer_P wrote:
Groygan: Purple, alright! My favorite color! I'm liking this Age better by the minute. Say, do you have any pictures (hand drawn or MS Paint stuff?) you could post? I'd like to see what you're thinking of. And by the way, I looked up Schizm and now I may have to buy it!

Sorry there isn't any notes or screenshots, but play Schizm, and that may give you an idea of the type of Age I want to build.

Grrr

Now I want to play both Schizm and Myst 3 again at the same time. *Hunts to try and find disks*

http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Are the tutorials i'm working off plus blender noob to pro.

The only tools available are for the Uru Prime and Uru CC game, Cyan and the group that made the tools will discuss at some point in the future about having tools that work with blender for MOUL.
That said, Cyan uses 3D Studio Max and have already made a complete Max plugin for them to use.
Max IS expensive, and many won't be able to afford it, but Blender is free but it can export to 3ds format, the format which 3D Studio Max understands.
We don't know what the new tools will look like, so its all sceptical at this time, however the group will most likely have a tool that works with MOUL before Cyan agrees to making an Official one. Wait and see.

[spoiler]
My interpretation from digging around at this place.
http://agebuilders.vofd.org/forum/
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:28 pm 

Grogyan wrote:
The only tools available are for the Uru Prime and Uru CC game, Cyan and the group that made the tools will discuss at some point in the future about having tools that work with blender for MOUL.

That's wrong. Cyan did neither help the group to develop the tools nor help to release it. The group got *no* information from Cyan. They reversed engineered the PRP format and the encryption routines and keys.

Also the group is already discussion the topic for a long time with Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 am 

Tiran wrote:
PyPRP was a great tool and it was the first tool that was able to create ages. But it was more of a naturally grown project than a cleanly designed project. The H'uru team uses the extended knowledge that was made during the development of the tool to create a new tool chain.

PyPRP actually wasn't the first tool; ycikamookow wrote an exporter for 3DS Max almost a year before PyPRP was started :wink:

However, ycikamookow's plugin was never released.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next