It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:29 am 

I don't know if it's the same one, but there's a tree near the Bahro door in Kemo that you can kind of climb into. You can jump onto one of the branches from a rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:36 pm 

The ones closest to the fountain you can get up by jumping from the path that's higher up. Also, theres a rock ledge you can stand on by the journey door that allows you to get on a few. Also there are various places where rocks give you the necessary altitude.

Something to note is that the trees closest to the first journeycloth, the one on the pillar to your right as you're walking from the spawn point to the journey door, are not climbable. Trust me. I've tried

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:44 pm 

Text deleted because I put it in the wrong place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, I've tried climbing lots of the trees because I heard there was a way of getting up on one of those big stones.

Post subject: back to the ropes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:08 am 

Well, I doubt that the rope climb would be possible if Cyan didn't make it so... and I would like them to make it a little easier in Live, also not so easy to fall through the tent, and make that rope from the tent top area to the upper ledge of the building climbable....

But, possible for the discovery that awaits those of excellent balance to be enjoyed by other routes, for those who can't seem to stay on the darn rope... :)

Post subject: More rope please
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:08 pm 

The original tent climb may have just been the idea of some wonderful programmer, but if they want to extend the second set of ropes the rest of the way up I don't think anyone will complain. I for one would love to walk along the ledge of the building and look thru a specific spy room angled window. Besides I am sure anyone falling off the building, or jumping would panic link before going splat on the sidwalk. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, being able to climb the ropes is a side-effect of them having clipping planes that keep you from running through them from the side. The walls go up the rope, and you can walk on top of them. It's a glitch more than a bug, and definitely not something done intentionally ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:42 pm 

yup. By making it impossible to run through the ropes, they made it possible to climb along them. The solution? Steeper ropes, that can't be climbed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:11 pm 

Maratanos wrote:
Do tell what tent-smash does for those of us who haven't access to a working UserKI...

If you are in Ae'Gura, it warps you to several hundred feet above tent level, and then drops you. I prefer to use /jump3 while standing under one of the overhangs myself though. /tentsmash sometimes makes you panic link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 pm 
Cyan Employee

Let's just get this one out of the way - the rope climb is going away - it's a bug.

That said, we have heard loud and clear that there is quite a group of you who likes this kind of "gameplay" so we'll try to implement it in other, more "realistic" places other than climbing a rope that holds a tent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:36 pm 

It'd be possible. Just not by walking on top of it. It'd have to be a more shinny-esque thing. However, the tent would probably collapse if you tried...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:32 am 
Cyan Employee

rsjm wrote:
"gameplay" .

:roll:

Shakes head...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 am 

rsjm wrote:
Let's just get this one out of the way - the rope climb is going away - it's a bug.

That said, we have heard loud and clear that there is quite a group of you who likes this kind of "gameplay" so we'll try to implement it in other, more "realistic" places other than climbing a rope that holds a tent.

I'm sorry you guys view it that way. I'll miss it, big time.

It's sorta hard to describe how much fun that silly ol' tent was -- lining up to climb the rope... stepping in the wrong part of the roof and falling through to the inside... exploring the inside and trying to get out. It represented the spirit of free-form play that is so much a part of Uru. Hard to convey it in words.

I guess you'd have to have "been there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:53 am 
Creative Kingdoms

rsjm wrote:

You've made a mistake. This "feature" is part of the community spirit. It is in the "heart" of a popular place to congregate. It is equally near two Nexus terminals. It has a history. It is one of the first experiences of a cooperative effort a new visitor gets to see. It inspires people to help others achieve something more simple and less intense than a long puzzle. It is an introduction to a larger phenomenon.

If the rope climb had bug-inducing side effects, it could be coded properly instead of removing it. Bend with the wind instead of against it, as the philosophy goes. If this was a mistake, a bug, all I can say is lots of mistakes get unintended results and become popular inventions. This was a popular mistake. And when you move popular things to "approved" contexts, they often fail to stay popular because it no longer belongs to those who made it their own.

My gut reaction is that if you must take it away to fix bugs, perhaps there are more important things to fix before removing an old friend. I am disappointed. It seems rather like removing the fun stuff from the playground to make it so safe that no one goes there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:48 am 

rsjm wrote:
...we'll try to implement it in other, more "realistic" places other than climbing a rope that holds a tent.

In a world where kicking baskets to make a bridge, coaxing fireflies who fear water, and being lifted twenty feet on a jet of steam are "realistic," climbing a rope that holds a tent isn't?

*scratches head*

Last edited by tkwiggins on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next