It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 am 
Creative Kingdoms

tkwiggins wrote:
rsjm wrote:
...we'll try to implement it in other, more "realistic" places other than climbing a rope that holds a tent.

In a world where kicking baskets to make a bridge, coaxing fireflies who fear water, and being lifted twenty feet on a jet of steam are "realistic," climbing a rope that holds a tent isn't?

*scratches head*

You forgot the the Gahreesen jump to the Bahro door where you drop 200 feet to rock and land without your tibias being driven up through your shoulders and your head dropped into your pelvic floor. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:10 am 

rsjm wrote:
Let's just get this one out of the way - the rope climb is going away - it's a bug.

That said, we have heard loud and clear that there is quite a group of you who likes this kind of "gameplay" so we'll try to implement it in other, more "realistic" places other than climbing a rope that holds a tent.

I agree with JWPlatt's sentiments, with just one more thing to add. Just because something can be fixed doesn't mean it MUST be fixed. For all the other bugs, yes, but not this one :)

Ashtar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:18 am 

Hmm...I have mixed feelings about the rope going away.

That rope was the bane of my UU existance for quite some time, LOL!

But it was great to see people climbing it backwards, because I could barely do it forewards! :lol:

We had some great times on that rope....

I suppose I am more confused then upset. I am just wondering why Cyan would waste their time "fixing" something that isn't broken? No offense...I just dont understand it. *shrug*

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 am 

I loved climbing up the rope and going across to the other side and dropping down onto
the DRC Sign and just sitting there.
Oh well We were all spoiled in UU with the things we could do and places we could get to
I guess we have to face reality now and start "fresh"
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 am 

Easter Eggs are always fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:44 am 
Obduction Backer

We'll miss you, Tent Climb. I got to know some of my very best friends in Uru... in the world even... on top of that canvas. Thanks for all the memories.

*bows his head*

Tent Climb 2003-2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:17 am 

I just have to chime in on this..

I think that removing this "bug" would be tantamount to telling the very people that kept Uru alive for last few years that they do not matter.

Certainly, Cyan owns Uru and they can do whatever they please with it, but Uru is more than just a piece of software; it is a community and certainly the community is unhappy with Cyan's insistence that the tent-climb is "just a bug" to be eliminated.

I am a person that spent the last few years in Until Uru hoping and praying that, against all odds that Live would be back. Waiting on the tent.

I am unhappy.

Last edited by Jahuti on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:18 am 

I have only managed to climb the rope once. And yes, it was fun trying. It was the first thing I tried in the cavern, with the help and guidance of other explorers. It felt great, gave me an idea of what multiplayer puzzles would be like. I know we will have much more interesting stuff to do when Live launches, but I don't think the "tent rope bug" has ever hurt anyone so far!

P.S. It might be nice if someone posted a picture from up there. (Hope they won't lock the topic!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't see why everyone's making a big deal over this... I'm sure that in the old beta there were things like the rope climb that beta testers did to make the most of certain bugs, but does that mean that they should all remain bugs just so it preserves a few "good times?" The whole spin-sitting thing was a fun thing back in Prologue, I remember, but seeing it destroys the immersion and I'd be glad to see it go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Cyan wants our feedback. That doesn't mean they're always going to like it. No grounds to lock the thread.

I'd be sorry if the tent climb went. It's a focal / social point in Ae'gura, and great as an ice-breaker. It's a bit like the balcony jump in prologue. That took on a life of its own.

After a time, things like these cease to be just bugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:45 am 
Obduction Backer

/shrug Maybe without the tent, we'll be more encouraged to find new and exciting places to gather. It seems that we've gotten ourselves into a rut -- we almost invariably congregate in Tokotah Courtyard (or the fountain if we're in a hood)...maybe the Kahlo Pub...perhaps we should be moving into new areas and enjoying the scenery -- tell me, has anyone ever gathered in the Concert Hall, for example?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:59 am 

You have a point. However Tokotah is an intuitive gathering place anyway. It is quite broad. Small groups of explorers may walk around in other places, but it is not by chance that almost everyone links to Tokotah from Nexus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm 

tkwiggins wrote:
In a world where kicking baskets to make a bridge, coaxing fireflies who fear water, and being lifted twenty feet on a jet of steam are "realistic," climbing a rope that holds a tent isn't?

The tent climb was unrealistic to me, although I had a lot of fun doing it. The other stuff does make sense. THe tent would not be able to take the weight of that many people on it, well not even one. It's not a D'ni created tent. It's something the DRC brought down.

Mosquitoes will drive you nuts and follow you in the real world. When it rains hard enough they go away just to come out in full force after the rain. I can see the fireflies being similar.

If there is a large enough winds blowing up under you, it would lift you off your feet, plain physics. Although you may not be able to control yourself as easily as you can in game. But all in all it can happen.

The basket kicking is a flaw of not having hands. Hopefully one day hands might be added. Then this would be a little more realist.

No body said URU was perfect but it'd be nice to get closer to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:54 pm 
Cyan Employee

JWPlatt wrote:
It seems rather like removing the fun stuff from the playground to make it so safe that no one goes there.

Edit -

This post could be taken the wrong way. Cyan went back and forth on this issue, however in the end we decided to take out the tent climbing for other reasons. We have other plans.

Last edited by greydragon on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm 

:lol:

Yes, I still have a sore spot for that puzzle!! :wink:

~Kia

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next